Sandra Ross Warren
Sandra Ross Warren
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Port Crane, NY

Mailbox Makeover.

$30

I apologize that I do not have all the steps of this project, I created it before I was invited to do my DIY's on here but I couldn't resist showing it off.
mailbox makeover, Before
Before
Plain black mail box.
mailbox makeover
I spray painted the entire box with the white paint (Rust-Oleum), let it dry and masked off the top portion in the design of the vw bus and painted the burnt orange engine paint.
mailbox makeover
I taped off around where I wanted the windows to be and painted them black then I sprayed some of the chrome paint into a dish and used a paint brush to add a chrome stripe just above the burnt orange paint then I spray painted the headlights and used clear gorilla glue to attach them. I cut the chain off the key chain and gorilla glued it to the front for the emblem. I used wooden shims to make the grill, gorilla glued it together and painted it with chrome paint. Using pieces of shim I made the side mirror bases and glued scrap pieces of metal rods to that and added sanded down smaller game pieces for the side mirrors.
mailbox makeover
I cut the black foam into the tires and pressed the hubcaps in and glued them. I couldn't add the tires until I attached the mail box to the post.
mailbox makeover, After
After
I drilled a hole into the flag and added a string so the mail man wouldn't have to reach around the side mirror to place the flag back down. I glued on the tires and added the name to the front of the box.

• Rust-Oleum White spray paint  (Walmart $3)
  • VHT Engine metallic burnt orange paint  (Advance auto $7)
  • VW keychain (for front emblem)  (ebay $4)