Katelyn Fagan
Katelyn Fagan
  • San Marcos, TX

How to Get Rid of Black Mold in Your Shower Caulking

$1

If you don't want to take the time and the expense to remove and replace your shower or bathtub caulking that is currently moldy, then this is a great way to remove the mold and mold stains that is very affordable and easy! Plus, it works amazing!
how to get rid of black mold in your shower caulking
So, if you have a bathtub with caulk that looks like this, follow along!
You'll need cotton balls, gloves, water, and bleach. Eye protection and a ventilation mask also recommended.
Mix water and bleach together in a small dish, using only a little bleach. Open the window, turn on the fan, and wear gloves!

Dip a cotton ball into the bleach water and then apply the wet cotton ball directly to the caulking around your tub.
If you have moldy spots in the vertical caulking of your tub, stretch out the cotton balls a bit first before dipping them in the bleach water. Start with the highest part and then work your way down as the liquid dripping down will cause the ones below it to fall.
Let the cotton balls stay on the caulking for about 2 hours. Remove one and see if the mold is gone. If not, wait another hour.

If looks good, remove the cotton balls and dispose them in the trash.

You should now have beautiful caulking!
For more tips on using bleach and removing mold from caulking, head to my post (linked at the bottom) for all the details and to check out more of my cleaning tutorials.

And if you like smart tips like this, be sure to check out my ebook Speed Clean the Deep Clean which has more than 50 cleaning tutorials and cleaning tips for all areas of your home.
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of September 15, 2018 10:51 PM - More info
Katelyn Fagan

• Debbie Renock

Does this work on silicone caulk ? Thanks

• K

See my submitted response above.

• DinainOH

Doesn't the bleach (diluted or not) dry out the caulk so you wind up having to caulk it any way?

• Nancy Ponce

Yes, this will eat up your caulking. My friend cleaned her tile with it and had to redo it all.

• Cynthia Lindahl

Wouldn't it be easier to just use a spray bottle with bleach and water? It works great?

• Trisha

I don't know why you just can'use clorox gel toilet bowl cleaner it stays and forget the cotton balls.

• Marla Achler Andich

Forget the cotton balls. I make a thick paste with baking soda and bleach and put it on the stains. Leave it on for a couple of hours then get in the shower and rinse it off.

• Lynn Hixson
    44 minutes ago

If you could get the cotton strips that hairdressers use, it would be a little easier than the cotton balls. I like the baking soda and bleach paste idea, though.