How to Preserve Your Home Grown Fresh Herbs With Sea Salt

Sea salt is a simple and tasty alternative for preserving fresh homegrown herbs. The fresh herbs permeate every ounce of the salt mixture and release a fragrant intoxicating aroma.
Sea salt made with fresh basil, mint, and thyme is delicious for seasoning  pure food recipes.  They also work as great body scrubs. Make some for yourself and to give as gifts, because everyone appreciates a nice home made touch.
Sea salt made with fresh basil, mint, and thyme is delicious for seasoning pure food recipes. They also work as great body scrubs. Make some for yourself and to give as gifts, because everyone appreciates a nice home made touch.
Flowering herbs make a wonderful bouquet, but it is best to choose herbs that have not already flowered. This allows the concentration of oils, and consequently the flavor, to remain in the leaves, not in the production of flowers.
Be sure to use fresh herbs to get the most concentrated flavors.
Once fresh herbs are blended, dried, and bottled, refrigeration is not necessary. Shelf life is about 6 months. Right around the time your next crop of fresh herbs will be popping up in the garden. Learn how at http://puregracefarms.com/?p=1129

Shari@puregrace

• Mary

Please tell me how much of each is in this recipe. I'd really like to try this but would like your input so that I don't need to experiment too much. What do you use this for (specifically if you wouldn't mind). Thank you so much.

• OceeB

I went to her blog link and saw thisHOW TO PRESERVE HOMEGROWN HERBS WITH SEA SALT

• Use 1/4 Cup herbs to each 1 cup of coarse sea salt ( add more or less herbs to your taste, experiment and have fun with it).
      • Place herbs and coarse sea salt in blender or food processor.
      • Blend until herbs are well incorporated with salt.
      • Pour salt and herb mixture onto baking sheet and spread mixture evenly.
      • Cover pan with cheese cloth.
      • Allow herb and salt mixture to dry in area away from strong sunlight (sunlight will bleach salt mixture and cause your pretty colored salt to go from lovely shades of green to pure white).
      • Once dry (usually takes about a day) scrape up your salt mixture and put in back in the blender for another quick blend.
      • Put in clean, dry, container with air tight seal.
      • Store in a cool, dry area for best flavor.

• Chrissie Gallagher

thanks for that OceeB

• Judith

What is the ratio for the herb salt mix I didn’t catch it in your post

• OceeB

• Cover pan with cheese cloth.

• Gigi

Great post, I am going to make some today with rosemary and garlic, later may mix lavender in Epsom salt for my bath.

• Deb

Hi Gigi--I've made rosemary & mint for salt & sugar scrubs & it's a best seller!!

• Dianne Phillips

I'd love to do this but I can't find the rec