Katelyn Fagan
Katelyn Fagan
  • Kyle, TX

How to Get Rid of Black Mold in Your Shower Caulking

$1

If you don't want to take the time and the expense to remove and replace your shower or bathtub caulking that is currently moldy, then this is a great way to remove the mold and mold stains that is very affordable and easy! Plus, it works amazing!
how to get rid of black mold in your shower caulking
So, if you have a bathtub with caulk that looks like this, follow along!
You'll need cotton balls, gloves, water, and bleach. Eye protection and a ventilation mask also recommended.
Mix water and bleach together in a small dish, using only a little bleach. Open the window, turn on the fan, and wear gloves!

Dip a cotton ball into the bleach water and then apply the wet cotton ball directly to the caulking around your tub.
If you have moldy spots in the vertical caulking of your tub, stretch out the cotton balls a bit first before dipping them in the bleach water. Start with the highest part and then work your way down as the liquid dripping down will cause the ones below it to fall.
Let the cotton balls stay on the caulking for about 2 hours. Remove one and see if the mold is gone. If not, wait another hour.

If looks good, remove the cotton balls and dispose them in the trash.

You should now have beautiful caulking!
For more tips on using bleach and removing mold from caulking, head to my post (linked at the bottom) for all the details and to check out more of my cleaning tutorials.

And if you like smart tips like this, be sure to check out my ebook Speed Clean the Deep Clean which has more than 50 cleaning tutorials and cleaning tips for all areas of your home.
Katelyn Fagan

• Arlene Blake Warner

Would this work on grout on a tile floor
    • Ashley Gary

I would imagine it'd be perfect on grout, but I'd test first in an inconspicuous spot first to make sure the bleach doesn't have any effect on your grout color since caulk is typically white or clear to begin with and grout is not.
    • Dana

for mould yes. Not for dirt in between. For that go to the flooring specialist, they have some products for that. Check your local hardware shops.
    • Dana Miller Ford

Worked great on the walls but not on the floor at all.
    • Karen Street

Here is my experience, bleach goes black in applied areas where light is not constant, ie: rooms with no windows or blocked by heavy curtains with no light. It looks worse than mold and removal of caulk becomes necessary to correct the black stain. Sunlight and light activate bleach to brighten, like cloth diapers on a clothesline.

• Pyesangel

I've used bleach on the grout in my bath and it did NOT work. What now???
  • Amanda

Can you not just us neat bleach with the cotton wool balls.
    • EPO17745097

I just pour bleach on any spots of mold I see and it clears them up . I get it at the bottom of
      the walk in shower
  • Pauliegirl1

Doesn't the mold come back? Eventually?? I would think you have to get to the 'core' of the mold??

• Jennifer

I wondered that, too. I was told by a disaster cleaning company, and have seen on shows that do restorations, (Mike Holmes for one)
      that bleach and other things just remove the color. They said it has to be removed, or it will come back. I'm thinking you are right about this. (but I am not a pro)
    • Alliecat

I think the cause of the mold is superficial--it's due to the moisture in the bathroom. Maybe cracking the window after a steamy shower would help... or just cleaning it every so often as they've done here
    • Elaine

Yes, mold will return as it loves moisture - the best bet is maintenance! By that, I mean never letting the mold develop to that extent; keeping on top of jobs in a house is a lot easier than letting them become more laborous. After every shower, I use a squeegee on the glass shower door (no streaks!!) and on the walls then I wipe everything down with the bath towel I just used on myself. This extra bit of effort has resulted in no mold, so far.
    • Gidget

After the bleach, and all is dry, wipe the surface with white vinegar. Vinegar doesn't remove mold, but it retards its regrowth. The vinegar smell goes away quickly. (old boat trick).
    • Katelyn Fagan

It will likely come back eventually. The best thing is to try and keep your shower as dry as possible in the meantime. But, I'm hoping this will keep my caulking white for at least a year. :)
    • Kim

Vinegar kills 87% of mold it is sprayed on. So if you were to spray it every day and kill 87% more each day it will be gone.
      1st day 87%
      2nd day 87% of the13% left from the day before.
      In my basement some mold started and I used the vinegar and it is all gone. I still spray when I think of it to keep it gone.
  • Linda Testerman

I am allergic to ble ach, what else can I use?
    • Jennifer

In the comments below people suggested peroxide or Greased Lightning. I have both, and will experiment.
    • Wyldecent

