Velvet Armchair Makeover

$30

I had an old Broyhill chair in immaculate Condition that a friend of mine gave to me several months ago. Although it was very dated, it was very sturdy and strong with no rips or stains so it was perfect to redo!
My supplies were inexpensive and easy to find at Michael's or Wal-Mart.. although I do recommend using a short nap, compact brush similar to what you see here.. it does make a difference..
Any textile medium can be used and this one suggests a mixing ratio of two to one, paint to medium.
Spray the fabric with water and just start painting! The first stroke is the hardest!  Start with small sections, with even strokes. Go in one direction, then back over in the opposite. This works best wth velvet because it picks up the nap in all directions and deposits the paint evenly.
This is the first coat.. be sure to take a break, you'll find your arm tiring out otherwise! My shoulder is aching this morning cause I'm a glutton for punishment and continued All Day!
I then let this first coat dry and took a drive to Michael's!!I was looking for brads or something blingish... and I found these on clearance.. there for jewelry but were exactly what i was looking for! I just broke it and glued them to the existing button holes..
After sanding the first dry coat, I then applied another layer, swirling in the paint in the fabric.. then I simply painted the legs a nice silver you match the bling..
VIOLA!! I'm in love! If you sand in between layers.. it should end up feeling like canvas..

3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
12 Christmas Home Tours You're SO Going To Fall For
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
These Amazing Vase Ideas Will Blow Your Guests Away!
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before

• Az

How did you attach the jewelry/buttons

• Jacqui

While your chair looks very nice, I thot it wud b th lovely teal color I saw. Instead, it looks almost black. Did u mean for it to b so?

• Jessie

I think the first pic Seems more accurate to the color..

• Jm011881828

I would love to try this, but I'm very nervous about it! The chair I have is a mauve color which tells you how old it is and I'd like to paint it a cream. I'm concerned with going lighter. What do you think?

• Sue

Looks so beautiful!!Question, when you say you sand it what kind of sandpaper do you use? Any tips when sanding?I've got an ottoman that's is screaming of color!Thanks!

• Jessie

I used 80 grit sandpaper.. good luck !