How to Get Rid of Black Mold in Your Shower Caulking

$1

If you don't want to take the time and the expense to remove and replace your shower or bathtub caulking that is currently moldy, then this is a great way to remove the mold and mold stains that is very affordable and easy! Plus, it works amazing!
So, if you have a bathtub with caulk that looks like this, follow along!
You'll need cotton balls, gloves, water, and bleach. Eye protection and a ventilation mask also recommended.
Mix water and bleach together in a small dish, using only a little bleach. Open the window, turn on the fan, and wear gloves!

Dip a cotton ball into the bleach water and then apply the wet cotton ball directly to the caulking around your tub.
If you have moldy spots in the vertical caulking of your tub, stretch out the cotton balls a bit first before dipping them in the bleach water. Start with the highest part and then work your way down as the liquid dripping down will cause the ones below it to fall.
Let the cotton balls stay on the caulking for about 2 hours. Remove one and see if the mold is gone. If not, wait another hour.

If looks good, remove the cotton balls and dispose them in the trash.

You should now have beautiful caulking!
For more tips on using bleach and removing mold from caulking, head to my post (linked at the bottom) for all the details and to check out more of my cleaning tutorials.

And if you like smart tips like this, be sure to check out my ebook Speed Clean the Deep Clean which has more than 50 cleaning tutorials and cleaning tips for all areas of your home.

24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
Katelyn Fagan

• Arlene Blake Warner

Would this work on grout on a tile floor
    • Ashley Gary

I would imagine it'd be perfect on grout, but I'd test first in an inconspicuous spot first to make sure the bleach doesn't have any effect on your grout color since caulk is typically white or clear to begin with and grout is not.
    • Dana

for mould yes. Not for dirt in between. For that go to the flooring specialist, they have some products for that. Check your local hardware shops.
    • Dana Miller Ford

Worked great on the walls but not on the floor at all.
    • Karen Street

Here is my experience, bleach goes black in applied areas where light is not constant, ie: rooms with no windows or blocked by heavy curtains with no light. It looks worse than mold and removal of caulk becomes necessary to correct the black stain. Sunlight and light activate bleach to brighten, like cloth diapers on a clothesline.

• Pyesangel

I've used bleach on the grout in my bath and it did NOT work. What now???
  • Amanda

Can you not just us neat bleach with the cotton wool balls.
    • EPO17745097

I just pour bleach on any spots of mold I see and it clears them up . I get it at the bottom of
      the walk in shower
  • Pauliegirl1

Doesn't the mold come back? Eventually?? I would think you have to get to the 'core' of the mold??

• Jennifer

I wondered that, too. I was told by a disaster cleaning company, and have seen on shows that do restorations, (Mike Holmes for one)
      that bleach and other things just remove the color. They said it has to be removed, or it will come back. I'm thinking you are right about this. (but I am not a pro)
    • Alliecat

I think the cause of the mold is superficial--it's due to the moisture in the bathroom. Maybe cracking the window after a steamy shower would help... or just cleaning it every so often as they've done here
    • Elaine

Yes, mold will return as it loves moisture - the best bet is maintenance! By that, I mean never letting the mold develop to that extent; keeping on top of jobs in a house is a lot easier than letting them become more laborous. After every shower, I use a squeegee on the glass shower door (no streaks!!) and on the walls then I wipe everything down with the bath towel I just used on myself. This extra bit of effort has resulted in no mold, so far.
    • Gidget

After the bleach, and all is dry, wipe the surface with white vinegar. Vinegar doesn't remove mold, but it retards its regrowth. The vinegar smell goes away quickly. (old boat trick).
    • Katelyn Fagan

It will likely come back eventually. The best thing is to try and keep your shower as dry as possible in the meantime. But, I'm hoping this will keep my caulking white for at least a year. :)
    • Kim

Vinegar kills 87% of mold it is sprayed on. So if you were to spray it every day and kill 87% more each day it will be gone.
      1st day 87%
      2nd day 87% of the13% left from the day before.
      In my basement some mold started and I used the vinegar and it is all gone. I still spray when I think of it to keep it gone.
  • Linda Testerman

I am allergic to ble ach, what else can I use?
    • Jennifer

In the comments below people suggested peroxide or Greased Lightning. I have both, and will experiment.
    • Wyldecent

You could try hydrogen peroxide. Or new caulk.
    • Elaine

Hydrogen peroxide should work too.
    • Patti

H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide). 3% comes in a brown plastic bottle at the drug store, Target, Walmart, etc. where you would find Epsom salts, rubbing alcohol, et al.
    • Ann stewart

KaBoom is a great product for this and you don't have to use the cotton balls.
  • Lori Dumm

What a great idea ,does it also all work on painted walls ? Some of my walls in my kitchen has streaks from steaming it doesnt seem to get the scum off of them.
    • Elaine

No, don't use this idea on painted walls as the bleach will affect the paint color!
    • Elizabeth

This is tedious and doesn't take care of the whole problem. You still have moldy, discolored areas on the upper tiles. There are commercial sprays (yes you have to pay a little) that will remove that dangerous mold and mildew.
  • DeWayne Blank

