What's the best soil for indoor succulents?

+11
I love to use cute mugs that aren't practicle for my morning coffee and turn them into mini succulent gardens, but I'm wondering if I'm using the best soil for them.
q what s the best soil for indoor succulents
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jul 15, 2017
    Succulent soil
  • Susan baughcum Susan baughcum on Jul 15, 2017
    I use cactus soil I buy from Home Depot, it has a lot of sand in it and does not hold water
  • Suzette Suzette on Jul 15, 2017
    Hi Lauren, Here's a link with lots of good information! https://www.succulentsandsunshine.com/guide-growing-succulents-indoor-house-plants/

Have fun!

• Linda Hunt Linda Hunt on Jul 15, 2017
      Since I wish to do the same thing as Lauren I am going to use your site Suzette. Thank you both ladies!
  • Annette St.Onge Annette St.Onge on Jul 15, 2017
    Cactus soil
  • Barb Barb on Jul 15, 2017
    My Jades are in ordinary Miracle Grow potting soil. (Not their cactus/succulents) They are in partial shade under an oak Tree. It gets very hot in Florida. During the rainy seasons they get what water our tree will allow. I water them very little in the fall. A small plant has grown into four large plants in just a few years.
    • See 1 previous
    • Barb Barb on Jul 15, 2017
      They were watered maybe once a month, I would just checked to see if they were dry. Mark your calendar if that helps. Maybe the 1st of the month. You can pick a day you want to check them.
  • Noreen Schaan Noreen Schaan on Jul 15, 2017
    I like to use half potting soil ( Miracle Grow ) and half fine sand ...mine love it! And don't water too often...embellish your litte area in the mug to mke cute litte scenes to. I also add little ceramic things. tea pots , animals ,etc...the possibilities are endless .
  • Lori Hettrick Lori Hettrick on Jul 15, 2017
    Half sand and half potting soil. Water every two weeks or spritz once a week.
  • Florent Florent on Jul 16, 2017
    Succulent need a 50% sand-50% organicground. With a few drops of woter from time to time, it will be perfect...
  • MK McDonald MK McDonald on Jul 22, 2017
    Mine just sit in little dishes of a small amount of water at the bottom. They are growing awesome roots and thriving. I have a few in a tiny bit of potting soul and those are shooting skyward also. I have a plan for all of them but haven't had time yet! You can do all the 'right things' for your plants but still kill 'em.
  • Claire Amirault Claire Amirault on Jul 22, 2017
    special soil for succulents in any gardening store!
  • Vic C Sciberras Vic C Sciberras on Jul 25, 2017
    If you are in the UK use John Innes no 3. or ready made Cacti soil sold in 5 Litre bags. If you are outside the UK you can make your own John Innes no. 3. Use one part of each; Loam soil, organic compost and horticultural grit. This can also be used for alpines. Don't forget to add nutrients too.