Sandra Ross Warren
Sandra Ross Warren
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Port Crane, NY

Gave My Lamp Shade a New Life

$8

I had this lamp with a damaged shade so for about $5-$8 I created a new shade and it took about two hours.
Wounded shade
Wounded shade
A lamp that was given to me had a damaged shade and instead of discarding the whole thing I decided I would attempt to give it new life. I made the design up as I went along so I altered my design mid process.
Remove the damaged shade material
Remove the damaged shade material
I removed the material from the shade frame.
gave my lam
I gathered the materials I planned to use: Brown craft/shipping paper ($1 at dollar stores/$3 ish at Walmart for wider version), Any brand of black craft paint, hot glue gun/glue, a straight pin (or needle). I also used black yarn (not shown here) that I had on hand but can be purchased at Walmart for a few bucks, and last but not least a high gloss clear coat spray ( I used Krylon for $3 and change from Walmart.
Wrap
Wrap
I could not remove the shade frame but if you are able to with your shade that would make it much easier. Wrap the paper all the way around leaving plenty of overlap and cut from the tube. Less is needed if your shade is completely vertical. Mine is tapered with 6 flat panels so I had to have plenty of extra overlap.
gave my lam
Fold your cut paper in half and crease, this crease will be the starting point for hot gluing to the vertical wires. Place a drop of glue at the top and bottom of one of the vertical wires making sure to leave paper overhanging at both the top and bottom of the shade. Repeat this at each of the vertical wires pulling the paper as tight as possible before placing onto the glue spots.
gave my lam
Glue the end of the flap over where you began gluing. Trim the excess flap and the top and bottom off leaving about half an inch overhang on the top and bottom.
gave my lam
Snip a "V" at each of the vertical wire locations so when the paper is folded around the bottom of the shade frame and glued, it will not have a bulge and it will lay flat. Use the hot glue and glue the flaps up around the bottom if the frame.
gave my lam
Repeat the last process for the top of the shade and this is what you end up with.
Hold image with clothes pins
Hold image with clothes pins
Find an image you like. I sketched this one but you can google silhouette images and print out an image (or several different images you like), Use clothes pins to hold the images in place as shown.
Trace image by poking pin holes.
Trace image by poking pin holes.
Use the pin and poke holes through the image and craft paper shade all the way around, tracing your image with pin holes. *NOTE* tape the pin/needle to a pencil to save your fingers.
gave my lam
Pin hole tracing completed. I decided to use one image and mirror it on each of the adjoining panels. (hopefully you can see the pinhole detail in this picture)
gave my lam
I use the black craft paint mixed with a little water and used the pinholes as an outline and painted the images on each of the panels.
gave my lam
I used the black yarn and hot glue and trimmed each of the frame wire locations and tied at each joint at the bottom and left enough excess to create tassels brushed them out and trimmed the tassels to the same length. I completed the project by spraying the clear coat over the whole shade which to my surprise gave it a leather look that stayed even after drying.
gave my lam
Wounded shade revived!

• Charlotte Biller

? After making the pinhole tracing , your paper suddenly takes on a mottled & varied hue. Did you leave out a step? How is this achieved?

• Deloris Barker-Houk

Because it is shipping paper it will have the mottled look It's unbleached paper.this It's what gave the leather look after it was sprayed.I have done this with freezer paper leaving the plastic side out and painted the picture with water colors. You can see a light coloring through it and no need to spray it. I trimmed it out with decorative trim and it was beautiful.

• Bbunny42

If you remove the light bulb, won't the shade come off? This is very nice.

• Lynn

Really love this! I was wondering where you got the table it's on? I LOVE the butterfly!