Wall Mounted Sewing Cabinet

$150

This cabinet stands 14" from the wall, and not only holds your sewing machine, but is also a bobbin/spool cabinet, and a 6 ft long sewing table.
I got the directions from a Popular Mechanics Encyclopedia book (circa 1976).
Here is the closed cabinet - the white part is the bobbin/spool cabinet, and the yellow is the table & sewing machine storage.
This may be from a book from the '70s, but it just goes to show that space-saving requirements are timeless
Here's the white cabinet, opened to make the "leg" and showing the spool cabinet inside. The spool holders were purchased (2 of them) at WalMart.
The original instructions were to put a hole in the table, to accommodate the sewing machine but, as each sewing machine has a different "footprint" I decided not to, and just move the sewing machine into the cabinet whenever I needed a full table. I never know when I'd buy another sewing machine!
These 4 pages constitute the directions I followed, and the measurements.
We actually used heavier lumber than they required, because we "beefed up" the wall in a room we were building to accommodate the cabinet. The original one is very light. We made it heavier, which means to open & close it I can still do it (as a young senior), but will need to have my hubby (also a young senior) to open it in later years.
Part of our "beefing it up" called for a longer table top, and we also laminated the top of the table, because the plywood was catching on the fabric. We put contact cement on the lumber, and carefully laid the laminate onto it (only get one shot to make it straight!).
This picture shows a picture being added to the front of the spool cabinet. I haven't, as yet, but plan to do so, to make it more decorative.

• 2x4s for the back brace  (Rona Building Supplies)
  • 5/8" plywood  (Rona Building Supplies)
  • Spool holders (2)  (WalMart)

Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
Fun Father's Day Gift Ideas You Can Make Yourself
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round

• Joh33773510
    Joh33773510

Where can I get a better and clear plan for this project

• Joh33773510
    Joh33773510

Where can I get a better and clear plan for this project? Can you email me at johnnyy4@afrihost.co.za

Thanks Johnny

• Helena Quiring Baldwin
    Helena Quiring Baldwin

Could you also email me a better and clear plan of this project? My email is hmq2004@comcast.net.

Thanks Helena

• Hillela G.
    Hillela G.

Oh my gosh! Great idea!
    • Susan
      Susan

Thank you. When I saw this in the book, I knew I had to have it. It took about 20 years before I got it, and I just love it.

• Denise Gillespie Howard
    Denise Gillespie Howard

I LOVE this! Thank you for taking the time to put all of it on here. It will definitely be in my next house.
    • Susan
      Susan

I'm glad you like it. I'd love to see your version of this - there are so many decorative options!