My DIY Summer Cloche

$10

Hey, friends! So I wanted to post this a while ago but this summer has been just flying by!! It always does thought doesn’t it?
I have had a thing for cloches for a while now and I have always wanted to incorporate one into my decor. I was at my favorite antique market the other day (you know the one that I always get all my best treasures from and I just so happen to score this adorable little glass
my diy summer cloche
After taking it home, I had to decide what I wanted to put inside of it.
If you aren’t familiar with a cloche it is a small translucent cover for protecting your stuff.
I just love the idea of decorating with bird eggs so I headed out to the craft store to get some. Imagine my dismay when I found out that decorative bird eggs were going to cost me a small fortune… OK, so they weren’t overly expensive but they were a little more pricey than I thought a Styrofoam egg should be.
I had this bag of clay that I had bought a while ago at the dollar store and I thought, why not just make my own eggs.
my diy summer cloche
Here’s how I made my eggs.
All I did was take my clay and roll it using my fingers into an egg like shape. I didn’t care if all the eggs were exactly the same shape and size because I thought it would look a little more natural if they were all different.
my diy summer cloche
I left the clay to harden over night and then they next day, I grabbed some Robin’s Egg Blue acrylic craft paint.

my diy summer cloche
I painted all of my eggs and then let them dry.

Once the eggs had dried it was time to speckle them! This is the fun part.
I mixed together some black and tan acrylic paint. This was just to get a more natural looking color. I didn’t want a stark black for my speckles.
my diy summer cloche
The most fun and easiest way to do the speckles so that they look really natural is to do this flicking technique. I actually learnt this from one of those paint night things that I did with some ladies from work.
Except we were making stars not speckles, but it worked really well for this, too!
You just simply dip your paint brush in a bit of water. You don’t want it soaking just a little damp, then dip your brush in your paint and then using your hand, flick the bristles towards your clay eggs.
my diy summer cloche
Make sure that you do this is in a clear area. The paint flicks everywhere.
I started out with a small brush and then ended up switching to a larger one cause I was getting better flicks — if that makes any sense.
my diy summer cloche
I did a couple of larger speckles by hand as well.

my diy summer cloche
Doesn’t it look sooo real!!??
After my eggs had dried it was time to arrange them under my cloche.
I set some log slices on a glass plate, some faux moss and arranged my eggs on top
my diy summer cloche
Now I have an adorable piece of decor for my table!
What do you think?
my diy summer cloche
Best part is I can switch out what’s inside of my cloche based on the season! I am already thinking about what I am going to do for Fall!
my diy summer cloche
 If you like this decor idea make sure you Pin it!!

my diy summer cloche
Holly Grace

• Petra Ritchie

Would sprinkling pepper on the egg before the paint dries work?
    Petra

• 16999903

I love it! Something like this would be adorable in a fairy garden outside with real moss, any color for a bit more whimsy. The community I live in has a lot of smooth river rocks of all sizes so I would probably use those for my eggs....and also a great craft project to do with my grandsons.

I do love the blue robins eggs for the inside decor. I also use a toothbrush for sprinkles and flecks. The water idea is also great to give a more realistic appearance with various shading.

Two thumbs up from me!!

• Landsharkinnc

why not just use real egg shells ? they're easy to 'blow' and a good sealer protects them from cracking/breaking -- I use a syringe to put poly inside ( it's thinner than modpodge ) and roll the egg around to spread it; do several times, then spray the outside; paint/decorate however you want with acrylic paint, and poly again.

• Susann Campbell

I have done this with just white glue and a bit of water and I do this again after I paint with acrylic to make it shine more. Then give a bit of spay clear acrylic. That way if they last win storage when the season is over. And great for gifts.

• Emily

Isn't your cloche a cake saver?

• 16999903

I agree, it definitely was not made for a cloche! But that's the fun of creating things for a different purpose. Thinking outside the "butter dish"!