I have had my tub and walls "refinished". Would this process be safe for them?
  • GBay Girl

Anyone know if this can be used (re bleach) if the mould is in a Bathfitters' tub? I don't know if bleach can be used in the acrylic. If it can safely be used, I'm going out to get some cottonballs and get this project started. Thanks.
    • Bonnie Doroski Gismondi

You can use bleach safely on acrylic tub surrounds.
    • Wir27811796

call Bathfitters and ASK THEM!
    • Dpbeee2

You an use bleach, just not abrasive cleasers like comet.
    • Dpbeee2

I accomplished this with 50/50 bleach and water in a spray bottle. I just do it quickly with a mask on and get out. I let the bleach odor dissipate before I go back and wipe it down. If you have asthma or respiratory problems, I would advise you not to do this.
    • GBay Girl

I have asthma so I really appreciate this insight. Re calling BathFitters - I have several times without any response.
    • Dpbeee2

I use bleach to combat mold. However, most cleaners on the market ! even cheap dollar store ones clean grease and dirt from my acrylic tub.
    • Dpbeee2

Sorry, I meant to use a comma not an exclamation point. This keyboard is a pain at times.
  • Stephanie Dougherty

Our bathroom has no Windows. How would you get rid of mold in corners and painted walls with our killing myself...
    , Mold collects in corners and above the shower cutoff wall
    • Wir27811796

get a huge fan and suck the air out of the bathroom.................
    • Suz27841008

Agree with fan, but face it into the bathroom, not out. When you do the cotton balls, do it quickly, and get out. If it is not done perfectly the first time, you can do it again, but you can wait until the bleach smell is aired out. I use a bleach, water, liquid dish soap in a spray bottle on my tub and tile grout. Sometimes a commercial type.

• Stephanie Dougherty

But mold is on the painted walls. So maybe bleach, soap, and water? How much of each? Thank you all
    • Jenne Gagnon

I live in Florida, I keep a cute spray bottle filled with half water and equal parts vinegar and baking soda. When I get out I spray. Make new batch once a week. In an emergency Windex works.
  • Patti

I wonder what the best type of caulk is?
    • Uph

Dow Corning I used this on my bathroom , 10yrs ago I don't have any mold/mildew
  • Pyesangel

I didn't think of using Borax...I've used bleach on the grout in my bath and it did NOT work. At the time I just wanted to get rid of all the 'black' in the grout. Could you use your mixture in a spray bottle???
    • Angie Burk

Bleach does not kill the mold spores, it only bleaches the color (black) away. There is a very good mold killer and stain remover called "x14" I get it at my local hardware store.
    • Sos12988015

I used Clorox FOAM spray on bay widow awning to remove black mold just sprayed and stayed
      that was 2 yrs ago. No mold has returned
      prior to that I used a special mold removing liquid which did nothing
    • Alicia Pousada

Bleach most certainly does kill mold. For more info, http://blacktoxicmolds.com/bleach-kill-mold.php
    • Cyn28973186

Bleach kills anything but white vineagar get rid of mold also mixed with a lttle water
    • Mina Scousin

Yes, but it comes with a catch. Bleach labels will warn you that chlorine bleach will only be effective on a “hard, non-porous surface.’’ This basically means that chlorine bleach is not made to “soak in.” Therefore, its disinfecting properties are limited to a hard surface like tile or glass. So here’s the problem: To ensure survival, mold spores spread its roots (Mycelia) deep into a porous surface. Mold remediation requires a cleaner to reach deep down into wood and other porous building materials to remove or "pull out" the roots. The properties of bleach prevent it from soaking into these materials. The surface mold looks gone (it's bleached white) but the internal mold always remains to grow back.

• Mcc21382458

how do you get rid of mold/mildew on a tiled ceiling?
    • Brenda Meyers

Tilex mold and mildew will do the same as your clorox and cotton balls and is much easier. Just spray on and return later and see that mold has disappeared!!!
    • Mcc21382458

problem is spraying product on the ceiling turns into tilex in your eyes and on your face...gravity doesn't keep it on.
    • Susan

put the bleach or tilex on a flat bottom mop, like swiffer, and apply to ceiling. With a little scrubbing, I think this would work. Like mopping upside down. Just don't use so much that it drips on you.
    • Rebecca

I used tilex spray with great results. Just be sure to not over spray, protect your floor and any other objects close by. I used a step stool placed off to one side. I could still reach the stain but get off of and out of the way quickly, wore gloves and eye protection and clothes that I didn't care about. I sprayed left the room and came back an hour later to check the stain. The stain took about three sprayings but was pretty bad (from a roof leak)and had been there a long time. Ceiling looks great!
    • Pat

Dow scrubbing bubbles has a foaming bleach cleaner that is great for spot mildew
    • Kyp Purifoy

I used a swiffer mop with a dry cloth sprayed with bleach to wipe down the walls and ceiling. However, the Tilex spray wouldn't smell as strong as the bleach. I ended up with too much bleach in my lungs, since I didn't wear a mask.
    • Marcia

For years I wiped down the shower walls and edge of the tub with a dry towel and I rarely got any mold. If I got any, mostly in a corner or under the tub spout, Tile did the trick or clorox clean-up. Both worked well.
    • Mary Ellen

