Boarder along front porch-Any ideas?

+4
I want to dress up the border around my front porch and down beside the house I don't know what the best medium would be. I originally thought about volcano rocks but they are not readily available in my area. I thought about pea gravel. Now I am down to mulch. Any ideas?

• Options are unlimited. I used brick and mulch to tie prior hardscaping together. Here are a couple links to get you started. I would poke around on Pinterest, here on Hometalk or just Google. Plus I would visit any local (real) builders supply places and stoneyards to see what they may have to offer that you may not even know about. Good luck and have fun!

• FL FL on Jul 24, 2017
    It depends on the style of your house. For a cozy cottage or farmhouse, maybe big stones or rocks as a border, filled with mulch. For something more formal, maybe bricks lined up with mulch filling in the area. Either way it will be a crisp, clean look. Good luck!
  • Jan Clark Jan Clark on Jul 24, 2017
    Your choice, like Ficher suggested, needs to tie into the structure of your house in some way. Color, texture, simplicity - whatever. That alone will make it 'dressy.' Whatever you use, make sure you measure first and get the amount you need. Also, if you don't want weeds or grass creeping in, prepare the area first with a physical or chemical block.
  • Karen V Karen V on Jul 24, 2017
    I used black mulch and trimmed with light gray rocks. I think they were labeled as 'drainage rock'? They are not large; you can hold 3 or 4 in your hand.
    Good luck!
  • Tallahassee Girl Tallahassee Girl on Jul 25, 2017
    Thanks to everyone for your help. I think I will go with the pea gravel. Peace be unto you.
    Thank you, Karen, drainage rock or pea gravel is the direction that I am leaning. Peace.