A Cold Tiled Basement is Transformed Into a Fun Playroom for Kids

1 Material
$3000
3 Weeks

Houses typically come with a blank slate of concrete floors, framed and insulated exterior walls, and endless possibilities. Our basement came partially finished with carpet and tile flooring, but no ceiling and not to code plumbing, electrical and heating.
To start with a clean slate we had to remove the tile flooring, haul away the heavy tile pieces, and remove the thinset. It was an exhausting and time consuming project. Never again will I do this job while still living in the house.  If I bought a house that needed tile removed I would do the disgusting part before anything we owned was moved into the house. SO. Gross.
how to install a vinyl plank floor
The basement flooring during the removal process. The tile floors were so cold and so dark.
how to install a vinyl plank floor
I really liked using the jackhammer to remove the tiles. We fought over who got to use it!
how to install a vinyl plank floor
It is finally feeling like a blank slate. Now to haul those heavy and deathly sharp tiles out.
how to install a vinyl plank floor
Sanding away the thinset was such a gross job. I will never look at tile floors the same way, thinking of how much work they are to remove.
how to install a vinyl plank floor
Boxes and boxes of flooring.
how to install a vinyl plank floor
Tools used to install - a chalk line, rubber mallet, tapping block, and jigsaw.
how to install a vinyl plank floor
Late nights installing, moving furniture around the room.
how to install a vinyl plank floor
Beginning the first few rows - using a spacer to allow room for expansion and to keep the boards in place as we added the next pieces.
how to install a vinyl plank floor
It feels so bright and clean. My kids love being able to run and play in this space. Be sure to check out the post for all the details, tips and tricks on installing a vinyl plank floor.

• Allure Isocore Vinyl Plank Floors  (Home Depot)

Brooke Berry

• Rene Ewing

Why did you have to remove the old tiles? If you had to jack hammer they must have been down real well.
    • Brooke Berry

It was in a basement, so the tiles were glued down to concrete. If it were on a higher floor we could have just ripped out the subfloor and it would have been so much easier. Also, the flooring could go over the tile but only half of the room had tile. Its so much easier to start with a clean slate!
  • Dot

I have ceramic tile floor in kitchen and laundry room.. Can I install this over the tile that I have..

• Nhe24712250

i love the way it all looks. what a good job you did. what is the cost and where you got the planks /
    • Brooke Berry

The planks are from Home Depot - the brand is Allure Isocore. You can get the exact color and details on my blog post, linked above. The cost would depend on how much square footage you need, my basement was about 800 sq. ft.

• Sherrie

I love love love the Allure flooring!!! I worked at THD when it first came out, and the stuff that had sticky sealing I wasn't so impressed with, but when the tongue and groove stuff showed up? Oh My Gosh!!! I put it in my bathroom, and it was beautiful!!!! I can't wait to redo my bathroom in my new place, Allure is my floor of choice!
  • Rick Chong

Allure Isocore Kingsley Oak is what we used in our whole house. These were xlong (6 feet X 8.7") Love it. They don't make Isocore anymore. They have changed it to Lifeproof. Isocore we felt was much better. We lucked out and managed to get enough between 2 different stores as none of the stores were getting anymore. Glad we were still able to get it