DIY Moroccan Inspired Lantern Made From Old Glass and Paper Doilies

$20

I love bohemian style and especially their colourful lanterns and glass. When I took part in a DIY challenge I knew I wanted to create a beautiful DIY Moroccan inspired lantern myself from items I already had at home. It turned out even more beautiful than I imagined.
diy moroccan inspired lantern made from old glass and paper doilies
I used an oversized old glass jar I had at home and washed it.
Once dry, I decided to try the unicorn spit on the glass.  First step before using unicorn spit, I put a layer of mod podge (so the Unicorn Spit had something to adhere to) and let it dry completely. Mod podge dries clear, so is a perfect base for glass.  Whilst unicorn spit was drying, I mixed a custom colour, I was aiming for a nice turquoise.  You will need - blue: green: white to create turquoise. If you don't have unicorn spit, acrylic paints might work too.
Once the mod podge was dry, I painted the glass with Unicorn Spit.  The following step is optional, but as I wanted a nice authentic look I noticed paper towel I used to dry brushes, had a lovely pattern on, so I wrapped the glass in the paper towel and gently dabbed it, to remove excess Unicorn spit and create a pattern!
Doesn't this look gorgeous?!
The next step was to embellish the lantern.  I used a couple of paper doilies that I had in my craft stash and cut out the various shapes, then simply glued them on the glass using Mod Podge. 
I wanted to create a lovely lid for the lantern, so I found a fixture from an old lampshade, which I spray painted gold and glued on a door knob.  I added some turquoise accents on the door knob too.
To finish it off, I used a little gold accents around the embellishments to bring the whole look together!
A little bit of detail.

From Evija with Love

• Hope

I woud luv to try this! Does the paper towel stay on the glass? Thank you!

• From Evija with Love

thank you Hope, i just pressed the paper towel against the wet unicorn spit (or paint if you use paint) and removed excess, literally for a few seconds which created the lovely pattern. Be sure not to smudge it, just little dabs

• Rachel

wasnt clear if paper towel stays on The Glass or is only used for pattern. Very nice!

• From Evija with Love

That’s right the paper towel really is just to press agains the wet mod podge /unicorn spit and then is removed it’s simply creating the beautiful pattern like a seal .

• MawD

Beautiful! Very inspiring.

Is the gold dust put on dry or did you add before the midge podge dried? If I missed it, I apologize. Thanks!!

• Sunny

Very cool 😎!

• Eileen ross

All I can say is.........AWESOME! I just have to try it. I wonder if a few small jewels would be overkill. What do you think?

• Eileen thank you ! Jewels are a great idea .. there’s only one way to find out ! Add them and if you don’t like them take them off .. I think it would look wonderful would love to see when you are done !