Kasey
Kasey
  • San Francisco, CA

DIY Wooden Hanging Pot Rack

$40

When planning a kitchen one of the primary goals is to ensure that there is sufficient storage so that everything can be kept in its own place and the kitchen can function as well as possible. But sometimes kitchens are so tiny there simply isn't enough space to install all the kitchen cabinets and cupboards we’d like.

diy wooden hanging pot rack

Since pots and pans are the bulkiest items most of us use, a pot rack hung from the ceiling is an ideal solution for tiny kitchens. A pot rack like this one not only solves storage problems, it is also a very attractive feature for cottage-style kitchens, and if made on a larger scale than the one shown here, for country- and farmhouse-style kitchens too.

This easy-to-make kitchen pot rack can be made with any type of wood, ideally, the same sort used for your kitchen cabinets. If your cabinets are painted you might want to paint the rack the same color to blend in with your color scheme.

Skills and Tools Required to Make a Pot Rack for Your Kitchen

The kitchen pot rack featured here is relatively simple for anyone with basic carpentry skills to make. The key factor is accuracy, particularly when it comes to drilling the holes for the dowel rods from which the pots and pans will be suspended.

The size of the finished rack is 600 mm x 450 mm (about 2 ft x 1.5 ft) in size. The dowels used are 19 mm or ¾ inch; you just need to be sure that the correct sized wood drill bit is used and that your measurements are precise.

Here is an essential list of tools and other related items:

·        A retractable tape measure and carpenter’s (or actually any) pencil.

·        A combination or carpenter’s square.

·        A saw for cutting the wood. A circular saw and/or jigsaw are ideal but you could also use a hacksaw and do the cutting manually. A hacksaw is the best tool to cut the chain.

·        An electric drill with the right drill bits. A multi-angle drill bit is ideal.

·        A rubber mallet to knock the dowels and side pieces of the rack together. Don't be tempted to use an ordinary hammer as it will probably dent the wood.

·        Sandpaper to smooth edges. You can use an orbital sander or do this by hand.

·        A paintbrush to seal or paint the finished product.

You will also need a suitable surface to work on, preferably a workbench with clamps. A small, fold-up, off-the-shelf portable Black and Decker workbench with built in clamps was used for this project.

Materials Required to Make the Pot Rack

Use any planed wood or medium-density fiberboard and alter the dimensions to meet your needs.

This is simply a starting point:

·        2 x 600 mm x 69 mm (about 2 ft x 2.7 in) x 22 mm (0.8- 0.9 in) wood planed all round (PAR) for the sides. The thickness isn’t vital.

·        6 x 450 mm (18 in) dowels 19 mm (3/4 inch) in diameter.

·        2 m or 6½ ft of brass or other chain.

·        8 x 5 mm or 0.2 in brass screw eyes.

·        Wood glue, wood filler, and wood sealer or paint.

·        As many S-hooks as you need. The ones shown here are chromed and measure 100 mm x 5 mm (about 4 in x 0.2 in). 

diy wooden hanging pot rack

How to Make Your Pot Rack Step-by-Step

1. Start by measuring and marking the wooden dowels to make sure they are all the same length.  

diy wooden hanging pot rack

2. Cut the pieces with a jigsaw or whatever you have chosen to use.

diy wooden hanging pot rack

3. Measure and mark the pieces for the sides of the rack. Use a combination or carpenter’s square for accuracy.

diy wooden hanging pot rack

4. Cut the side pieces using a circular or other type of saw. 

diy wooden hanging pot rack

5. This part requires absolute accuracy. What you need to do is mark the center point of each of the holes you are going to drill to accommodate the dowel rods. So, if the are using metric measurements and following the sizes given here, the first hole will be 25 mm from the end of the piece of wood. The rest will be 110 mm apart with the center of each in between. The last piece will be 25 mm from the other end. If you use imperial measurements you will have to work with fractions of an inch which can be a little more challenging mathematically. 

diy wooden hanging pot rack

6. Now make the holes that will accommodate the ends of the dowels. 

diy wooden hanging pot rack

7. Position the side pieces on the work bench and clamp into place. Squeeze wood glue into the holes and spread inside the holes using your finger or a very small paintbrush. 

diy wooden hanging pot rack

8. Push the dowels into the holes and knock gently with the rubber mallet to ensure each one extends to the outer edge of the side piece. 

