Mila Myk
Mila Myk
  • United Kingdom

DIY Starch Glue

$3

DIY starch glue

2 easy to follow recipes. Cheap and eco-friendly substitutes to store-bought liquid starches and glues.

diy starch glue

If you love crafting with your kids, but you're afraid of harmful ingredients in glues (and you hate the messy aftermath of crafting), you can switch to no-mess & non-toxic homemade glues! They are super easy to make and involve ingredient you probably already have in your pantry.

Recipe no.1

Starch glue.

diy starch glue

2 ingredient starch glue. Homemade, non-toxic glue for crafts. Perfect for crafting with children.

Ingredients:

• 200ml of cold water,
  • 3 tablespoons of corn starch or corn flour (corn starch works better)

Instructions:

Use a medium sized saucepan and whisk in 1 tablespoon at a time of corn starch into the cold water. Stir it well, make sure there are no lumps, and cook it on a small fire (stirring continuously) until mixture gets smooth and creamy.

diy starch glue

Let it cool off. You can use your glue immediately or store it in the mason jar, in the fridge.

Recipe no.2

Sticky liquid starch.

diy starch glue

Great for paper mache and yarn crafts.

Ingredients:

• 100ml of water
  • 1 heaped tablespoon of corn starch or corn flour

Instructions:

In a plastic (or glass) bowl, mix ingredients together. Mix it well, so there are no lumps at the bottom of the bowl. Let your mixture stand for 10 minutes, stir it, and use it straight away. Please note, starchy water gets 'stickier' with time, so use it as fast as you can, if you don't want it to become too slimy. This kind of liquid starch is not too messy and does the job perfectly. There are no glue lumps to spoil your crafts and, as it's not too sticky at first, you can adjust paper or yarn if you mess something up. When using liquid starch, always let your crafts properly dry. The only con to it is, that it takes a long time to dry.

diy starch glue

During crafting, you can spread starch using a brush, or you can put it in a spray bottle (remember to shake it real good before use).

I will need starchy glue for my new craft, so please, stay tuned to see what I've made. :)

Happy Crafting!

diy starch glue

• Corn starch  (grocery store)
  • Water
Mila Myk

• B. Enne

Great share, thanks!
    I always thought corn flour was the UK name for corn starch. What is the difference then? Are you referring to what we call cornmeal?

• Mila Myk

Hi there :)
      Corn flour is thicker than corn starch and thinner than cornmeal. It's something in between.
      Cornstarch works better for crafts, but if you don't have it, corn flour should do :)

• Jewell Martin

Did you mean, in the instructions for the first corn starch glue, to say " add 1 teaspoon of the starch AT A TIME"? I didn't see directions for the rest of the water. I used flour glue as a child. I asked my mother-in-law how her family decided whether to make starch glue, and when to make flour glue. She said, "If we were doing laundry for several families, we had lots of starch, so we made starch glue. If Papa had a good corn crop, when he took it to the mill to be ground into cornmeal, he would trade some for a 50 pound sack of flour, so we could make flour glue. Either one got weevils after awhile, especially if we were gluing newspapers to the wall to keep out the cold."
    Best wishes 😇

• Mila Myk

Thanks, Jewell! That's exactly what I meant. Corrected! That's interesting about weevils! That's the con of using ingredients that are also food, I guess :)

• Joy24832423

Could I use either of these recipes to seal my jigsaw puzzles? I sometimes use Modge Podge.

• Landsharkinnc

hmmm, I've used corn starch 'glue', but it's not water resistant at all --- and it's not even close to 'flexible' like MP -- if you want a truly permanent seal for your puzzles, I'd use the waterproof type of MP

• Liz

Mila, did you know that you can divide the first recipe into small batches after it's made, add a few squirts of craft acrylic paint and it makes a nice finger paint? Store in small jars with tight lids and it will keep for weeks.

• Suzanne

Does it draw pests after it has dried?

• Tum15916572

If it does, they are stuck. Then you just scoop them out. End of story.

• Mila Myk

Peppermint, salt, lavender can help with scaring away pests. You can use essential oils too :)

• Suzanne

Thanks that makes sense

• Doris Simpson

Can this recipe be used to starch clothes before ironing?

• Juli

I just used this the other day as a quick fix to fill a few small nail holes before painting my laundry room.

• Gorky Pal

I agree salt to be added to the corn flour to make the paste
    1. There will be no smell 2) No insects
    very quick and bright idea, thanks a lot,