Clorox bleach pen works great around tub, but costs more. squeeze a bead all around & leave it awhile. But this cotton ball idea is good! Thank!
  • Alp27782961

Bleach and Clorox are available already mixed and ready to go .Just spray on.
    • Susan Kimmer

Bleach and Clorox are the same thing. They make a product called Clorox cleanup. I just put bleach and water in a spray bottle. It is much cheaper.
  • Denise

Does this work for pink mildew, as well?
    • Deborah LaBate

Will someone please answer this, about pink colored on plastic trim around glass siding doors. We have hard water,but do have a softener.
    • Millie

I have never heard of pink mildew. Could it be your mildew has turned color because of buildup on it? You could take an old toothbrush and scrub it to see if it calmed off, but the bleach should do the work for you. Don't forget to ventilate, very important.
    • Janine Wereley Putzer

It should. Pink even easier to remove. I get it on my shower curtain liner occasionally and I sprayed on diluted bleach and it's gone.
      Also, it should be listed above, but I believe a 10% solution works fine.
    • Michelle

I had white wash cloths that would get pink mildew stains after 3 days of use. Washing would not remove the stains. I would put them in bleach water for a day. They got pristine white and the pink mildew stains did not return. I also use bleach to clean the mildew that starts in my shower. This works better than buying cleaning supplies in the store.

• Darlene

I was told pink mold is toxic. Much worse than black mold. A Science teacher told me this bit of info.
    • WENDY

I was told pink mildew was from our well water
    • Barb Gimbel

Just so no one panics over pink mold, which is very common. We have it here too on our shower liner. I toss it in the washer with bleach once a month with cleaning rags etc.

Everyone is aware of black mold that is very dangerous and toxic, causing harmful effects on the health of humans. ... ➺ Pink mold is actually a bacteria and not a fungi. This bacteria, scientifically called Serratia marcescens, is most commonly found in bathrooms.
    • Lynda Miller

Be careful with the bleach! Not recommended for grout on expensive tiles and it will definitely shorten the time between resealing the tile.

• RaNae

Are you sure the pink is actually mildew? I continually had pink colored deposits but they disappeared when I changed to iron remover softener salt.
    • VickiC

'Pink mold is actually not a fungus, pink colored mold is caused by a bacterium called “Serratia Marcescens.” This bacterium contains a type of mold, and it thrives in moist, wet environments.
      It is suspected that pink bathroom mold is not as dangerous as black mold.
      Also, this mold growth can be prevented by avoiding soap buildup on the shower walls and floors. It is suspected that pink mold actually feeds on soap residue, so allowing the residue to sit on walls and floor of the shower may promote additional growth.'

• Bernice H

I cleaned homes for years,I got all my people to use liquid soap. I got tired of scrubbing soap off. I used tilex for years until I broke out in hives, and eventually had to quit cleaning jobs due to fibromyalgia. Was it toxic overload? 🤔probably,in my case.
    • Suzan Livengood

I purchased a fabric shower curtain liner that I toss in the washer every couple of months and I never have any problems with mildew. I got it for about $14 at Target.
  • Sarge

You use bottled water for this? What's wrong with regular tap water?
    bottled water costs about $.75 for 12 ounces, tap water is about $2.50 per 1000 gallons delivered to your home.
    • Joy.audrey56

It doesn't say she used bottled water. That is merely depicted in the list of items used. I guess they couldn't find a picture of water coming from a tap.
    • Mercy V. Sabina

Add an answer...
      , as long as it doesn t say bottled water it is tap water
    • Kim

At the Wal-Mart in southern MN it is .88 a gallon. Our tap water is not good for drinking or cooking.
    • Alene

We get to enjoy all this information for free because of the advertising of products used. You can choose to use these or those of your own choosing. They are suggesting.. Great idea!
    • Dea29125645

The description says water. It doesn't say bottled or tap. Picture was for demo only.
    • UpState

Montana has undrinkable water ?
      Thought that all Western US water was all pure and clean ?
      What's that all about ?
    • Debbie Germano

N/A. This is about cleaning mold.... NOT about what H2O tastes good.
    • Myrna

She said MN - that is Minnesota.

MT is Montana. Our water is fine here. 🤗

• Lou

Is there an "after" picture. I only see the before.
    • Maureen greene

TThe last picture is clearly the after.

• Anessia Steward-Martin

you can also just mix half water half bleach in a spray bottle and just spray it down really good but make sure to wear a mask because it is strong but it work just as good tub is white as ever
    • Cheryl Glodowski

Sorry, but I still see mold in the last picture. I think a spray bottle with bleach water would be more effective. I'm going to also try the hydrogen peroxide. Do you use it full strength?
    • Bambi

@Cheryl Glodowski. Yes there is still some mold showing in the last picture as the bleach did not remove all of it. But if you look at the first picture and the last picture there is definitely a difference.
  • Debbie Renock

Does this work on silicone caulk ? Thanks
    • K

See my submitted response above.
  • DinainOH

Doesn't the bleach (diluted or not) dry out the caulk so you wind up having to caulk it any way?
  • Cynthia Lindahl

Wouldn't it be easier to just use a spray bottle with bleach and water? It works great?
    • Trisha

I don't know why you just can'use clorox gel toilet bowl cleaner it stays and forget the cotton balls.