diy wooden hanging pot rack

9. Turn the rack over and repeat the process – clamp, glue, and hammer into place.

diy wooden hanging pot rack

10. Now seal or paint the wood. When the sealer or paint has dried thoroughly (overnight) you can drill pilot holes for the screw eyes. These should be about 25 mm from each end, on both sides.

diy wooden hanging pot rack

11. Screw the four eyes into the holes. 

diy wooden hanging pot rack

12. Unless the store cut your chain for you, you will need to divide the chain into four equal lengths. A hack saw will work well for cutting. You will also need to attach the other four screw eyes to a beam in the ceiling. Then hang the rack. 

diy wooden hanging pot rack

To see more: http://www.cabinetnow.com/

• Joan Seal

Love it ...but ,what if there is no anchor in ceiling . How do you use screws in ceiling?
    • Chris Piotrowski

Easy, you use exactly what they show above and be sure when you twist these into the ceiling, you are hitting a stud. Studs are spaced every 16" apart. If you cannot find the stud, use anchors. Anchors, you drill a hole and tap in the anchor.
    • James Eure

Use hooks with collapsible wing nuts, i.e. toggle bolts.
    • Johnny Holland

Home Depot or Lowes has drywall anchors that screw directly into your drywall and hold a weight of 75 pounds. They are white and made of plastic. They work very well and I use them all the time. The good thing is they have a pointed end and with a screwdriver you just screw them into your drywall. If it gets hard to screw in you have probably hit a stud. Stop screwing immediately or you will strip it out and leave a nasty hole in your wall.Just unscrew it and cut the anchor off to approximately 1/2 " and screw it back in and it will be fine.
    • Colin Putman

I understand B&Q sell 'skyhooks'???
  • Flo23615880

I would not put our pans and pots on display. How about a plan for a trapdoor in the floor for ours?
  • Nancy Lee Parsons

They seem very high. Could someone under 5' 4" reach them easily?
    • Ros22511353

I thought it looked really high too. I think you would need a ladder for this. More trouble than it is worth to me.
    • Johnny McGee

Well, logic would say that you could make the chains longer!!1
    • You could just use as long of a chain as you needed.
    • Con22245050

You could probably cut the chains longer to your particular height.
    • Keith Youmans

you could make the chains longer.
    • Candy

I'm only 5'2" and reach mine easily using my granddaughter's folding 1-step booster [so she can reach countertop to help ; )] I keep folded and hidden between the cabinet and frig. It's still high enough not to be a wind chime in my husband's head!
    • Judy

I think this is a GREAT idea! I cannot put it over my stove but I can put it over my sink! And yes people, make it work for you not what's in the picture. Longer chains to fit your needs. But anyone with height restrictions need to remember you have to get a step stool out to reach the top cupboards too right? Don't be so negative.
    • Vdu28547183

So, if it's high to you, cut and use a longer chain. That ought to be an easy adjustment.
    • Ana Hope

I would not hang them lower, if it's above a stove area. Think about cooking splatter/etc.
    • LisaTrimbleLMT

I have a copper one over the opposite counter to the range. It's a great idea to store your pots and pans ...I keep the nice ones outward for show by the way. It helps divide an open floor plan and saves space in my small kitchen. I don't find the need to wash due to grease but as my lids are stored up above (with a fake plant in front camouflaging) a quick rinse to the underutilized ones fixes that. Too small/old for dishwasher btw.
    • Darlene McLemore Hammond

Too high and you would have to wash them before using. So this is not a good example of where it should be hanging. You would need to climb up every time to get one.
    • Juanita S

It is a great idea and maybe not the solution to everyone's problem. However, you can use the idea to do what you need to do in your situation. No one is going to like everything you say or do so take the idea and use it as you need to use it in your life and your situation.

• Tina

Dont most people have a fan and cabinets above their stove?
    • Cif25708021

Yes, I have a good and cabinet across the top.
    • Artemis

I've done some research on this because we're beginning the planning phases of a Kitchen remodel. There is great debate online as to whether you should or should not have a fan. There isn't really anything definitive on either side, just a matter of taste. We have one now but almost never use it, so we've decided to forego the fan when we remodel.
    • Margie

well maybe this person isn't most people and I'm sure you can hang where and how low you want to hang it without criticizing someone who is sharing some inside their home they are proud of- Tina and Cifsoldier.. good for you and maybe look at your comment so it makes sense cadet
    • Yofrendonna

Our stove hood makes a huge difference by pulling the heat out of the kitchen when air conditioning is on. Also great to get rid of cooking odors.

