DIY SHIPLAP WALL FOR $50!

$49

Being a military family and first time homeowners, we wanted to do something amazing for our small living room space. Instead of going the route of painting a wall a bold color - we decided to go with my love for all things farmhouse inspired - a shiplap wall!
If you're anything like me, you want to have stylish things for your home - but on a budget! As first time homeowners, my husband and I wanted a statement wall in our home, but didn't want to go overboard with a bold color. Instead, we decided on a shiplap wall!

Some of the things we used was....well, wood, first of all. Our local Home Depot helped us pick out the right wood for our project and cut it, in store, for free! Before that, we measured the wall so that we knew how many inches wide we needed each of the planks and how long they should all be, too.
Once we got home, we realized we needed to trim an inch or so off of each end for the pieces of wood to line up, correctly, so we used our measuring tape to do this as well as a small saw, since we are just starting out on our homeownership journey and didn't have 'big tools' at that time. After we did this, we sanded the pieces of wood and got to work!
Next, my husband went to town and started to nail the planks of wood, one by one, to our wall. I know this seems unconventional - but we loved the idea of doing it this way, and not how everyone else seemingly does it.
Once we were all through with this - we enjoyed the "regular wood look" for a year, and FINALLY made the decision to paint it white a few weeks ago. To say we're in love with it now is an understatement. The best part? Every thing was a total of $49 to do, which was a steal for us! We love the way this statement wall is warm and inviting, through and through!

DIY SHIPLAP WALL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3Cmzv76agA&t=11s

DIY SHIPLAP WALL/PAINTING: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDUXA2CDC1Q&t=1s

• Wood  (home depot)
  • Sandpaper  (home depot)
  • [small] handsaw  (home depot)

21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
Everything Red For Canada Day
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great

• Susan

I have been dying to do this on a wall in my house! What kind of wood did you buy that was so cheap?

• Susan Downey

We used 1/4 plywood underlayment cuz it’s smooth. It worked great.

• Janet

What kind of wood did you use from Home Depot?

• Bronxgirlcl

What kind of wood was used ? Do you need a special saw to cut these and can you glue this up instead of nailing?

• Rebecca Platt

I went back a few months later and spoke to someone else and he cut some boards for me-no problem. Think the first guy just didn't want to work!!!!

• Charlotte Prescott Ruland

A lot of them don't want to work! I did this same shiplap a few years ago for an entire bedroom and the guy at Lowe's ended up cutting several sheets at once. We ended up with a lot of uneven cuts! I made it work, but definitely wasn't happy about it. It cost us a couple hundred dollars since we did a whole room.

We are about to do our huge living room now and decided to buy a table saw and cut it ourselves.

• Rebecca Platt

I went back and they were at least willing to cut to 12” sections but no smaller. grrr