Laundry Basket Upcycle

$12

Learn how to transform a plain dollar store laundry basket into a pretty burlap basket for your home storage and decor needs! This is an inexpensive project that does not take a lot of time to make, yet the results are fantastic! It will be a great addition to your home. (You can see more of my storage and organization projects here!)
Begin by spray painting a plain laundry basket. You can choose any color you like! Just make sure you pick a spray paint that works on plastic.
Once the spray painted laundry basket has fully dried, cut a piece of burlap ribbon to be 1.5 times the circumference of the bottom row of slats on the basket.
Begin weaving the burlap ribbon in and out of the slats.
Tie off the ends of the burlap ribbon on the inside of the basket.
Repeat the process all the way up the basket until you have filled each row with burlap ribbon.
Add any additional embellishments you like. I added a wooden tag labeled "cozy things" and some yarn pom poms for fun.
Fill your basket with anything you need! Blankets, pillows, plants, or clutter you need to hide are all perfect items to store in your laundry basket turned decorative basket!
To learn more about this project and to see the full shoppable supply list and additional photos, please visit my blog at the link below. Also, please visit my Home Decor Projects Gallery here!

31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
Bre @ Average But Inspired

• Shehnaz
    Shehnaz

I have not used burlap before; I am wondering wouldn't burlap fibers get on the clothes or whatever is put in the basket?

• Flipturn
      Flipturn

Upholstery burlap, also called jute or hessian, that comes in rolls, has the edges already pre-sealed to prevent fraying. However it does have a distinctive smell, and yes, sheds as well to some degree, depending on how tightly it is woven.

The 'ribbon' that was used in this project appears to be less tightly woven than the examples below, and does show some fraying already.

• Taryn Kriebel
    Taryn Kriebel

How many spools does this take?

• Flipturn
      Flipturn

That would depend on what the length of ribbon is on each spool, and what the total circumference is going around the basket weaving in and out of the slats.

Excellent question, which I see has not yet been answered by the poster of the project.

• Debbi Pitchke
    Debbi Pitchke

Could you show the how to, to make those tiles, and the supply list, please?