• Coleen

I have a down draft exhaust system on my stove top so there's no hood. There are special lid racks which would take up less of the cupboard space freed up by installing the hanging rack.
    • Dawn Graham Baker

I have a cabinet, microwave and hood above my stove so this wouldn't work for me.
      I love the idea of a hanging pot rack but I have no good place for it.
    • In my younger years I lived in several places set up just like this. Obviously a vintage home and they are making it work for their needs. Overhead exhaust systems came later. Also a matter of personal decorating taste.

• Drt25208996

Well, it looks really nice and helpful for pot storage. However, I have to totally disagree with the time it takes to complete the project and the level of difficulty. For me, it would probably take to days to figure out and finish and looks like a difficult job. What about anchoring the structure to the ceiling? That looks quite challenging by itself. How about retrieving a pot when needed, they are really up there.? I was thinking maybe just find an old ladder and chalk paint it to your liking and put hooks on each side. Also, just an afterthought. What about using an old broom handle with a hook installed in the end of it to "hook" the pots down for use.
  • Ediue

would you not have to wash them before using them because of dust
    • Sunny I

Dust and cooking grease.
    • Lois

Yes. They do get dusty and greasy. I always wash mine before using them. You can also put them in the dishwasher once in a while.
    • Seethebeauty

Maybe they don't have to go directly over the stove. That would solve the grease problem.
    • Oza28401804

YES!
    • Chris OE

I have everything on a pot rack & the things I use every week don't have time to get greasy. Only things I don't use often need washing before use, so if there's something I rarely use it goes back in the cupboard away from the dust. But having things right there to grab makes it easy to cook, so I cook more often. Anything that makes your kitchen work better will get you cooking more often. Declutter, organize, spend wisely, a few pieces in useful sizes is better than a big set of pieces that clutter your space & make cooking a chore because they don't heat up well, collect scratches & dents or all have to be hand washed.
  • Conswelo

Do your pots and pans get greasy when you fry food?
    • Jud12091948

You can always hang it somewhere else instead of over the cooker.
    • Lois

Yes they do get greasy. I put the ones in the dishwasher that can go there and the others I have to wash by hand.
    • Kathleen jaben

They won't get greasy of you are using them to cook regularly. With this set up you will be using them all the time because they are easy to access. Cooking just got a little easier too.
    • Lisa

I don't see any ventilation fan in the kitchen which means grease build up. Cute idea. I keep my pots and pans tucked away to keep them cLean. I don't want to wash them twice.
      IMO
  • Kay K Cardenas

How about buying a baby gate, take it apart? It's already put together
    • Cathy C

I would think that would work as long as it's sound and strong enough. I could also see using part of a crib or even a section of a wooden ladder or if you like the metal look, the side railing from a porch!
    • Kathy

good ideas...reuse something , love your thinking Cathy C
  • Mys21545247

What do you do if your pots and pans don't have holes in the handles to hang from ?????
    • Lynne Hodges

U find another solution
    • Oscarj

Well you had a drill to start with?
    • Larry

But some and give the others the boot or have a garage sale and sell them, then you would have a little money to buy new ones.
    • Regina

Never had a pot or pan without either a hole or a hanger on it.
    • Dl.5660408

Very nice! I was wondering if you have a standard 8ft. Ceiling or a taller one?
    • Marilyn Howell

use longer chain from the ceiling.
    • Lucia Bartoli

The one pictured would require a ladder to reach.
    • Bpb3094252

Ditto L Hodges!!
    • Eroque022810

Then maybe add shelves in that area! Not everything posted on this site will help every single person in this world,it's an option so don't use it and look for an other solution.
  • Jo Jo

i don't see a vent (hood).?
    • Rose Marie Kromer

Most likely a Jenn Aire range or similar. I have one, it's a down draft vent.
    • Melissa Perry