• JJM82763

That is what I do any time and every time we shower

• Mary Dodge

Over time, strong chlorine can damage the surface of shower walls and tubs, so i wouldnt spray it on. Manufacturers recommend solutions of Dawn, white vinegar, and water for spray cleaning. Using the cotton balls with bleach and controlling drips sounds like a good way to attack the caulk mold. I'm going to try it!

• Diane

i have this mold in around my shower Bottom but it’s marble, will this hurt it or do anything to hurt it???

• Ellen Keyes

Have you used the idea of a paste of baking soda and bleach? The baking soda is just a conveyor for the bleach so the cotton balls may stick well to the caulk and you can paint the paste on the vertical areas. It worked really well and lasted several weeks. I have noticed that those sprays you buy in stores don't even last two days.

• Ulysses

I got mold on the tap of the shower is growing on top of the ceiling it's painted what to do ? With out dameging the sheet rock on the ceiling

• Carolina

Why not use bleach only? why mix with water?

• Karl L

Way too strong using straight bleach. You could burn skin and nostrils.

A little bleach in water is more than effective even if only 5 drops in a gallon!

So just give a splash of bleach in your mix.

• Ya-Man

What's the ratio of water to bleach?

• Cynthia Arum

My bathroom doesn't have a window, and doesn't have a fan, too. So what would I need???

• Dale

I would set a fan up in the doorway leading into the next room. Have a window open for ventilation.

• Beth

Well, Cynthia, no wonder you have mold! I don't know how your home passed inspection without either an exhaust fan or window, but you can purchase a combination overhead light and exhaust fan at any home supply store for $100 or less.

• Viv31725861

Is there an alternative to bleach? I have birds and the bleach fumes will kill them.

• Beth

Viv, I don't know of anything that will kill mold other than bleach. However, the hint here was to use it if you wanted to avoid taking out the old, moldy caulking, so your alternative is to go ahead and do that and re-caulk. Otherwise, remove the birds from the house while you use the bleach and for the day after. Get a good exhaust fan, and run it when you bathe and for a while after, and you shouldn't have mold build-up.

• Patricia Pittman

I found a recipe on Hometalk recently for mold using baking soda , vinegar and lemon juice in a spray bottle. Also another where the person bought a package of cotton "rope" from a beauty ship supplier that beauticians use when giving a customer a perm.

• Tammy

I use hydrogen peroxide,non toxic, antifungal, and kills mold spores.Spray area leave for at least 10 minutes

• Beth

Isn't cotton coil, like they use at the hair salon, non-absorbent? I mean, the whole point of it there is to keep the solution from getting on your skin, so if you use it here in the bathroom, does it really soak up the bleach solution?

• Patricia Pittman

You soak the rope in bleach and then lay it on the grout around the tub. I don't recall how long you leave it whether it's a couple of hours or overnight. If anyone else saved that hint maybe they can reply.

• Elise

Doesn’t eat away the grout?

• Pixybrat

Many bathroom cleaning products contain bleach, so i wouldn't think that the bleach would hurt the grout.

• Fid28162091

Will this work on stains on stucco?

• Donna

What about how to get black mould off wallpaper in the bathroom

• Anna

Why not just cut it all out, use the bleach to clean up residue and recaulk around the tub after it’s thoroughly dry?

• Kathy

If it's your only bathroom/tub/shower, the recommended dry/wait time after cleaning and recaulking, and before using is 2-3 days. You have to initiate the cleaning, wait 24 to 48 for that to dry befire caulking. Then wait another 24+ hours for caulk to cure properly. Can you go that long without a shower?

• Anna

Good point, I have two bathrooms, so it would work for me, not necessarily for everyone.

• Kathy

I am a terrible caulker - it always looks bad. And - tearing up the caulk sounds easy, but it is very labor intensive.

• Deborah Moss

What is the ratio with bleach and water?

• Wanda Rodgers

What I have found is to use one cup of bleach to a gallon of water.

• Gabrielle Falk

Bleach does not kill mould - at all. It bleaches ie whitens, the grouting/caulking, but does not kill the mould. I know from experience. That's why the mould returns. There are other ways - vinegar is not terribly successful. Best to go to Dr. Google, and see what is in the offing. I tried cleaning the bathroom ceiling with bleach for small mould spots (the window is always open and we use the extractor fan), but the mould always returned. Had a painter come in and he applied some foul smelling undercoat on the ceiling, and then used a mould retardant paint. He said to me, even tho' I already knew, that bleach does not work. Just colours. Best to get rid of the caulking - I know a yuk job to re-do, remove all the residue, and give the bath/tiled wall a good scrub. What I've done in the past is used my hair dryer to dry wet spots like the bath surround, as mould does not like heat. In re-caulking make sure that there are no little gaps. Is the grouting on the tiles keeping the water out? Good luck.

• Michael Conner

Bleach kills mold and is very effective if used on hard non porous surface. In this case it would not. Bleach does kill mold but not on everything.

