Cheryl Phan
Cheryl Phan
  • Hometalk Helper
  • West Palm Beach, FL

Nautical TV Tray Makeover

$25

Do you remember these TV trays? Maybe you still have them tucked away in the corner and only use them once in a blue moon. Here’s a fun idea…Turn them into a side table! I'll show how I turned mine into a side table for a nautical-themed bedroom.
nautical tv tray makeover
If you don't have one, they are easy to find at a thrift store... Very Boring and begging for some personality.
nautical tv tray makeover
First, prime the table with a gray Rust-Oleum primer and let it dry. Then spray it with a navy-blue Rust-Oleum satin paint. Let it dry.
nautical tv tray makeover
You’re going to need 4 screw eyes for the corners of the table.  Make a hole with a small pick so you can screw in the screw eyes. I just taped a small hole to get it started.
nautical tv tray makeover
Then I used a screwdriver to turn it until it was screwed in all the way. It was to hard to do with my fingers.
Once you have all 4 screw eyes in, cut a piece of rope long enough to go around the entire table. Make sure each end meets so you can glue it together. Also, make sure the rope fits in the eye of the screw. If you decide to use a thicker rope you will have to by bigger screw eyes.
nautical tv tray makeover
My blog post has a quick video on how I attached the rope. After I glued it I also added some duct tape so it would be more secure. Then I glued the twine around the duct tape to hide the duct tape. Then the last step I glued some more rope around the bottom.
nautical tv tray makeover
How cute is this table? I also made a nautical lamp.
nautical tv tray makeover
And here is the nautical bedroom reveal! We used so many fun coastal items as decor and even painted a compass mural! And this little table is just perfect.

If you love budget-friendly DIY projects, please follow my blog here.

Click on the link below to see more!

Cheryl Phan

• Pandora

Great idea. Did you need to remove the original finish before using the primer. Would you recommend sealing it after painting. Thanks

• Millie Salas Rodriguez

Is it possible, to decoupage a table and maybe use a clear epoxy, to give it a really good shine and if so can someone show how done?

• Liz

I have a pine wardrobe how do I transform it

• Cheryl Phan

What a great idea. I'd love to see it.

• Lisa West

This is really cute. It definitely doeant take days to finish either. Spray paint is the best. Lol. Thank you sharing. This is a wonderful idea to upgrade an item.