You could try hydrogen peroxide. Or new caulk.
    • Elaine

Hydrogen peroxide should work too.
    • Patti

H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide). 3% comes in a brown plastic bottle at the drug store, Target, Walmart, etc. where you would find Epsom salts, rubbing alcohol, et al.
    • Ann stewart

KaBoom is a great product for this and you don't have to use the cotton balls.
  • Lori Dumm

What a great idea ,does it also all work on painted walls ? Some of my walls in my kitchen has streaks from steaming it doesnt seem to get the scum off of them.
    • Elaine

No, don't use this idea on painted walls as the bleach will affect the paint color!
    • Elizabeth

This is tedious and doesn't take care of the whole problem. You still have moldy, discolored areas on the upper tiles. There are commercial sprays (yes you have to pay a little) that will remove that dangerous mold and mildew.
  • DeWayne Blank

I have had my tub and walls "refinished". Would this process be safe for them?
  • End17459602

Anyone know if this can be used (re bleach) if the mould is in a Bathfitters' tub? I don't know if bleach can be used in the acrylic. If it can safely be used, I'm going out to get some cottonballs and get this project started. Thanks.
    • Bonnie Doroski Gismondi

You can use bleach safely on acrylic tub surrounds.
    • Wir27811796

call Bathfitters and ASK THEM!
    • Dpbeee2

You an use bleach, just not abrasive cleasers like comet.
    • Dpbeee2

I accomplished this with 50/50 bleach and water in a spray bottle. I just do it quickly with a mask on and get out. I let the bleach odor dissipate before I go back and wipe it down. If you have asthma or respiratory problems, I would advise you not to do this.
    • End17459602

I have asthma so I really appreciate this insight. Re calling BathFitters - I have several times without any response.
    • Dpbeee2

I use bleach to combat mold. However, most cleaners on the market ! even cheap dollar store ones clean grease and dirt from my acrylic tub.
    • Dpbeee2

Sorry, I meant to use a comma not an exclamation point. This keyboard is a pain at times.
  • Stephanie Dougherty

Our bathroom has no Windows. How would you get rid of mold in corners and painted walls with our killing myself...
    , Mold collects in corners and above the shower cutoff wall
    • Wir27811796

get a huge fan and suck the air out of the bathroom.................
    • Suz27841008

Agree with fan, but face it into the bathroom, not out. When you do the cotton balls, do it quickly, and get out. If it is not done perfectly the first time, you can do it again, but you can wait until the bleach smell is aired out. I use a bleach, water, liquid dish soap in a spray bottle on my tub and tile grout. Sometimes a commercial type.

• Stephanie Dougherty

But mold is on the painted walls. So maybe bleach, soap, and water? How much of each? Thank you all
    • Jenne Gagnon

I live in Florida, I keep a cute spray bottle filled with half water and equal parts vinegar and baking soda. When I get out I spray. Make new batch once a week. In an emergency Windex works.
  • Ply578834

I wonder what the best type of caulk is?
    • Uph

Dow Corning I used this on my bathroom , 10yrs ago I don't have any mold/mildew
  • Pyesangel

I didn't think of using Borax...I've used bleach on the grout in my bath and it did NOT work. At the time I just wanted to get rid of all the 'black' in the grout. Could you use your mixture in a spray bottle???
    • Angie Burk

Bleach does not kill the mold spores, it only bleaches the color (black) away. There is a very good mold killer and stain remover called "x14" I get it at my local hardware store.
    • Sos12988015

I used Clorox FOAM spray on bay widow awning to remove black mold just sprayed and stayed
      that was 2 yrs ago. No mold has returned
      prior to that I used a special mold removing liquid which did nothing
    • Alicia Pousada

Bleach most certainly does kill mold. For more info, http://blacktoxicmolds.com/bleach-kill-mold.php
    • Cyn28973186

Bleach kills anything but white vineagar get rid of mold also mixed with a lttle water
    • Mina Scousin

Yes, but it comes with a catch. Bleach labels will warn you that chlorine bleach will only be effective on a “hard, non-porous surface.’’ This basically means that chlorine bleach is not made to “soak in.” Therefore, its disinfecting properties are limited to a hard surface like tile or glass. So here’s the problem: To ensure survival, mold spores spread its roots (Mycelia) deep into a porous surface. Mold remediation requires a cleaner to reach deep down into wood and other porous building materials to remove or "pull out" the roots. The properties of bleach prevent it from soaking into these materials. The surface mold looks gone (it's bleached white) but the internal mold always remains to grow back.