• Karen Daniels

I did this exact method 2 1/2 years ago after moving into our new home. It’s never come back. If mold is coming back it is due to poor ventilation most likely. Always use an exhaust fan and leave the shower curtain or shower doors open a smidge on both sides to allow good ventilation. Hope this helps :D

• Wanda Rodgers

I have looked up several sources. They all say bleach mixed with water is the solution to get rid of black mold.

• Melanie Shearman

When my parents had their Bictorian house repainted after 40 years, the house painter started with a power wash of bleach water to remove the mold in the wood before he started painting.

• Ann

After you go to all this trouble. Get you some tea tree oil from the drug store and Qtips and spread over all you cleaned. It will kill the mold and it will not cone back. I do mine once a month with two of us showering everyday.

You can get tea tree oil at the drugstore. Good luck.

• Kathy

I use H202(Hydrogen peroxide) borax; vinegar; baking soda when killing mold wait 15 mins b4 scrubbing/cleaning the spores will give off toxinx while being killed once dead scrub clean safely

• Gabrielle Falk

Thank you for replying. How much do you use of each product? Do you use hydrogen peroxide, borax, white vinegar and baking soda? All together. thanks for your help.

• Joy

I am a cosmetologist and you can purchase cotton in one long strand at any beauty supply store. Some stores may sell only to licensed cosmetologist so just check first. You can even ask at any beauty salon if they would sell you some. Then all you need to do is tear off at your desired length. That would be so much easier to use than all those cotton balls. It's not expensive and quite absorbent

• Elizabeth Sapirman Chilko

Hydrogen Peroxide is very good for removing mold. I used it on the painted walls in my bathroom

• Dgl7751065

Sally Beauty carries it. Open to all to buy!

• Kate

Tei Tree Oil has it's benefits.

• Jogmom

The cotton Ribbon can be purchased off Amazon. That's what I use. It's a lot easier than the cotton balls.

• Christie

I use a Dawn dish detergent (plain or oxi kind), borax, vinegar, and water cleaner recipe. No scrubbing, kills mold, and definitely doesn’t come back!! I only use it every few months!! In between I use recipe I make with vinegar, water, and essential oils (lemon, orange, whatever I’m in the mood for making). I make the kids and my husband spray the shower and tub lightly after each use with it also!! :) I’m allergic to bleach so I have to be careful using it and inhaling it. Plus, I hate getting it on my clothes from splashes. ;)

• Julia Aguirre

How to redo marble or even change the look to something more modern or antique

• Denia

will this work the same on sheep rock?

• Kara Saurenman

Do you mean SHEET ROCK? It's the cardboard covered white gypsum used on walls....sometimes called "wakeboard". If so, the answer is NO. Sheet rock should be painted & never put water on it. It will mold, mildew & fall apart. Never heard of "sheep rock".

• Barb Valley

Do you mean sheet rock? (Drywall)

• Suz

😂

• Terri Lynn

Well it's sheetrock an no it won't work on sheetrock. It's best to use green board in the bath areas. (A type of drywall of sorts designed to help fight mold) also "kiltz" is a chemical that you paint on your walls/ceiling area prior to painting.

• Kathy1220

You mean SHEET rock. And no as sheet rock will just get saturated and break down.

• Deb Crockett

I would like to share with you my experience with cleaning up mold. Bleach will take away the color but not kill it. Instead mix white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide in equal amounts and they will kill the nasty stuff. I love the idea of the cotton balls though.

I learned this when my daughter lives in a mold infested apartment. Bleach can actually encourage the mold to come back and grow worse.

• Ghp26067822

What is Sheep Rock ?

• Sandy

Why didn't the people who owned the apartment take care of the mold, report them to the health people. Very unhealthy.

• C

SHEEP rock? :)

• Lynn

Sheep??? You mean sheetrock?

• Seagee

Denia. Please ignore all the holier-than-thou ladies who never learned better manors.

• Lynne Johnson

You sure don't want to get sheet rock wet.

• Janice

When I had flooding, the company sprayed the affected damp sheet rock with a strong mixture of bleach and water to get rid of the mold and possibility of mold growing. I would not use the cotton ball method on sheet rock as that would soak the sheet rock and perhaps make it disintegrate. Spray it well and then let dry or place a fan nearby to circulate the air dry the mixture that has been applied as quickly as possible.

• Randi

What about the wall grout?

• Gail

why can't you just spray it with bleach solution....respray to keep it damp rather than using cotton balls?

• Terrie Dasher

just spraying with bleach and water has always been my go to for this project.

• Phyl

scrubbing bubbles with bleach works great and you don't need cotton balls.

• Sandy

I was going to say the same thing this way you wouldn't have to waste all those cotton balls. Just keep a small bottle just for bleach and water beside your tub and spray away 2-3 time a week leave the window open and don't use too much bleach. I have a bath fitter and everything is lifetime except the caulk, of course. Every couple of days I spray the caulk and when I need to I will replace the caulk in which they do not cover any way.

• Lynn

I do the same...works great! Good on lower part of shower curtain.....also spraying with lysol aerosol keeps mold away longer

• Kathy Shelton

That is what I do. I have a spray bottle of bleech/water and I just spray all the tiles and around the tub. Works fine - I start spraying up high and work my way down. Cotton balls to time consuming for me.

