Small Critter Fence

$8

I had read about using fishing line to keep little critters out of a garden so I took it a step further and created an actual fence to keep bunnies out of my planter.

It's very inexpensive so if it should break or get worn down by weather, it's very easy to set up again.
These are skewers you can get at any store. I found these at walmart and got 150 for $3. I also purchased fishing line. I picked up 50lb line for $5. You want to make sure you don't get anything too thin since you want it to be like a fence.

Once you have placed your skewers in position around the area you are trying to protect it is time to start running the fence. I have three layers of line. I did a simple loop at each skewer to keep it in place. The first layer is right above your mulch or dirt. The next layer should be 1/2 in above the bottom layer and then the 3rd layer is 1/2 in above that. I've learned that bunnies will test areas with their noses. if they hit something they will run away. So by increasing the height, the bunnies will give up once it gets to the top level.
This is how transparent it is in the planter. This helps if you have an HOA. No one can see it from the street.
this is a better picture showing the levels of line. You want them tight so it will not push over when a critter tries to get into the area.

Once I got mine up, I could see a difference in my plants in a week. You can still see how badly they were eaten and are starting to grow back.

• Fishing line 50lb  (walmart)
  • Skewers 1 package  (walmart)

• Mary Ann Boone

What about ammonia for keeping squirrels away from tomato plants? They have eaten all of my tomatoes!
  • Cindy

How do I keep groundhogs out of my garden

• Lisa L Smith

Ground hogs are a whole different critter when it comes to keeping them out of your garden. Since they burrow, you can bury chicken wire to form a perimeter around your garden. they are deep diggers so you would need to bury about 2 fee of chicken wire. I hope that helps.

• Cindy

How do u keep groundhogs out of the garden

• Lisa L Smith

Ground hogs are tough. They burrow so to deter them you need to bury chicken wire to form a perimeter around your garden. It is pretty easy but you need to get the wire at least 2 feet deep. I don't know if the sonic mole repellers would work for ground hogs or not.

Here's a photo of one. You can get them just about anywhere. It might be worth a try if you have a large area to protect.

Let us know if either one works.

• Dee

Once I read to use beer for slugs. Well, the chipmunks loved the beer. They were tipsy!
  • Jane

Thanks for your idea and pictures that show how to do it 😊.