Alicia W
Alicia W
  • Middletown, PA

Dusting Hacks That Are Crazy Easy

$10
1 Minute

Here are a few dusting tips that are so easy you'll say, "Why didn't I think of that?"
Use these tips and your house will be dust-free in no time.
Almost every home has ceiling fans and while we don't see it, they get really dusty. Using an old pillowcase, cover the blades, one at a time, then pull the case towards you. The dust will be contained in the pillowcase not falling on your head.
After you're done dusting, just throw the case into the washer.
Look closely at your lamp shades. This is another place where we don't really see the dust but it's there.
Using a lint roller, roll over the entire shade. Yuk!
While you've got the lint roller in your hand, roll it over your upholstered headboard.
Amazing how dusting that is too.
Give your plants a dusting and a shine by rubbing them with a dry microfiber cloth. You don't need anything on the cloth, just rubbing the leaves brings out the shine.
Using two microfiber cloths, four small binder clips and a pair of kitchen tongs, you can make a slatted blind cleaner.
Simply wrap a microfiber cloth around each tong and place a binder clip on each end to keep the cloth on the tong.
Close the tongs on each slate and slide across.
When your done, upclip the cloths and throw them into the washer.
And my favorite...canned air!!
Blast dust off of books,
Ornate picture frames,
Baskets,
Those hard to dust places on your tchotchkes,
faux greenery and flowers. Really, the possibilities are endless.

• Janny

I'm glad I hadn't cleaned my ceiling fans yet. I tried your idea with the pillow case and, WOW, how much easier it was. After cleaning the blades on the first fan I used a damp cloth to wipe the tops of the blades and I was surprised I didn't get much dirt off of them. The second fan I only used the pillow case. It was so much quicker!! Thanks for the tip!

• I have a small shop vac with a soft bristle attachment. Anything that blows, just puts the dust elsewhere. I use the shop vac on all these surfaces.