Dezinefun
Dezinefun
  • Charleston, SC

Oversized Welcome Front Door Sign|No Stencil Needed!

$25

I took this plain piece of wood and created an interesting way to greet my guests!! See below. Super easy and fast.
welcome sign
I got a piece of wood from Lowes 6ft long (72 inches), 1 inch thick and 12 inches wide. This cost me around $12. They didn't need to cut it, I got it right off of the shelf. This wood does not need to be sanded, its already Smooth.
welcome sign
I stained the entire board using General Finishes Gel stain in Java. However, any stain will work for this. I let this dry over night.
welcome sign
I also picked up a piece of 1/4" X2.5"X 12" and I cut it down to 6" using my hand saw to make 2 pieces. I'm going to attach these to either end of the large board.
welcome sign
I stained these pieces using my General Fishes Stain in Java as well. I let this sit over night.
welcome sign
I used Liquid Nails to apply the two 1/4" pieces to the main board.
welcome sign
I measured 1.5 inches from the Botton and from the top of the large board and places attached the 1/4" boards. The tape is optional. I removed it after everything was dry.
welcome sign
While the board was drying, I started painting my letters. I picked up these wood letters from Walmart and painted thew white using chalk paint. They can also be spray painted.
welcome sign
I measured and marked where the letters should go on the board. Each letter is 8 inches and I wanted 1 in between each letter so I measured and marked a line every 9 inches from the top to the bottom of the board. I placed my letter on top of each line.
welcome sign
I added some embellishment with this glitter ribbon I got this on clearance last year after the fall season.
welcome sign
I wrapped and attached the ribbon around the top and Botton of the 1/4" board using hot glue. I used some twine to tie off the center of the ribbon.
welcome sign
I applied a top coat of polyurethane and I must say I love the way it came out.
I love the way this looks at my front door! Now I just need to get busy on the rest of my front door refresh project! lol
welcome sign

• 1" X 12"X72" board  (Lowes)
  • 1/4 X2.5"X12"  (Lowes)
  • Ribbon  (Kirklands)
Dezinefun

• The1215615

Did you use liquid nails to apply the lettering?

• Deborah

Liquid nails was included in the materials used list.
    • Dezinefun

Yes, I used liquid nails for the letters as well.
    • Jewellmartin

@Theorganicfanatic, sometimes several of us think of the same question at the same time, and sometimes there is a short lapse in time before the questions get posted. We don't see our exact question is the same as someone else's until they come up together. No need to be embarrassed or chastised. @Dezinefun answered both questions graciously. I wouldn't have thought about liquid nails. That's in my husband's tool drawer. I have a dozen different glues and adhesives so I would use whichever waterproof glue appealed to me. And I coat almost everything with some kind of sealer when I'm through. I love the welcome sign but mine would be smaller and sit in a flowerpot or something. When it rains, my tiny porch is soaked, including the welcome mats. But I want one of these signs soon! Best wishes 😇
  • The1215615

• Lisa

I put my house numbers out using wooden numbers much like the letters they used. I caulked around them and used one nail on top and one on bottom. My numbers were relatively expensive, like $4 each. I see they left this out of their material list. This project could really add up. Good luck.
    • Linda Sikut

Lisa, Wood letters are the last item on the list. They were not left off.
    • Donna

The wood letters at Walmart are less than $2 each
    • Dezinefun

Yes, I used liquid nails to apply the letters as well. The letters are $1.88 at Walmart.

• Frances Rizo

Thanks for sharing. That’s what I did for Christmas signs. I would thought it will sell very good but it turned out that I got three sitting there. :( I made a JOY and NOEL. They are too cute. I love my wood signs. I will be making a welcome sign in January :)
  • Car Rey

This is the cutest idea ! So you just add a different embellishment for each season. Brilliant!