Not everyone is blessed to have a vent hood. You can hang it anywhere you have the space. My very first house had been a 4 room rental house - $60.00 a month - gift from my father-in-law. No vent hood there. We didn't stay there but 3 years, didn't have the money to fix it up, but we paid it off and sold it and used the money to buy another house. I would have added this neat rack above the stove because I received a wedding present of stainless steel cookware & being tall 5'9" wouldn't have had any trouble reaching the hanging cookware. Could have hung it over the sink or the room bar divider. I've seen some designed so you can raise it or lower it. So being in reach is just a matter of lengthening the chain. I promise you the it won't hurt the cookware. Hanging 3-4 ft above the stove isn't going to hurt them if sitting on the eye of the stove doesn't. I cooked a lot so they got washed daily.
    • Mar20825882

My pot rack hangs over the island counter. It's just a quick turn to get them down. The pans don't greasy or dusty, but the rack itself needs dusting routinely.
    • The Trans Am Ranch

You honestly do not have to have a vent hood. My vent hood went out on me years ago. I kept putting off getting it fixed simply because I was just too busy. I realized that I could see no difference in having one verses not having one so now its just a decorative piece over my stove. I see no point in having it replaced.
  • Teresa

Lids.
    What about the lids?
    • Debby Hideher

In a wooden box inside the cupboard.

• Deanna Best Green

Plant on off edge of cabinet. Making me crazy lol
    • Mar24787706

put the lids in the top of the rack or you can hang them on hooks
    • Robyn Williams

Put more hooks on to take the pot lids as well

• Chris

some of my pot lids do not have holes in them, so still leaves issue. also, if rack is up high, why would you put it above rack so you couldn't reach them??
    • Nanna Babies

Ben the hooks over the wooden rods so then they won't fall off when you get your pans
  • Lor19400008

good storage idea, but what about how dirt they get hanging above de stove?
    • Ran22549902

Girl what you be frying up to get those pots that dirty? I would have even liked to see it a little lower, even mounted to the side cabinets like it was built in. Lay the lids on top? Paint it to match the cabinets or the stove.
      Maybe even a neat shelf above the stove to match and display decorative kitchen things? All that being said, great execution on the construction!
    • Bar4439569

Beside collecting grease and grime they will also get very hot to the touch. If you do this handle with (kid) oven mits.
    • Nadine Hartman Bourne

If you cook often enough they will get washed often and won't get dirty.

• Leishaunc

oh, they will get greasy and dirty. That's the nature of air flow in a home/apt., not to mention if it's hanging above a stove. But, yep, you can wash.
    • Lynn Murphy-Picker

I think due to the fact that they will be used on a daily basis, the pots will not have a chance to get greasy & dirty. Heat should not be an issue either since they are hanging way above the stove. I am amazed at some of the comments. This is an excellent way to free up cabinet space and still be extremely handy to use.
    • Phyllis Williams

Lynn I'm also amazed at some comments. What are we ? 15 and keeping house! Lol they won't get greaser than the wall behind stove.
    • Jacx

Thats not quite true, the grease rises, bad placement. Great idea! I had my rack on a wall, worked great, practical. My make this one for over my breakfast bar. Have had 4 of these and never used a one! I usually put a bookcase under the lip.
  • Jackie Lynnley

My first thought was the hooks flying off and hitting the stove when you remove the pots. That is not going to happen? What to do if so?
    • Carolyn Smith

I suggest hanging it somewhere else in the kitchen. Hooks do come off and anything above the stove will get grimy. Most kitchens have a hood above the stove.
    • Judy

There are several hook options available that do not come off.

• Dea6657833

Not to mention you will need a ladder to get the dirty pots. It's a grea idea, just in the wrong place. Anyway who uses all those pots at the same time..
    • Valerie

I agree tha right over the stove is not a good place to hang pots and pans. So much grease ends up on the surrounding areas after awhile (overhead fan cover, stove back, stove surface, etc. ) Unless you constantly use all your equipment consistently, some pieces will get that coating of grease we all know and hate. (Think top of range cover and how it gets sticky with grease if you don't scrub it often....ughh.) Cleaning off the stove is not hard but who remembers the darn range hood until it's too late?

• Ale27224794

I used to clean houses, and when that layer of grease has been on the range hood long enough, it'll take the finish off when you finally do find time to clean it.
    • Monica Ragan Green

I have mine over my sink and they still get dusty. And if you don't wash your pants good before you hang them, they will be gooey and attract more dust. I have stainless pots and pans, I never wait to wash mine later. I wash just as soon as I am finished cooking. I have had mine for 2 years and they look like they did when I took them out of the box. If this isn't a good idea for you than you don't have to do this project.

