Bye Bye-Fold Doors! Shiplap Inspired Closet Door Makeover.

$25

When your budget gets changed because your husband thinks a new floor is more important than sliding barn doors you get creative with what you have.

I’m not going to talk bad about these louvered bi-fold doors, since there are lots still in use. It’s not that they are ugly but good grief they are a pain to clean and didn’t fit my new farmhouse inspired Prayer/Workout room.

How I made my closet doors fit “my style”.

Tools: Chop saw, tape measure and hot glue gun (don't skimp, the cheap ones don't last).

Supplies: Dated bi-fold doors, V-groove pine boards (Lowes), lots of glue sticks, caulk and your favorite Paints color.

Measure the slat opening, from left to right and cut your pine board to fit. Start at the bottom, tongue side up. Apply hot glue on any surface the first board will touch and hold into place for about 15 seconds. Then apply glue to the first boards tongue and on the next few slats. Then slide the groove side onto the tongue of the first board and press down for 15 seconds. Repeat until your doors are covered. (see short video)

Use caulk to fill in any gaps around the edges and prep for paint.

I used:

Shabby Paints Snow White over the pine slats to match the rest of the door then painted everything Licorice (black) then distressed.

Add your favorite hardware and enjoy your beautiful work.

Happy Happy Happy

Bye Old Closet Doors.

Cut boards to cover Louvers.

Painted Pine boards White to match the rest of the door.

Painted Licorice (Black) then distressed.

Farmhouse Style closet doors.

15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now

To see more: https://www.shabbypaints.com/bye-bye-fold-doors-shiplap-inspired-closet-door-makeover/

• Patricia Parker

My bi-fold doors are metal. Do you think it would work on those?

• Erica Smith

That Gorilla is THE BEST and the commercial doesn't lie either. You can always add some E6000 along with the Gorilla Glue sticks and it will be pretty much permanent btwn the 2. I making a glue line and E6000 line next to each other and the glue holds while the E6000 will cure overnight- 24hrs. Good luck

• Kristin Hendricks Morgan

What did you distress them with and did you seal the doors with anything when the painting and distressing were complete?

• Kim

Yes, Shabby Paints... that’s part of one of the best things about DIY...using what you’ve got. How wonderful it is to create something from things on hand without having to break the bank every time. #creativebursts. Thank you for sharing. I am inspired.

• Betty Sutton Smith

Could you just buy a sheet of luber to fit the whole sides of the doors then paint them the color of your choice ???.

• Shabby Paints

I agree with Joe Jones. :) I use what I have, just got to be creative :)

• Mimi

some rooms/closets etc. need ventilation from louvers.

• Gennel

I think you could use 2 nickels for proper spacing between shiplap panels, which should allow for adequate ventilation.

• Gennel

I think I'd like these in white, more like typical farmhouse style. I love this idea, though. Thanks for sharing it.