• Mcc21382458

how do you get rid of mold/mildew on a tiled ceiling?
    • Brenda Meyers

Tilex mold and mildew will do the same as your clorox and cotton balls and is much easier. Just spray on and return later and see that mold has disappeared!!!
    • Mcc21382458

problem is spraying product on the ceiling turns into tilex in your eyes and on your face...gravity doesn't keep it on.
    • Susan

put the bleach or tilex on a flat bottom mop, like swiffer, and apply to ceiling. With a little scrubbing, I think this would work. Like mopping upside down. Just don't use so much that it drips on you.
    • Rebecca

I used tilex spray with great results. Just be sure to not over spray, protect your floor and any other objects close by. I used a step stool placed off to one side. I could still reach the stain but get off of and out of the way quickly, wore gloves and eye protection and clothes that I didn't care about. I sprayed left the room and came back an hour later to check the stain. The stain took about three sprayings but was pretty bad (from a roof leak)and had been there a long time. Ceiling looks great!
    • Pat

Dow scrubbing bubbles has a foaming bleach cleaner that is great for spot mildew
    • Kyp Purifoy

I used a swiffer mop with a dry cloth sprayed with bleach to wipe down the walls and ceiling. However, the Tilex spray wouldn't smell as strong as the bleach. I ended up with too much bleach in my lungs, since I didn't wear a mask.
    • Marcia

For years I wiped down the shower walls and edge of the tub with a dry towel and I rarely got any mold. If I got any, mostly in a corner or under the tub spout, Tile did the trick or clorox clean-up. Both worked well.
    • Mary Ellen

Clorox bleach pen works great around tub, but costs more. squeeze a bead all around & leave it awhile. But this cotton ball idea is good! Thank!
  • Alp27782961

Bleach and Clorox are available already mixed and ready to go .Just spray on.
    • Susan Kimmer

Bleach and Clorox are the same thing. They make a product called Clorox cleanup. I just put bleach and water in a spray bottle. It is much cheaper.
  • Denise

Does this work for pink mildew, as well?
    • Deborah LaBate

Will someone please answer this, about pink colored on plastic trim around glass siding doors. We have hard water,but do have a softener.
    • Millie

I have never heard of pink mildew. Could it be your mildew has turned color because of buildup on it? You could take an old toothbrush and scrub it to see if it calmed off, but the bleach should do the work for you. Don't forget to ventilate, very important.
    • Janine Wereley Putzer

It should. Pink even easier to remove. I get it on my shower curtain liner occasionally and I sprayed on diluted bleach and it's gone.
      Also, it should be listed above, but I believe a 10% solution works fine.
    • Michelle

I had white wash cloths that would get pink mildew stains after 3 days of use. Washing would not remove the stains. I would put them in bleach water for a day. They got pristine white and the pink mildew stains did not return. I also use bleach to clean the mildew that starts in my shower. This works better than buying cleaning supplies in the store.

• Darlene

I was told pink mold is toxic. Much worse than black mold. A Science teacher told me this bit of info.
    • WENDY

I was told pink mildew was from our well water
    • Barb Gimbel

Just so no one panics over pink mold, which is very common. We have it here too on our shower liner. I toss it in the washer with bleach once a month with cleaning rags etc.

Everyone is aware of black mold that is very dangerous and toxic, causing harmful effects on the health of humans. ... ➺ Pink mold is actually a bacteria and not a fungi. This bacteria, scientifically called Serratia marcescens, is most commonly found in bathrooms.
    • Lynda Miller

Be careful with the bleach! Not recommended for grout on expensive tiles and it will definitely shorten the time between resealing the tile.

• RaNae

Are you sure the pink is actually mildew? I continually had pink colored deposits but they disappeared when I changed to iron remover softener salt.
    • VickiC

'Pink mold is actually not a fungus, pink colored mold is caused by a bacterium called “Serratia Marcescens.” This bacterium contains a type of mold, and it thrives in moist, wet environments.
      It is suspected that pink bathroom mold is not as dangerous as black mold.
      Also, this mold growth can be prevented by avoiding soap buildup on the shower walls and floors. It is suspected that pink mold actually feeds on soap residue, so allowing the residue to sit on walls and floor of the shower may promote additional growth.'