• Linda Thielges

This will work but I will hang it away from the stove. Where did you find the hooks? I have some but can't locate more. They work like a charm as long as the hole on pan handle is large enough to get off and on I am a former restaurant cook so I have lots of pans to hang because they take up so much cupboard space. Linda
  • Teresa

What is suggested when you have no wall space and a suspended ceiling?
    • Renee

You sound like me. So I guess we're out for this one. Lol
    • C

Remove the panel from the suspended ceiling, and place the eye screw in a substantial location. Run the chain through a small hole in the panel you removed...and replaced. Seal the hole in the insulated panel with a material appropriate for your particular location.
    • Michelle Lynes

I put screws thru the side of my cabinet with a board on the backside and hung my pots inside my cabinet. Then I store my cupcake pans on the bottom free space.

• Ayd28633789

I have a divider between my kitchen and dining area. Overhead I put some hooks, and suspend chains from the hooks. I have pots randomly hung on the chains as a sort of room divider.

• Michelle Healy McMurray

How about the lids? Any ideas?
    • Tim

On the inside of the cupboard doors, I stick plastic hooks and hang the lids from these. Works very well if the lids have a handle, if the lids have a knob, you'd have to find a stick on system that would cope with the knobs - ask someone at your local hardware store!
    • Fran

I use a curtain wire inside cupboard door with the little hooks screwed into door and put the eyes in each end of wire.cut the a little shorter than you think you need as it's stretchy. just pop lids inside wire n they hold them nice and tight.
    • Kathleen Schrader

slide the lids over the handles of the pots before you hang them if able. Otherwise set the lids on the top of the rack (shelf) above the pots.
    • Valerie

What is curtain wire? Thanks
    • Cathy Richardson

I use a dish rack in the bottom cupboard. Stand my pot lids in there and it keeps them organized.
    • Sheryll S

I don't want chains, but have a vaulted ceiling. I want to make an open box to cover my overhead florescent light box and then use hardware cloth instead of those plastic covers, then my pots to hang from that....make sense? I am mathematically challenged and can't figure out the angle of difference in depth of boards. ????

• Michelle Lynes

I put hooks in the top of my lower cabinet and hung the lids with handles from them.

• Kathy Grassley

Some lids have open loops for handles that can be slipped over the handles of the pots and hung together.

• Pippa Pendrill

Towel rails are handy for storing lids. You can either attach them to the inside of your cupboard doors, or put them on the wall above the hotplates. The distance between the outer part of the rail and the wall/door is just right for 90% of pot and pan lids.

• Christine Wilson

My hubby made one for me years ago. We put the same hooks on the large side rail and hook the handles through the hooks.

• Sunny

Love this, but I am with the others with a drop ceiling. Did you also make the utensil holder in the wall? Love that too. I have a very small kitchen.

• Kauai Breeze

Behind your suspended ceiling you will find rafters or a solid ceiling. You can use heavy wire rope to pass through a small hole in the suspended ceiling and attach firmly to the rafters or ceiling. I would glue a 1/2 inch metal or plastic grommet or sleeve into the ceiling tile, where the wire goes through, to prevent it from cutting into the soft tile if it moves.

• Fre13371260

Dont the pots get greasy when cooking?

• I guess if the pots are used regularly the grease will not be a problem

• Paticia G

yes as well as the pot hanger itself a real nuisance

• Donna Allen

I grew up in a house with pots hung over the stove. The ones less

used were filthy and disgusting - coated in grease.

• Earnestine

Don’t want to deal with the grease!

• Sheros

This would work great over an island In the middle of the kitchen, otherwise you are always washing them.

• Sherran burnett

How do you reach them? Looks a little high above the stove.

• Necee Marie

I’m sure he figured that out

• Carmela McCaugherty

Guess u need a step stool or ladder lol

• Constance Petitt

I have a stool in my kitchen, already, to get things out of my high cabinets. I already have a pot rack and am remodeling my kitchen, with my pot rack being the most important thing to design around. I love having everything so handy and am able to pick the right size pot for the job.

• Alisa Howard

Make it hang lower.

• Mary Lou Berry Johnson

That is what I was thinking. Also most kitchens either have an exhaust hood or microwave there.

