What are the best spray painting techniques?

SharonMike RamseyFlipturn
+4

• Sue Lilly
    Sue Lilly

start with a light coat let it dry before 2&3 rd coats. Little and often.
  • Claire Amirault
    Claire Amirault

sue is right. Follow instructions, they are important. Spray lightly the first time, and then you will probably need one, two, or even three more coats. Patience is your friend with this.
  • Tammy
    Tammy

Hi Mike, I am a spray paint fanatic, I love the stuff! There is no better way to instantly and easily change the look of something. Here are some of the tips I can give you: pick a day that the humidity isn't real high, clean whatever your painting well (I always use TSP ), shake the can well before and while you're painting, spray light even coats to avoid runs, and paint in a well ventilated space butt preferably out of the wind. Have fun with it!
  • Sharon
    Sharon

For what surface, and using what spray i.e. can or sprayer? what kind of sprayer?
  • Flipturn
    Flipturn

Spray slowly and evenly in more of a curvy W shape, rather than aggressively back-and-forth. Avoid spraying over any area with paint on already (it will dry at a different rate, and probably give a darker color, making the job splotchy).

Once you start spraying, try to complete a whole section without stopping,rather than stopping and starting. If you can afford to use the little extra paint, it is best to over-spray the edges of the item you are painting, rather than stopping when the paint gets almost to the edges. Over-spraying the edges will reduce the chance of having glumps of thick paint at the edges.
  • Mike Ramsey
    Mike Ramsey

On a rusty metal bullbar for my truck. I'm going to grind, clean, and prime but I haven't had much success with spray paint in the past. I thought about buying a powder coat sprayer, but if I can't get results with spray paint, why would I with powder.

Do spray paint can gun triggers make it any easier?

Thanks to all for the tips,

Mike
  • Sharon
    Sharon

Yes triggers make it easier in my opinion. One other tip, when you stop painting between coats, turn can upside down and spray till clear air comes out. Prevents tip from clogging. These people make fine auto paint, and can even match older cars paint color.... http://www.automotivetouchup.com/spray_paint.asp?A=437&SubAffiliateID=S_Www.automotivetouchup.com_e