What is the best way to clean a steam iron?

AmAtHomeSunny CJodi Murray Hendon
+5

It has something on the bottom that got some black stuff on my white pants!

• Julie M.
    Julie M.

I put it on high and iron rags to get the gunk off.
  • Sunny C
    Sunny C

Hello Marge; Make a paste out of Baking soda and water. Cover the bottom of your iron and turn to the highest setting. Wipe the iron until the bottom is clean.
    Also, you should clean the inside of the iron by mixing up half a cup of water with one fourth a cup of white vinegar. Steam this mixture into clean rags.
    I hope that this helps you!! Take Care!
  • Chubby58
    Chubby58

Use a flat razor blade and scrape it off. That's the only thing that works for me.
  • Cindy Gardner
    Cindy Gardner

lay out wax paper then pour layer table salt. Turn iron on high and iron salt. When all clean wipe off with Clem rag. Then use white vinegar and water to clean inside. Just keep steaming. Finally use clear water to flush vinegar solution. Wipe down when cool with damp rag should be ready to go.
  • Jodi Murray Hendon
    Jodi Murray Hendon

Heat the iron to the highest and then rub it over fine steel wool. Or, you can buy iron cleaner at fabric stores. I've got one that looks like a big lipstick. I coat the bottom of the iron and then iron it off on an old towel.
  • Sunny C
    Sunny C

You are Welcome, Marge! I hope that this works well for you!
  • AmAtHome
    AmAtHome

I used the instructions in the link, the baking soda /water paste worked great! https://www.realsimple.com/home-organizing/cleaning/laundry/clean-iron