Copper Bird Wind Chime

$10

Hi, I like to try and make things for around my house and garden using mainly old and scrap materials. This project was made from bits and pieces I had lying around my garage. I don’t throw away anything as I think it will always have a use in the future!
Have a look at the video above to watch how I made this wind chime or have a look at my guide below. The materials needed for this are some sheet copper, an old 7 inch circular saw blade, 7 inches of ½ inch copper pipe, threaded bar, 3 nuts, 2 washers and some electrical wire or strong fishing line.
1.       Firstly I downloaded and printed the outline of a bird from the internet. I used  a swallow but you could have a different bird or even draw your own.  I then transferred it to the sheet copper and cut it out using a tin snips  * TIP Be careful of the sharp edges*
I had an old circular saw blade and decided to use this to mount the birds from. I used an angle grinder to cut the teeth off. *TIP use a paint can to mark the circle and a flap disc to smooth the edges when cut*
I welded two nuts together to form a hook from which to hang the chime. This is then screwed onto the threaded bar, then a washer, the copper pipe, the blade, another washer and finally another nut to lock it all together.
Drill holes into the birds and saw blade to hang the birds from. Strip the insulation from the electrical wire using a utility knife to expose the wire. Use these wire strands to attach the birds to the blade.  *TIP you could use fishing line instead of the wire to hand the birds (its more flexible)*
I purposely didn’t put any finish on the metal as I am hoping in time the copper will gain a nice patina.
And that’s it… the completed copper bird wind chime.  I hope you like it.
If you like this project, I have more to view on my Youtube channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFO-cCV9jr_P5eA3ik5CLcw

• Sheet copper
  • Copper pipe
  • Steel

To see more: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFO-cCV9jr_P5eA3ik5CLcw

1 comment