Homemade Soft Scrub Recipe

$05

Today’s chemistry hacks post is a fun homemade soft scrub recipe you can make for just a few cents.

It is really great to clean and refresh the kitchen! You can also use it for bathrooms and any other place that needs a good scrub.

As usual with a chemistry hacks post, I will share the chemistry behind why this cleaner works so well plus what chemicals you are avoiding by making your own
Ingredients:

• 1 tablespoon lemon infused rubbing alcohol**
  • 1 tablespoon blue Dawn dishwashing liquid
  • 3 tablespoons baking soda
  • pinch of lemon powder (optional, please click blog post link at the bottom for lemon powder details)

Directions:

For more detailed information on infused alcohol, read our homemade bug spray post. Infusing rubbing alcohol with lemon makes a better cleaning agent.

You not only get the acidity from the lemon peel, but also the oils from the lemon. You CAN use lemon oil with the alcohol, but I prefer to use lemon infused alcohol for the acidity. I've tested both versions, and the lemon infused alcohol always works better.

**To make infused alcohol, just fill a jar with lemon peels, fill to top with rubbing alcohol. Allow to steep for 2 weeks or up to a few months.

Add the ingredients to a bowl and mix.

Texture will be thick, but will still pour (almost like a pancake batter) like in the picture below.

FOR STORAGE INFORMATION and HOW LONG MIXTURE LASTS: Please Click Blog Post Link

To Use:

I love this for almost anything.

For cleaning bathtubs or showers: add a teaspoon of this mixture to a wet sponge or scrub brush (I like it best with a scrub brush). Start working circularly around the area. By adding water to this mixture, you will get really good suds and foam. Continue to add additional teaspoons if needed and rub in circular motion. Rinse well.

For counter tops: use a soft sponge that is damp and rub in a circular motion. This will also foam using a damp sponge, so make sure to wipe off with a towel.

For the tutorial on glass surfaces like stove tops, please click the blog link for our picture tutorial on this.

Chemist Tips for Homemade Soft Scrub:

After testing different combinations, ratios, and methods, this homemade soft scrub was ultimately the most effective.

Click here to see a breakdown of store-bought soft scrub ingredients vs Chemistry Cachet's ingredients. It is so interesting to see all the chemicals contained in the store-bought soft scrub. We also share why we used the ingredients we did and WHY they work!!
Remember to check out the blog post link to learn about lemon powder plus a detailed tutorial on making it (it is so easy and great for cleaning solutions!).

Refresh your home with this lemony homemade soft scrub recipe!

30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
Alexis @ Chemistry Cachet

• Deb McCall

How long can this mixture be stored after it’s been used and more is left?

Thanks,

Deb

• Dun26319987

Will this remove rust stains and is safe for fiberglass and plastics?

• Sandy

I have granite countertops in the kitchen a porcelain floors in most of the house what do you suggest to clean them esp. the granite countertops in the kitchen I have to seal them yearly...Thanks 6-19-19/Tuesday

• Denise Shelton Gallagher

wow i like this idea--- i want to try it.

• Barb

I Thank You dearly for these recipes and the information. You went to a LOT of trouble and time to share your knowledge about homemade natural cleansing products. I'd FAR RATHER use natural products than chemical ones, including shower gels and bubble bath. I can think of numerous other ways to use the lemon infused alcohol and the final product as well. I'm going to check out your Blog Links too! AGAIN, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SHARING!