DIY Dog House

$300

This DIY Dog house is a fun combination of coastal chic meets industrial barn sliding door.
diy dog house
We started by building the base. We wanted the dog house to have a bit of a front porch, so that was important when thinking and measuring out the house frame.
diy dog house
Using a jigsaw, we cut out the holes from the plywood to create a seamless floor.
diy dog house
To save time and hassle, we stained the floor before framing up the house.
diy dog house
We then Framed the house and roof. There are some added braces needed for the barn door and multiple roof panels.
diy dog house
Using bead board paneling, we cut the front and back first. Cutting the door opening was needed before attaching the front panel.
diy dog house
We added a support beam to the roof before adding the roof panels. We used one 12 foot roof panel and cut it into smaller pieces for the roof.
diy dog house
We then added the door hardware along with the door. The door piece is the cut out piece of bead board painted and glued to a larger piece of plywood. We then used a left over piece of paneling to create the "BIRDIE" sign.
diy dog house
Its ready for a dog bed and your favorite four legged friend.
diy dog house
Our favorite part of the back yard.

• Lumber  (Home Depot)
  • Sliding Door Hardware  (National Hardware)
  • Plywood  (Home Depot)
Alli @ Made w/ HAPPY

3 questions on this project

• Sue Sanders
    Aug 11, 2017

We had two large German Shepard guard dogs who stayed outside. No indoor pets, as when we had the Shepards I baked for other people on occasion. I wouldnt want someone baking for me that pet their indoor pets or took care of their food and water nor did the health dept. You cant even scratch your face or head without having to wash your hands when you are a baker. Even when we opened the door the dogs never tried to come in...we tested them one time to see if they would enter if we were in trouble and they wouldnt come indoors.

• Dawn McGuire
    Aug 25, 2017

Cute but I don't believe in dog houses. The dog lives in the house with the owners