• Irene Gronewald

ye,spray it on,what I would do,plus I take hot water and fill bottom of shower 3/4 or more ,up add some bleach...let sit 15 minutes, comes clean

• Melissa Espejo

I tried just spraying the bleach and found the cotton balls soaked into the mold overnight worked 💯. My shower was spotless!

• Njlou

I use the thickened Clorox. They call it dripless. put some in a small cup and apply with an old toothbrush, but leave it thick. Let sit about 1hour+.....job done!

• Sherilyn Lawson

yep, i use the clorox bleach spray, or the thickened stuff and let it sit...works great

• Cathy Shay

Is this too harsh for fiberglass. Will it discolor the fiberglass tub.

• Carol Perkins

Can this be done when your shower has marble instead of tile????

• Maxine Waller

Yes, but just spray it for an easier fix.

• Brooklyn

No ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! You can Not use bleach on marble. I had a client who used a bleach product on her marble shower and completely ruined it. There was nothing I could do for her. You can try baking soda and peroxide with a toothbrush...but rinse as you go. Do not let anything sit on marble.

• Kay Arnette

Is one bleach better than another like Clorox and a non name brand or is bleach just bleac

• SpudBread

HA-- bleach is bleach!

• Rose

do you have a name of a product? Thx

• RC Leach

I think bleach is bleach I have never noticed any difference in store brands and higher priced bleach. Check the ingredients against each other in the store, and since it only takes a little bit, just buy a small container of the one you want. Clorox is the only one I can remember the name of. It may or may not be the best.

• Michelle

Kaboom works just as good, I use the spray foam!

• Kelli L. Milligan

Tilex

• Katen

Does this remove the mold or just whiten the mold

• T-Robert

Can you do this to wood moulding? Bought the solution that supposedly cleans mold from wood, but it did not work.

• Debbie

I would think it would bleach your wood molding and ruin it

• Eileen

There are sprays specifically formulated for mold/mildew removal from wood.

• Suzanne

Sherwin Williams carries a wood bleach.

• Barbara

What is ratio of water to bleach?

• Liz

Looks like no water just the bleach

• Jan

The article says use only a little bleach in the water but nothing specific. I think I would start with 3-4 cups water and no more than 1/4 c bleach. Ventilate well.

• Barbara

Do you know of any non bleach products?

• Joy Coombs

Ebsom Salt poured around, then spray add water, wait 2 hours at least, then rinse. This will kill germs, whiten and brighten your grout safely!

• Fpr10650309

Peroxide

• Evelyn

Vinegar, neem oil, garlic clove ...

• Robyn Garner

Vinegar will kill the mold but may not bleach out the residue. Once the mold is killed you can scrub with a tub/tile cleaner.

• Julie Sarver Dripps

Tea tree oil works the best on mold for long term results

• 3cookies

Hydrogen peroxide works great too

• Peter

Bleach only bleaches, first apply hydrogen peroxide, this will kill the mold spores. Then apply the bleach.

• Alica

Bleach kills mold spores on non-porous surfaces. Caulk is non-porous.

• Iris

Hi! How long does the mold stay away from coming back?

• Sheryl

Why not try long rope cotton and won't the mold reappear?

• Isabella

How do u remove dirt stain from the tub. We try everything

• Kathy

I have found that nothing cleans grout except pure clorox, But I always wonder if I am rally getting rid of the Mildew... or just bleaching it white??

• Melissa

Best thing ever is baking soda and vinegar... Put baking soda on it spritz it with vinegar... Then lightly scrub works ah-mazing!

• Amber

Baking soda, dawn and vinegar, then give it a really good rinse (because over time vinegar can corrode if not rinsed off well!) Best mix and not only are you just bleaching it white, but it also corrodes it over time to where you will have to replace the caulking anyways.

• Bleach does not kill the mold spores or mold roots it only discolors it and makes it somewhat white again making people think it’s gone. But it’s a matter of time before it grows again. Use a product named “Concrobium Mold Control”. I get it at The Home Depot in a spray bottle. It’s about $9-10 for a 32 oz spray bottle. I hope that helps you

• Teena

Buy X-14 - it’s Clorox and baking soda - spray on after 10 minutes or so rinse. Just like new. I have to buy it from a hardware store. Easy no mess and your done. Use gloves, mask and vent.

• Deborah Paulding

What measurements do you use to do a whole bathroom

• Carolyn

Bleach actually feeds mold spores. It only cleans the surface, not deep down, so the mold returns.

Vinegar or hydrogen peroxide are more efficient and non-toxic! Google both to learn!

• Niheala Reeves

Does anyone know how to get rid of the pink stuff?

• Karen Karlen

From microbiology days, pink = staph aureus. Lysol, bleach or vinegar and soap. Have also used hydrogen peroxide (H2O2)in the bathroom as it does wonderful things like helping a slow drain run faster. When it bubbles,that is a sign that is is working plus it breaks down into water (H2O) as its extra hydrogen molecules (H) glom onto the gunk.

