Jill B
Jill B
  • Bismarck, ND

Winter tree cabinet---where whimsy meets wood

Advanced

I got this cabinet from our church...such great bones. But a heavily varnished glossy ugly finish. The before picture makes it look gorgeous, but not so great in person. It had 30 yr old shelf liner...an odor...but tons of potential. So first I used vineagar and hot water to get liner off. Then krud kutter and goo gone to get rid of adhesive. Followed that up with coconut oil. I have wanted to transfer branches and birds on to a piece forever and this one was calling my name. I used a projector to transfer the image. I painted the white with Annie Sloan chalk paint. Have to wax it yet to protect it. So far I am pretty pleased with the result. :)

winter tree cabinet, chalk paint, kitchen cabinets, painted furniture, Completed

Completed........

winter tree cabinet, chalk paint, kitchen cabinets, painted furniture, before I distressed at all

Before I distressed at all.

winter tree cabinet, chalk paint, kitchen cabinets, painted furniture, Before sorry to those who don t like to see wood painted

Before...sorry to those who don't like to see wood painted!!! :)

winter tree cabinet, chalk paint, kitchen cabinets, painted furniture, 30 year old shelf liner or contact paper a beast to remove

30 year old shelf liner or contact paper.....a beast to remove!!!

winter tree cabinet, chalk paint, kitchen cabinets, painted furniture, Pesky adhesive nothing a few hours and krud cutter followed up with goo gone and elbow grease cannot handle

Pesky adhesive....nothing a few hours and Krud Cutter followed up with goo gone and elbow grease cannot handle.

winter tree cabinet, chalk paint, kitchen cabinets, painted furniture, Before coconut oil lost a bit of stain in the scrubbing process

Before coconut oil....lost a bit of stain in the scrubbing process...

winter tree cabinet, chalk paint, kitchen cabinets, painted furniture, After coconut oil I am amazed by how they came back to life

After coconut oil...I am amazed by how they came back to life!!!!

winter tree cabinet, chalk paint, kitchen cabinets, painted furniture, Just starting to transfer the image using a projector Nothing tedious here

Just starting to transfer the image using a projector....Nothing tedious here!

winter tree cabinet, chalk paint, kitchen cabinets, painted furniture, 1st coat of white I had to walk away awhile and actually posted a pic on hometalk to find out if I was crazy to keep on with with the mind numbing process I got an overwhelming response to keep on It was what I needed

1st coat of white....I had to walk away awhile and actually posted a pic on hometalk to find out if I was crazy to keep on with with the mind-numbing process.!!!! I got an overwhelming response to keep on! It was what I needed. :)

winter tree cabinet, chalk paint, kitchen cabinets, painted furniture, details the paint crackled a bit wasn t what I tried to do but I like the look think it was due to the heavily varnished finish

Details....the paint crackled a bit....wasn't what I tried to do, but I like the look. think it was due to the heavily varnished finish.

winter tree cabinet, chalk paint, kitchen cabinets, painted furniture, heavily distressed might distress a bit more yet LOVE me some antiquing

Heavily distressed.....might distress a bit more yet...LOVE me some antiquing.

winter tree cabinet, chalk paint, kitchen cabinets, painted furniture, heavily distressed

Here it is heavily distressed.

details
details
details and distressing
details and distressing
winter tree cabinet, chalk paint, kitchen cabinets, painted furniture, inside I like the contrast of the stark white doors with the wood shelves If I hadn t put sooooo much time into it already I would consider redoing the plywood back

inside...I like the contrast of the stark white doors with the wood shelves. If I hadn't put sooooo much time into it already I would consider redoing the plywood back.

• Colleen

Did you create the projected image freehand or is it something you could share the source of? I have been looking for an image just like that without success. Thinking I'll have to freehand it. I love what you did!