A Cold Tiled Basement is Transformed Into a Fun Playroom for Kids

1 material
$3000
3 Weeks
Houses typically come with a blank slate of concrete floors, framed and insulated exterior walls, and endless possibilities. Our basement came partially finished with carpet and tile flooring, but no ceiling and not to code plumbing, electrical and heating.
To start with a clean slate we had to remove the tile flooring, haul away the heavy tile pieces, and remove the thinset. It was an exhausting and time consuming project. Never again will I do this job while still living in the house.  If I bought a house that needed tile removed I would do the disgusting part before anything we owned was moved into the house. SO. Gross.
The basement flooring during the removal process. The tile floors were so cold and so dark.
I really liked using the jackhammer to remove the tiles. We fought over who got to use it!
It is finally feeling like a blank slate. Now to haul those heavy and deathly sharp tiles out.
Sanding away the thinset was such a gross job. I will never look at tile floors the same way, thinking of how much work they are to remove.
Boxes and boxes of flooring.
Tools used to install - a chalk line, rubber mallet, tapping block, and jigsaw.
Late nights installing, moving furniture around the room.
Beginning the first few rows - using a spacer to allow room for expansion and to keep the boards in place as we added the next pieces.
It feels so bright and clean. My kids love being able to run and play in this space. Be sure to check out the post for all the details, tips and tricks on installing a vinyl plank floor.

• Allure Isocore Vinyl Plank Floors   (Home Depot)

Questions on this post

Your question...
3 of 14 questions

Comments

2 of 40 comments
Next