• Karla Moore

Does the bleach “eat away “ the sealant?

• Kristen

Can it be used on colored caulk?

• Dolores Masker

Is mold killed or bleached according to previous knowledge from Servpro.

• Cindy

My kids tell me that black mold is still there but just bleached. It doesn’t get rid of it. I’m glad I live in a part of Arizona where we don’t have much black mold.

• Alice

The Clorox will bleach the mold, but will it actually get rid of it permanently?

• Mary

I used bleach water and a rag on a corner in my shower and left it overnight, in the morning the mold was gone. I did that 4 years ago and it still looks pretty darn good. However, I didn't know how to get a wash rag to stay on the wall overnight so I am looking forward to using the cotton balls

• Alex

What better ? Clorox or any cheep bleach????

• Connie Thomas

I have a little bit of mild starting on my popcorn ceiling. How do I get rid of that without messing up my ceiling?

• Rachel Bivens-Rees

I had that happen. We used Kills. Then painted it with white paint ( flat not gloss) never came back. I painted kills over more of area that had mold so it wouldn’t grow.

• Suzy

Put water in a spray bottle and add a little bleach. Spray it on the mold and let dry. Also works for water stains on the ceiling. I would also check your roof. There’s water getting in somewhere. Hope this helps 🙂

• Regina Dignowity

You can use bleach but it will come back! Light spray.

• Jackie Brown

They say bleach doesn’t actually kill mold. I read up on what actually kills mold and chose a more natural combo of white vinegar, peroxide and Thieves cleaner. This was very affective in killing the black mold and keeping it away, while not using anything harsh, because there is a baby in our home. Like the person above said, “kills” does also work if you want a harsher chemical to kill it.

• Cynthia

Any suggestions on how to make my teenage son's room stop smelling like a boys locker room?

• Tammie

Putting some baking soda in his shoes is a big help with smell. If it's real bad I'd recommend a small air purifier.

• Yemaya

YES! Been there with hubby lol. Dip a slice of bread in white vinegar then place it on a flat plate. I did this with 4 slices f bread and placed them in different areas of room. I was i little worried the room would smell like vinegar but it didnt. The bad odor is absorbed into bread by vinegar. Also, place softner dryer sheets inside of hamper. Also lol, the shoes he wears that day, put some alcohol in a small spray bottle, spray the inside of those shoes (you dont have to saturate) just 3-4 sprays and this is the most important part... LEAVE THEM OUTSIDE OVER NIGHT.

• LaNita

Lol...open his windows to air out. Remove any and all dirty clothes and smelly shoes(wash them or spray with really good order eaters). Then spray any and all soft surfaces down with Fabreeze!! Sprinkle the carpet with a gud brand of carpet powder. Then get sum gud smelling plug-ins😊. Boys will be boys and smell like them too sadly😩. Also get him a dirty cloths basket with a lid and no holes to help contain the order. And after all that, and it don't help...just throw the whole room away including the boy😂😂😂 jk

• Melissa

Send him off to college! 😂😂😂

i bought hand sanitizer spray and spray everything...especially in his shoes, and on his socks as soon as they come out of the dryer.

• Janie Evanson Henderson

Have kid do his laundry! ;-)

I’ve raised 5 boys. They stink. Their rooms stink. Their sports pads stink.

Heres’s what I required:

1) all dirty clothes go into hamper ASAP. Hamper has lid. Close lid.

2) make bed daily

3) wash bedding weekly

do hamper laundry every time hamper is full

4) no food leavings (pizza crust ends, etc) nor dirty dishes left in room ever.

5) shower before going to bed

6) shower after sports practice or game

7) ALL sports gear is washed ASAP

8) sports pads get wiped down with vinegar based cleaner weekly.

This reduced stinkage. It also kept the sports equipment in healthy shape & could be passed on to the next kid. Plus, it kept the value of my home from dropping they the basement. 🤪

• Ricardo

Fabreeze is all you need!

• Tinaa

One big thing is to use liquid Lysol to sanitize laundry at least once a week, and toss his shoes with a load of towels in on the gentle cycle with the liquid Lysol. (Washing towels every other time or two will help your linens or bathroom to be fresher too. (Use a weak liquid Lysol solution in place of commercial rug cleaning solution in your rug shampooer if you clean the mattress- do while he's staying over at a friend's, & have him crash on the couch for another night or two, to allow for drying time)

I've seen that there is actual Lysol Laundry Sanitizer on Amazon, but I choose to pick up my preferred scent when I hit a Wal-Mart. :)

• Stacy

Remove the teenager!! Sorry this really is a joke i have teenage boys myself.

• Ann Couture Stray

Brown lunch bag filled charcoal briquets. Even removes cat litter box smell!

• Peggy

I would put dryer sheets in my boys shoes

• T

Young Living diffuser and Purification essential oil. It's the absolute bomb for removing odors! I'm a member/distributor (member #3944374) Feel free to hit me up if you have any interest, or questions, or you can go directly to their website www.youngliving.com and use my member number to order at retail or sign up for your own wholesale account. I'm happy to answer any questions for you or anyone who may have interest. Bottom line, you want to use products that are toxin free and are not endocrine disruptors. After educating myself about this essential oils, chemicals and cleaning products, I don't use anything but YL anymore for this reason.

