Do I need to remove baseboards before installing carpet?

JaniceJudi SobolFiddledd224
+8

• Peg
    Peg

Not necessarily. It depends on the type of baseboards you have.
  • Peg
    Peg

It depends on what type of baseboards you have.
  • Peg
    Peg

Sorry for the double post..my first post disappeared so I redid it.
  • A
    A

No always. It depends on the pile height of your new carpet and how high your baseboards are. Often, a quarter round piece of molding can be run along the bottom of the baseboard to finish it off.
  • Taylor.kimberly001
    Taylor.kimberly001

Hello. I would suggest that you remove the baseboards but you put down any flooring. The reason for this is the baseboards gives the finishing touch on the flooring. Plus it adds the covering the gap between the flooring and the bottom of the wall (sheet rock). I hope this helps. Have a good D.I.Ying!!
  • B. Enne
    B. Enne

You don't have to, but it looks better in the end, and helps it last longer in my opinion.
    William

NO!!! Never!!! Baseboards do not need to be removed. The tack strip is nailed around the perimeter of the room right along side the base board. The carpet is attached to the tack strip , stretched, and cut along the tack strip. Then the cuts are tucked between the tack strip and baseboard for a finished look with a putty knife.
  • Fiddledd224
    Fiddledd224

No. But if they need to be painted, do this before the carpet comes so there is no mess.
  • Judi Sobol
    Judi Sobol

I recently put in new carpeting and did not remove any baseboards, however, some must be replaced when we start painting.
  • Janice
    Janice

Not necessary at all unless you want to change the height of the base boards or if some of the ones you have are damaged and need repaired. A nice fresh coat of paint should suffice before the carpet is laid.