DIY Starch Glue.

78K Views
DIY starch glue
2 easy to follow recipes. Cheap and eco-friendly substitutes to store-bought liquid starches and glues.
Time: 15 MinutesCost: $3Difficulty: Easy
  • diy starch glue
If you love crafting with your kids, but you're afraid of harmful ingredients in glues (and you hate the messy aftermath of crafting), you can switch to no-mess & non-toxic homemade glues! They are super easy to make and involve ingredient you probably already have in your pantry.
Recipe no.1
Starch glue.
  • diy starch glue
2 ingredient starch glue. Homemade, non-toxic glue for crafts. Perfect for crafting with children.

Ingredients:
-200ml of cold water,
-3 tablespoons of corn starch or corn flour (corn starch works better)

Instructions:
Use a medium sized saucepan and whisk in 1 tablespoon at a time of corn starch into the cold water. Stir it well, make sure there are no lumps, and cook it on a small fire (stirring continuously) until mixture gets smooth and creamy.
  • diy starch glue
Let it cool off. You can use your glue immediately or store it in the mason jar, in the fridge.

Recipe no.2
Sticky liquid starch.
  • diy starch glue
Great for paper mache and yarn crafts.

Ingredients:
-100ml of water
-1 heaped tablespoon of corn starch or corn flour

Instructions:
In a plastic (or glass) bowl, mix ingredients together. Mix it well, so there are no lumps at the bottom of the bowl. Let your mixture stand for 10 minutes, stir it, and use it straight away. Please note, starchy water gets 'stickier' with time, so use it as fast as you can, if you don't want it to become too slimy. This kind of liquid starch is not too messy and does the job perfectly. There are no glue lumps to spoil your crafts and, as it's not too sticky at first, you can adjust paper or yarn if you mess something up. When using liquid starch, always let your crafts properly dry. The only con to it is, that it takes a long time to dry.
  • diy starch glue
During crafting, you can spread starch using a brush, or you can put it in a spray bottle (remember to shake it real good before use).
I will need starchy glue for my new craft, so please, stay tuned to see what I've made. :)

Happy Crafting!
  • diy starch glue

Suggested materials for this project:

• Corn starch  (grocery store)
  • Water
Mila Myk

Want more details about this project and other DIY projects? Check out my blog post!

Ask a Question
  • Liz
    Liz Saint Peter, MN

My mom always made starch glue to put wallpaper borders over wallpaper. It always held better than just the paste that was on the border, especially in a bathroom.

• Sarah
      Sarah Clarkesville, GA

My Grandmother and I wallpapered panels on an antique wardrobe in 1966 when I was a kid. We used flour, salt and water. The wardrobe still has the same wallpaper on it, and it looks like it will never peel off! The salt keeps bugs away, I guess.