• Bernice H

I cleaned homes for years,I got all my people to use liquid soap. I got tired of scrubbing soap off. I used tilex for years until I broke out in hives, and eventually had to quit cleaning jobs due to fibromyalgia. Was it toxic overload? 🤔probably,in my case.
    • Suzan Livengood

I purchased a fabric shower curtain liner that I toss in the washer every couple of months and I never have any problems with mildew. I got it for about $14 at Target.
  • Sarge

You use bottled water for this? What's wrong with regular tap water?
    bottled water costs about $.75 for 12 ounces, tap water is about $2.50 per 1000 gallons delivered to your home.
    • Joy.audrey56

It doesn't say she used bottled water. That is merely depicted in the list of items used. I guess they couldn't find a picture of water coming from a tap.
    • Mercy V. Sabina

Add an answer...
      , as long as it doesn t say bottled water it is tap water
    • Kim

At the Wal-Mart in southern MN it is .88 a gallon. Our tap water is not good for drinking or cooking.
    • Alene

We get to enjoy all this information for free because of the advertising of products used. You can choose to use these or those of your own choosing. They are suggesting.. Great idea!
    • Dea29125645

The description says water. It doesn't say bottled or tap. Picture was for demo only.
    • UpState

Montana has undrinkable water ?
      Thought that all Western US water was all pure and clean ?
      What's that all about ?
    • Debbie Germano

N/A. This is about cleaning mold.... NOT about what H2O tastes good.
  • Lou

Is there an "after" picture. I only see the before.
    • Maureen greene

TThe last picture is clearly the after.

• Anessia Steward-Martin

you can also just mix half water half bleach in a spray bottle and just spray it down really good but make sure to wear a mask because it is strong but it work just as good tub is white as ever
    • Cheryl Glodowski

Sorry, but I still see mold in the last picture. I think a spray bottle with bleach water would be more effective. I'm going to also try the hydrogen peroxide. Do you use it full strength?
    • Bambi

@Cheryl Glodowski. Yes there is still some mold showing in the last picture as the bleach did not remove all of it. But if you look at the first picture and the last picture there is definitely a difference.
  • Debbie Renock

Does this work on silicone caulk ? Thanks
    • K

See my submitted response above.
  • DinainOH

Doesn't the bleach (diluted or not) dry out the caulk so you wind up having to caulk it any way?
  • Cynthia Lindahl

Wouldn't it be easier to just use a spray bottle with bleach and water? It works great?
    • Trisha

I don't know why you just can'use clorox gel toilet bowl cleaner it stays and forget the cotton balls.

• JJM82763

That is what I do any time and every time we shower

• Mary Dodge

Over time, strong chlorine can damage the surface of shower walls and tubs, so i wouldnt spray it on. Manufacturers recommend solutions of Dawn, white vinegar, and water for spray cleaning. Using the cotton balls with bleach and controlling drips sounds like a good way to attack the caulk mold. I'm going to try it!

• Diane

i have this mold in around my shower Bottom but it’s marble, will this hurt it or do anything to hurt it???

• Ellen Keyes

Have you used the idea of a paste of baking soda and bleach? The baking soda is just a conveyor for the bleach so the cotton balls may stick well to the caulk and you can paint the paste on the vertical areas. It worked really well and lasted several weeks. I have noticed that those sprays you buy in stores don't even last two days.

• Ulysses

I got mold on the tap of the shower is growing on top of the ceiling it's painted what to do ? With out dameging the sheet rock on the ceiling

• Carolina

Why not use bleach only? why mix with water?

• Karl L

Way too strong using straight bleach. You could burn skin and nostrils.

A little bleach in water is more than effective even if only 5 drops in a gallon!

So just give a splash of bleach in your mix.

• Ya-Man

What's the ratio of water to bleach?

• Cynthia Arum

My bathroom doesn't have a window, and doesn't have a fan, too. So what would I need???

• Dale

I would set a fan up in the doorway leading into the next room. Have a window open for ventilation.

• Beth

Well, Cynthia, no wonder you have mold! I don't know how your home passed inspection without either an exhaust fan or window, but you can purchase a combination overhead light and exhaust fan at any home supply store for $100 or less.

• Viv31725861

Is there an alternative to bleach? I have birds and the bleach fumes will kill them.

• Beth

Viv, I don't know of anything that will kill mold other than bleach. However, the hint here was to use it if you wanted to avoid taking out the old, moldy caulking, so your alternative is to go ahead and do that and re-caulk. Otherwise, remove the birds from the house while you use the bleach and for the day after. Get a good exhaust fan, and run it when you bathe and for a while after, and you shouldn't have mold build-up.

