How to Get Rid of Black Mold in Your Shower Caulking

$1

If you don't want to take the time and the expense to remove and replace your shower or bathtub caulking that is currently moldy, then this is a great way to remove the mold and mold stains that is very affordable and easy! Plus, it works amazing!
So, if you have a bathtub with caulk that looks like this, follow along!
You'll need cotton balls, gloves, water, and bleach. Eye protection and a ventilation mask also recommended.
Mix water and bleach together in a small dish, using only a little bleach. Open the window, turn on the fan, and wear gloves!

Dip a cotton ball into the bleach water and then apply the wet cotton ball directly to the caulking around your tub.
If you have moldy spots in the vertical caulking of your tub, stretch out the cotton balls a bit first before dipping them in the bleach water. Start with the highest part and then work your way down as the liquid dripping down will cause the ones below it to fall.
Let the cotton balls stay on the caulking for about 2 hours. Remove one and see if the mold is gone. If not, wait another hour.

If looks good, remove the cotton balls and dispose them in the trash.

You should now have beautiful caulking!
For more tips on using bleach and removing mold from caulking, head to my post (linked at the bottom) for all the details and to check out more of my cleaning tutorials.

And if you like smart tips like this, be sure to check out my ebook Speed Clean the Deep Clean which has more than 50 cleaning tutorials and cleaning tips for all areas of your home.

30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
20 Ways To Improve Your Drop Cloth
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
30 Stylish Update Ideas You'll Want To Use For Your Bedroom
Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
Katelyn Fagan

• Angel

Why not just use a spray bottle?

• DSanders

I had some spots in my shower, tried spraying straight bleach, among other stuff, and then I saw this post, I tried it and my shower is mold free! I will continue to use this method, as needed...(after a year, it has not returned, keep it up, without my glasses in the shower I hadn't realized the spots of mildew,🤦🏻‍♀️) as it works 100%!!! Thank you for sharing!!!

• Palino5

Straight peroxide, no dilution?

• Gabrielle Falk

It's my understanding, that ANY sort of bleach, chlorine, peroxide - only bleaches. In fact, from what I've been told, it only bleaches - doesn't kill black mould; which black mould is in fact toxic, and can cause very serious illnesses, and even death. As in Chicago, many years ago. Black mould was creeping up the wall of a/several house/s, that had basements & whatever else is stored in basements) - (I'm from Sydney, Australia - and generally our houses don't have basements). There were leakages from these boilers (for heat??), and some basement floors were semi-flooded; these basements did NOT dry out, and generally, a couple of inches of water remained in these basements, and the black mould - again deadly - crept up the walls of these houses. Over a period of time.And I guess in Chicago with your very cold winters, it would be very difficult for walls to dry out. In one instance, the mould continued to trravel up a certain wall, and reached the 2nd floor where young children were sleeping. It was a tragic event, as a baby in a small bed/cot was next to this wall where the mould was; and the baby died - totally infected with the mould spores, the spores get into your lungs, and kill you. Yet the other child or children in this room, did not suffer as badly, were still unwell, but did not perish as they were not next to the infected wall. There were several cases of similar infestation - but until forensics were carried out, the police assumed in was child murder; and in fact it was not. It was black mould. Bleach will not kill black mould, and I know this from a personal perspective. One of my sister in laws lives in Tasmania, (in winter cold, and wet and damp), and she and her husband had built a stray-bail house - all to architectural and council regulations. Unfortunately, a small portion of the building instructions was not accurate - water got in - penetrated the roof, walls, floors and because the inner construction of the house was straw (very well ensconced in plastic - industrial wrap - and plaster) again as per regulations, mould set in, and became black mould - the deadliest of all. They were both sick for years+++ until someone finally turned on 'the light' in a medical sense, and found out that a particular room had been totally infested. Bleach WAS NOT an option, as it was scientifically proven that it did nothing, except bleach/whiten. They had to undertake severe remedial work (basically tearing part of the roofing system apart, and that particular room), and do some partial re-building. And in fact last year, the husband died of lung cancer (2019). Spores in the lung/s. Black mould is deadly and cannot be eradicated by bleach. If you have a severe case of black mould, don't muck around with 'home hints'. Do the right thing and get professionals in, before the mould extends to other parts of your house - ie, bedrooms, wardrobes, clothing, crockery (yes!), going down into the bottom level of your house. It is NOT something to be messed around with. Alternatively. ARE U SURE IT IS BLACK MOULD?? In the bathroom. Couldn't it be just grime? Just saying....