How do you repair damaged sheetrock after removing wallpaper?

+13
After removing 3 layers (!) of wallpaper, the sheet rock is badly damaged. I want to PAINT the room and have a smooth finish. Do I seal the wall with KILZ and THEN start the Joint Compound skimming, or just put Joint Compound on the sheet rock to try to get the smooth finish I need?

• Taylor.kimberly001 Taylor.kimberly001 on Jul 24, 2017
    Hello. You can do a thin layer of Joint Compound on the walls where you removed the wallpaper. You have to make sure that you use a thin layer so you don't have to sand as much after it dries. This will give you the nice smooth finish that you desire. I hope this helps. Have a good D.I.Ying!!
  • Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Jul 24, 2017
    I would try smoothing it out first before painting anything on it.
  • A A on Jul 24, 2017
    skimcoat and sand until it is smooth. Kilz would come after.
  • B. Enne B. Enne on Jul 24, 2017
    I just saw this yesterday, it is available at HD in Canada, eventhough it says in the video, that you can't buy it in Big Box stores:
  • Mar20825882 Mar20825882 on Jul 24, 2017
    Buy or rent a textirizer gun then paint when it's dry. Or wallpaper on the paintable texturized wallpaper. Kinda depends on time , size and how many kids you are watching while you do it. Good luck.
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Jul 24, 2017
    Use joint compound first making sure the coats are not thick and dried in-between.Once finished sand until the wall are smooth,clean and then apply the Kilz primer.
  • B. Enne B. Enne on Jul 24, 2017
    See the video above. You apply the selaer first, then the joint compound. You should prime it afterwards to seal the new mud.
  • Artist 53 Artist 53 on Jul 24, 2017
    Thank you. I really do appreciate this so much! May I never see wallpaper again in my life!
  • Taylor.kimberly001 Taylor.kimberly001 on Jul 25, 2017
    It was no problem. I had to do it last year and I just "loved every minute of it" NOT!! BE HANG IN THERE.. after you finish you will be so happy that you did. Enjoy D.I.Ying!!
    • Artist 53 Artist 53 on Jul 25, 2017
      Hahahaha!! AMEN! I had to laugh out loud! A POX on the inventor of wallpaper!! Thank you for making me laugh! I hope to finish this monster soon!
  • Taylor.kimberly001 Taylor.kimberly001 on Jul 26, 2017
    It's been a year since I re-surfaced the walls from a beautiful powder blue with pink flowers all over the bathroom. I promise everytime I go into the bathroom I am truly thankful that I went thru the worst taking the pretty flowers down. Suggestion: just do a bit at a time so it doesn't feel over whelping all at once. That's what I did to get over the "pink flowers". Have a good D.I.Ying!!