• May

use a step-stool or a tall husband to reach whoever is most available

• James w barker

What if you have a large family and more than 4 or 5 pots.

• James w barker

concept is great. Many useful adaptations possible.

• Alisa Howard

Make it larger/longer.

• TxCruiseLady

If you intend to increase the size, you must consider the increased weight !

The mounting screws and chain must be able to bear the additional weight.

I did this in my kitchen 20 years ago and it is great. I did increase the size

as my kitchen is large. It is mounted over the center work island in the kitchen.

Susan Reeves

• Nancy

If you have more pots, at least you’ve made some room.

• Sandi McCarthy

Create a bigger circle pot hanger and hang it in the center ceiling in your kitchen. A friend of mine found an old wagon wheel and transformed it into one of these. Its beautiful and believe it or not, not very heavy at all. He mounted it quite well also. He found one of the room support beams and installed it there.

• MaxMax

Looks nice, but where is the range hood?

• Alisa Howard

Not every kitchen has/needs a range hood.

• Dana Marshall Postil

BUT, every working kitchen has grease and other condensation that would accumulate above the stove. The rack is a good idea but not above the stove.

• Lynne Nichols Kinney

I have never seen or heard of a kitchen without a range hood. I do love the project b

• Kathleen Basiewicz

If you put the pot rack above the range and there is no way of drawing the condensation and grease away, the pots will be catching all of the mess you will have to be constantly cleaning them. Not a great place to put a good idea.

• Nadine Hartman Bourne

It could be a down draft stove. my cousin has one in the middle of her kitchen on an island. I'd never seen one until then. It has vents that suck down and out hers is on a second story.

• Ekr22588504

My sister in law had pots hanging above range, but they caught grease from cooking. She took down,

• Rosy

We rented a house that was built in 1926 was original back then they didnt have range hoods. Yes every thing got greasy and dirty. Was so glad when we moved. Lol

• Sandi McCarthy

I don't have a range hood. I rent though.

• Audrey Arnett

Don’t your pots get a little greasy from the stem and collect dust?

• Dorothy

Not a good idea they would get all steamed up and greasy and also dusty . Some pits could make your kitchen look kinky also

• Reenaroc

Not everyone cooks regularly, or cooks greasy things. They are hung pretty far up and if these are the pans she uses a lot , they will be washed frequently. Also some ranges have built it vent systems that would take care of steam etc. This range looks to be electric. My electric range seemed to stay cleaner then my gas one does. As far as the dust... I guess it's a trade off. More room in cupboards would be worth it to me.

• Jim Baird

I have had my pots and skillets hanging over my stove for 40 years and haven't experienced any of those problems. That being said, I cook meals three times a day, with rare exceptions, so my cookware is consistently used and cleaned.

• Barbara

Lol, you are so funny. I just love your honesty Audrey! Ya know sometimes the ole dishwasher works wonders when I'm tired of looking at something I haven't used in a while, but just don't want to part with. Then my favorite restaurant signed up for home deliveries. My kitchen is so busy...nothing has time to stick. You made my day!!

• Emmawilliams1

What is the cost?

• Nancy Ritchie

Well, I too am a female senior citizen. I plan on making one as soon as my wrist surgery heals. I drive a semi, I have power tools and I have male friends (If I Need some help). Just because I am a "vintage" woman doesn't mean I have to slow down. Take Heart Helen Elizabeth, you can do anything, you just can't do everything. How about hanging it over the sink?

• Grandma

Well I'm 87 but young at heart, just slightly older in other places.

Grandma

• Grandma

PS I'm an ex assistant horse trainer and still play pickleball at Senior Center where I also volunteer.

Grandma

• Glennis Roseberry

Love the idea of over the sink! And maybe a little closer to the ground... I'd need a step ladder to reach this one!

• Susie

I've seen something similar hung over an island/work area... That one had a light and place to hang pots around the outside...

• Kelly Turner

Where did you get that stove? I’ve been looking for one like that (solid elements) for years! I had one years ago & sold it with the house- biggest mistake of my life. I loved that stove.

• Nancy Spencer Carlson

Nice work.

The thing I have never understood is the use of S-hooks. Don't they wobble around when you're trying to hand and take the pan off the hooks??

Of course, it's unlikely I'll ever have to worry about such a problem, since I barely cook, and have enough storage in the cabinet.