• Patricia Pittman

I found a recipe on Hometalk recently for mold using baking soda , vinegar and lemon juice in a spray bottle. Also another where the person bought a package of cotton "rope" from a beauty ship supplier that beauticians use when giving a customer a perm.

• Tammy

I use hydrogen peroxide,non toxic, antifungal, and kills mold spores.Spray area leave for at least 10 minutes

• Beth

Isn't cotton coil, like they use at the hair salon, non-absorbent? I mean, the whole point of it there is to keep the solution from getting on your skin, so if you use it here in the bathroom, does it really soak up the bleach solution?

• Patricia Pittman

You soak the rope in bleach and then lay it on the grout around the tub. I don't recall how long you leave it whether it's a couple of hours or overnight. If anyone else saved that hint maybe they can reply.

• Elise

Doesn’t eat away the grout?

• Pixybrat

Many bathroom cleaning products contain bleach, so i wouldn't think that the bleach would hurt the grout.

• Fid28162091

Will this work on stains on stucco?

• Donna

What about how to get black mould off wallpaper in the bathroom

• Anna

Why not just cut it all out, use the bleach to clean up residue and recaulk around the tub after it’s thoroughly dry?

• Kathy

If it's your only bathroom/tub/shower, the recommended dry/wait time after cleaning and recaulking, and before using is 2-3 days. You have to initiate the cleaning, wait 24 to 48 for that to dry befire caulking. Then wait another 24+ hours for caulk to cure properly. Can you go that long without a shower?

• Anna

Good point, I have two bathrooms, so it would work for me, not necessarily for everyone.

• Kathy

I am a terrible caulker - it always looks bad. And - tearing up the caulk sounds easy, but it is very labor intensive.

• Deborah Moss

What is the ratio with bleach and water?

• Wanda Rodgers

What I have found is to use one cup of bleach to a gallon of water.

• Gabrielle Falk

Bleach does not kill mould - at all. It bleaches ie whitens, the grouting/caulking, but does not kill the mould. I know from experience. That's why the mould returns. There are other ways - vinegar is not terribly successful. Best to go to Dr. Google, and see what is in the offing. I tried cleaning the bathroom ceiling with bleach for small mould spots (the window is always open and we use the extractor fan), but the mould always returned. Had a painter come in and he applied some foul smelling undercoat on the ceiling, and then used a mould retardant paint. He said to me, even tho' I already knew, that bleach does not work. Just colours. Best to get rid of the caulking - I know a yuk job to re-do, remove all the residue, and give the bath/tiled wall a good scrub. What I've done in the past is used my hair dryer to dry wet spots like the bath surround, as mould does not like heat. In re-caulking make sure that there are no little gaps. Is the grouting on the tiles keeping the water out? Good luck.

• Michael Conner

Bleach kills mold and is very effective if used on hard non porous surface. In this case it would not. Bleach does kill mold but not on everything.

• Karen Daniels

I did this exact method 2 1/2 years ago after moving into our new home. It’s never come back. If mold is coming back it is due to poor ventilation most likely. Always use an exhaust fan and leave the shower curtain or shower doors open a smidge on both sides to allow good ventilation. Hope this helps :D

• Wanda Rodgers

I have looked up several sources. They all say bleach mixed with water is the solution to get rid of black mold.

• Melanie

When my parents had their Bictorian house repainted after 40 years, the house painter started with a power wash of bleach water to remove the mold in the wood before he started painting.

• Ann

After you go to all this trouble. Get you some tea tree oil from the drug store and Qtips and spread over all you cleaned. It will kill the mold and it will not cone back. I do mine once a month with two of us showering everyday.

You can get tea tree oil at the drugstore. Good luck.

• Julia Aguirre

How to redo marble or even change the look to something more modern or antique

• Denia

will this work the same on sheep rock?

• Kara Saurenman

Do you mean SHEET ROCK? It's the cardboard covered white gypsum used on walls....sometimes called "wakeboard". If so, the answer is NO. Sheet rock should be painted & never put water on it. It will mold, mildew & fall apart. Never heard of "sheep rock".

• Jackie brown

Thanks Khicks4330. That's exactly what I was going to say about the (WHITE) vinegar. It will keep the mold from growing again. The bleach will kill it, but it will keep coming back until you follow up with the white vinegar after you use the bleach. Make sure to let bleach dry before you spray with vinegar.

Jackie Brown.

• Jo

I use Tilex. Same thing and you spray it on and leave it. Do this when you are going to be away for a couple of hrs. Spray down with hot water. Have been doing this for 40 yrs.