Weed or flower?

+11
Live in zone 5
q weed or flower
q weed or flower
  • Dfm Dfm on Jul 13, 2017
    a relitive of wild chicory may be? The flowers look the same.
  • Jennifer Freij Jennifer Freij on Jul 13, 2017
    Weed!! It is a very weedy variety of a desirable campanula. It's a weed because it will spread and crowd out everything else; because it's roots are very fine (like hairs!) and spreading, it is hard to eliminate.
    • See 1 previous
    • Sherry R Sherry R on Jul 13, 2017
      Here we refer to that weed as a type of Loose Strife, and it is awful. Once it starts, it spreads and it is very, very hard to eliminate.

• Mjm Connors Mjm Connors on Jul 13, 2017
    flower
  • Sheila Sheila on Jul 13, 2017
    looks like lavendar
    • Lau27535121 Lau27535121 on Jul 15, 2017
      That is not lavender at least not what lavender looks like in my part of the country and I am in zone 5
  • Kathy Moody Kathy Moody on Jul 13, 2017
    I know it's not lavender , but is still pretty, remember a weed is still a flower only planted in the wrong place! Kathy Moody Burlington WA.
  • Liz Liz on Jul 13, 2017
    Both! I fought for years to get rid of it, my cousin has a large wild flower bed on her acreage and has large clumps of it interspersed throughout.
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jul 14, 2017
    campanula bell flower
  • Lagree Wyndham Lagree Wyndham on Jul 14, 2017
    A flower is just a weed somebody loves.
  • Kala Kala on Jul 14, 2017
    I had to move an entire garden because of this invasive weed. Moving entailed washing all the roots of every plant! it has been a 2 year process.
  • Anon Anon on Jul 19, 2017
    I guess it depends on your thought processes or needs as to whether you consider a weed a bad thing. check out www.goodfoodworld.com/2014/04/campanula-edible-bellflowers/ and or the website eattheweeds.com. Sometimes edible 'weeds' can be more nutritious than some of the other foods we eat! But also be very careful when trying to identify.