Eamon Walsh
Eamon Walsh
  • Ireland

Dragonfly

$3

Hi, I like to try and make things for around my house and garden using mainly old and scrap materials. This project was made from bits and pieces I had lying around my garage. I don’t throw away anything as I think it will always have a use in the future!
Have a look at the video above to watch how I made this Dragonfly or have a look at my guide below. The dragonfly part starts at 4 minutes and 33 seconds into the video. I used the leg of an old broken stool and some old copper for this one. I also used  a few copper nails and some white paint.
dragonfly
Firstly I sketched out a wing shapes onto the copper and cut them out using a tin snips.
dragonfly
I then flattened one corner of the stool leg using a block plane to form an area on which to nail the wings.
dragonfly
I decided to cut out some eyes for the dragon fly and left a tab on one end so I could nail through the wing and then through the tab to hold everything together.
dragonfly
I sanded the leg and gave it a coat of white exterior paint. I used white as I thought it would be a good contrast against the old copper which had developed a nice patina from being left out side for a number of years.
dragonfly
And that’s it the finished project! 

I attached a metal spike to the bottom so I could stick it into the ground but it could also be hung from a tree using some strong fishing line.
dragonfly

• Wood
  • Copper
  • Copper nails

To see more: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFO-cCV9jr_P5eA3ik5CLcw

• Lovesunique

Watched the video and now love the butterfly
  • CORINNE

I love repurposing everyday items too! Thank you so much for sharing your ideas! I love the way you recorded the videos too, very entertaining!!!