• Gregg Reiter

What did you do with the covers?

• Christie Malone

I’m only 5’2”.... how do you reach them?? Good idea!

• Judy Morphis

Just hang it a little bit lower

• Julie

Get a step ladder

• Janeen

adjust your chains accordingly! Or use a step stool.

• Linda Parker Anderson

I’m 5’9” and I don’t think I could reach that! Key is to balance easy access and still be out of the way..

• Louise Gothard

My sister used to have a hanging pot rack. I could just reach the bottom lip of the pans (I’m the shorter one by about 3”). If I do this, I will hang them a little lower.

• Dora Hernandez

U can prob use 2 hooks or extenders? Im also 5'0😂😂

• Lbr14263305

What do you do when your house is over 40 years old and a ranch at that!!! NO SPACE FOR THE SPACE SAVER!

• Gail Rich Casparian Rolfe

Don't the pots get greasy hanging over the stove? And yes so you have an organizational way of keeping the lids?

• Denise Therriault

Most lids fit right on the pot and will not fall out.

• Lori

You don’t have to hang over the stove! I’m sure the photo is only a picture to show you what it looks like completed. You can use a hand made lid holder or keep lids in the bottom drawer of your oven.

• Nina Mcrae

The lids normally go on top of the rails where you can also store pits that have no handles or roaster pans. Anything with rings or holes in handle can be hung using S hooks.

• Brenda

They aren't gonna get greasy that high up & You put the lids on top of the rack.

• Shirley Arnold Jenkins

The only pans I have are the red copper pans, just the skillet has a long handle what do you suggest when you have all size pans that have the “knob” handles?

• Nina Mcrae

Hang them over the top of the unit, on top of the rungs. Or if your brave drill a hole in the handle and then use the S hooks to hang them from The rails.

• Sandi McCarthy

Are the knobs on your pans wooden ones? If so, you might be able to screw eye hooks into them so you'd then be able to use "S" hooks to hang them. You will probably need to experiment with different size "S" hooks in order to get them to hang over the dowel.

Its just a thought.

• Carol Rutledge

I am also very short and I think this is a very great idea; however have you or anyone else made one on a pulley system so we could raise it up and back down with out having to get a step ladder?

• Judy Gorton

Why not just use a ladder? Seems easier

• Mary Hirlinger

Also more dangerous !!

• Dolly Carter

Not it your in your 70's AND short.

• Pramila

One has to find room for storing a ladder in the kitchen too.Apart from it being dangerous if you are in your seventies, there is also the problem of bringing the ladder over to the spot each time you want a pan. The pulley idea seems a good one,though it's not a new one.

• Anne

My pots/pans don’t have holes in the handles. Aside from drilling holes what would you suggest?

• Connie

Use a piece of strong twine or jute, something strong & knot one end well then wrap around end of pot handles & loop thru so slip knotted on handles, hang by twine off of S rings hung on rack.

• Lyn Peterson Marshall

Sounds good, but maybe not if one uses gas to cook with?

• Mikkigirl

My concern with using twine is that it catches on fire!

• Ethel

Instead you could make it a shelf and use a pulley system to lower the pots. You could have a lower shelf or side section for tops. I'd relocate it from over the stove.

• Char Sorensen Curtis

An excuse for buying new(??) I don't know. Mine don't either

• Colin

Loop heavy black rubber bands.

• Mary

Slip knot I guess. My cast iron skillet would give you a concussion.

• Norma

How and where do they store the covers? I have that problem with all my corning ware covers.

• Jeanne Martin

I've seen lots of projects here about storing pot lids. Just search Hometalk and you should get lots of ideas.

• Susan Sutton

Go to local thrift store. I found an wired open slots that almost resembles a drying rack. I store my cookie sheets and cutting boards with it. If u want a picture let me know

• Lora

Place the life & such on top of the rack.

• Denise

wouldn't they get greasy from the cooking ?

• Carol

That was my exact thought.

• Yvonne Procter

Mine too! x

• Josie

That's exactly what I was going to ask.

• Tina

Maybe hang over sink instead of stove

• Mary

I would think so. But not only that, I would have to buy new pots and pans to hang up. My stuff was green and now everything is torched.

• Melanie Shearman

I think they would if the were hanged near the stove. I’d probably wipe them down before each use.