Have an Abundance of Tomatoes? Preserve Them by Sun Drying

Sun drying tomatoes is surprisingly simple. The biggest hassle is in keeping the insects away. I use cheesecloth to cover the tomatoes and cover the frames with an additional light garden cloth. Works like a charm. Instructions for Drying frames here too.
Start with fresh ripe tomatoes, firm and unblemished.
Wash tomatoes and pat dry.
Slice a minimum of  1/4 inch thick, Keeping in mind that the thicker the tomato, the longer it will take to dry.
Wash tomatoes and pat dry. Slice a minimum of 1/4 inch thick, Keeping in mind that the thicker the tomato, the longer it will take to dry.
Place on drying frames spacing evenly so tomatoes do not touch
Place frames with sliced tomatoes outside in direct sunlight
Cover lightly with cheese cloth to protect from insects
Place on drying frames spacing evenly so tomatoes do not touch Place frames with sliced tomatoes outside in direct sunlight Cover lightly with cheese cloth to protect from insects
Instructions for how to build a drying frame can be found at http://puregracefarms.com/summer-in-the-pantry/how-to-drying-frame/
Tomatoes when done will be dry and leathery. Be sure tomatoes are completely dry before placing them in an airtight container, otherwise moisture will cause your tomatoes to mold.
Put a few in olive oil for a great addition to pasta or salad dishes, I like to eat them straight out of the jar.
The sun concentrates the sweet goodness of these lovely fruits into one exceptionally tasty bite. I call them natures candy.

Shari@puregrace

• David Kelly

On the storage part, I have few questions.
    Storing in a mason jar with olive oil, got it! But placing them in .... say 1 gallon zip lock bag, can I store them like this in my cupboard pantry? Can I keep them in my freezer?And last , what do you think is the shelf life , in a bag, in the pantry?
    And by the way I love sundries tomatoes just never thought of making them myself. Thank you and may your harvest be abundant 2018.

• Lady Katherine

It been over 20 years now, that I have as grandma would call yard chickens. Proper word today is free range. I hve new lambs here on the farm. So. Cute I just sit and watch them jumping around

• Shari@puregrace

@Lady Katherine Lucky you! Not only chickens but lambs too!