Katelyn Fagan
Katelyn Fagan
  • San Marcos, TX

How to Get Rid of Black Mold in Your Shower Caulking

$1

If you don't want to take the time and the expense to remove and replace your shower or bathtub caulking that is currently moldy, then this is a great way to remove the mold and mold stains that is very affordable and easy! Plus, it works amazing!
how to get rid of black mold in your shower caulking
So, if you have a bathtub with caulk that looks like this, follow along!
You'll need cotton balls, gloves, water, and bleach. Eye protection and a ventilation mask also recommended.
Mix water and bleach together in a small dish, using only a little bleach. Open the window, turn on the fan, and wear gloves!

Dip a cotton ball into the bleach water and then apply the wet cotton ball directly to the caulking around your tub.
If you have moldy spots in the vertical caulking of your tub, stretch out the cotton balls a bit first before dipping them in the bleach water. Start with the highest part and then work your way down as the liquid dripping down will cause the ones below it to fall.
Let the cotton balls stay on the caulking for about 2 hours. Remove one and see if the mold is gone. If not, wait another hour.

If looks good, remove the cotton balls and dispose them in the trash.

You should now have beautiful caulking!
For more tips on using bleach and removing mold from caulking, head to my post (linked at the bottom) for all the details and to check out more of my cleaning tutorials.

And if you like smart tips like this, be sure to check out my ebook Speed Clean the Deep Clean which has more than 50 cleaning tutorials and cleaning tips for all areas of your home.
Katelyn Fagan

• Deborah Moss

What is the ratio with bleach and water?

• Gabrielle Falk

Bleach does not kill mould - at all. It bleaches ie whitens, the grouting/caulking, but does not kill the mould. I know from experience. That's why the mould returns. There are other ways - vinegar is not terribly successful. Best to go to Dr. Google, and see what is in the offing. I tried cleaning the bathroom ceiling with bleach for small mould spots (the window is always open and we use the extractor fan), but the mould always returned. Had a painter come in and he applied some foul smelling undercoat on the ceiling, and then used a mould retardant paint. He said to me, even tho' I already knew, that bleach does not work. Just colours. Best to get rid of the caulking - I know a yuk job to re-do, remove all the residue, and give the bath/tiled wall a good scrub. What I've done in the past is used my hair dryer to dry wet spots like the bath surround, as mould does not like heat. In re-caulking make sure that there are no little gaps. Is the grouting on the tiles keeping the water out? Good luck.

• Wanda Rodgers

I have looked up several sources. They all say bleach mixed with water is the solution to get rid of black mold.

• Julia Aguirre

How to redo marble or even change the look to something more modern or antique

• Judith

I'm going to try it. I h.ave to scrape caulking every 4 months and I had a ceiling fan installed in the top of the shower

• Khicks4330
    32 minutes ago

Tea Tree oil and Vinegar kills mold on grout and caulk. It goes beneath and sanitizes the grout.