• Sandra Frosch

I haven’t seen one answer that makes sense. Make your teenage boys clean their rooms. If they don’t take away Privileges. Like TV, computer time, car privileges if any of them drive. etc.

If they don’t do it, follow through with what you told them and when they complain tell them you are the parent, it’s your house, you pay the bills and if they don’t like it charge enough rent to pay for a housekeeper.

Additional advise, when they ask you to do something for them, and they aren’t respecting you, tell them no when they ask you for a ride or privledge. Say: You don’t feel like it because, they don’t do what you ask them to do.

It’s called tough love!!!!

Never let your kids use you. Make them meet your expectations as long as you are reasonable.

• Carolyn

How do u get a butter stain out if a cotton shirt

• Jacquelyn

Use Dawn dish soap right on the stain and scrub the stain between your hands! Throw in washer and it should be gone! If it's a big stain you might need to do it again!!!

• Kelly

I use over cleaner!!!! Easy off or the cheap brands. It’s been a clothes saver it even worked on vehicle black grease! Doesn’t ruin your clothes!

• Sharon

For most grease stains I sprinkle talcum powder on the stain and rub it in with my fingers. Let it stay on for 10 minutes or more, then brush off powder and wash. Any powder will work, anlso baking soda.

• Art

Cant wait.. Ill give it a shot!

• Art

Sharons recommendations!

• Jan

Dawn dish soap

• Latika

Hair Shampoo or dawn

• Kiki Beezley Mulvihill

Dawn dishsoap

• Sandra Frosch

Spray with shout and let set for 4 hours before washing. You will need to treat more than once, so don’t set the stain in by drying. Let the garment air dry and throw it in with the next batch of like colors after retreating.

Additionally, don’t let liquid shout air dry. It is capable of taking some color out of died fabrics. Only the stick is formulated to stay on fabric for several days without any problem.

• Dawnise

Soak it in dawn dish soap before you wash it if it’s dried in it might not work

• Polly

Spray it with a grease cleaner like 409, or FANTASTIC. Any kind of grease cleaner should work. Let it set a couple of hours, then wash as normal.

• G Almaraz

Dawn dish soap

• Caryl

Order some lestoil online. You can't get it in the stores anymore. It will even take out oily stain that has been through the dryer. Just apply directly to the stain and was as usual.

• Robin

Dawn dish soap works very well on all grease stains. Also regular coke.

• Thanks or making the info so clear.

• Connie

Could u just use a spray bottle with bleach and water? I think it would work too then come back 10 mins later and rinse.

• Melissa

That’s how I always did it

• Nancy

I think there will be streak marks where the bleach drips down the shower lining. I also think the killing of the mold will be less effective.

• Tinaa

They make bleach gel that would be even handier, and it would stick better, use a stop to spread it to cover the problem areas.

• Art

You want to get deep in the cracks..gonna take a little labor.

• Diane

Thats the way I did it. I would spray water and bleach every other week or so and rinse. Never had a black mold problem or dirty caulking. It cleans all the germs.

• Anita

The spray bottle does work even on the shower head!

• Wanda

How much bleach to water?

• Toni Pearson

spraying always works for me..dollar general sells bleachmixed w/water for $1 a bottle or make your own

• Dawnise

Bleach works all ways but at what cost ?? We have to protect our lungs !!

• Josie Crispino Arthur

I have mold that started on my attic roof I haven’t found the leak yet on the roof and it’s not bad but a couple things had a little bit a water on them but it made the whole one side of the attic moldy would this work for that on the wood ?

• Lisa Witt-Widner

make a combination of tsp and bleach, and soak everything like crazy. Hydrogen peroxide has also been known to be highly effective

• Lisa Ann Browning

Just make sure you have a mask, eye protection and gloves to neutralize the mold. Don’t scrape it, scraping dried mold or moldy areas will cause it to go airborne. Then treat it with the neutralizer of the bleach and water mixture.

• Liz

I would spray with a mixture of Thyme oil and water, or else spray with Benefect, a cleanser with Thyme oil in it. You should be careful using bleach, use a face mask for sure either way, as mold spores can be airborne and inhaling those buggers are seriously bad for your health.

• Cat Goggin

Spraying anything on them puts them into the air. I’d call a mold remediation company for a free estimate. Mold can grow on your shingles and spores spread down into the attic. It can be from condensation in the insulation. A small drip on a pipe. A chewed hole from a rodent ...... get a feee professional estimate or a couple free ones then choose your plan of attack. Educate yourself! This could even be an insurance claim.

• Kasia

What do you use to clean granite walls in shower stall?

• Christine Mead

Can't we also put the mixture in a spray bottle & spray it on & let it sit a few seconds or so, then rinse. Repeat as necessary.?

• Brenda

I use the extra strength, thick Clorox, put it into a dish soap bottle and squirt my shower, toilet bowl, kitchen sink, you name it! Sticks on better than mixed with water.

• Madeline Crist

The cotton balls keep it contained in the mold area. Spraying the liquid is not going to stay exactly where you what it to do its job.

• KATHY CHINIGO