Glitter Gem Stone Soap DIY

$25

Making soap is way too much fun. The sky is the limit when it comes to colors, mixes and scents! Why not try your hand at this ombre gem stone effect? Gems and crystals are very trendy right now and it's time to add them to your bathroom sink. Pop-in some glitter and you just made handwashing a whole lot more interesting.
Step 1) Cut a 1/3 of a 2lb. block of glycerin soap into small cubes.
Step 2) Place into a microwave safe dish and heat for 1 minute until all pieces are evenly melted.

Step 3) Pour the melted glycerin into 3 dishes. Careful! It's hot!
Step 4) Add soap dye in the color of your choice to each dish. To create an ombre effect, I put 5-10 drops in the first dish, 4 drops in the second and 1 drop in the third. Mix well (and quickly) while the glycerin is still liquid.
See the variance in shades of teal?
Step 5) Add some sparkle to your soap, but adding a pinch of skin-safe soap glitter pigment or mica.
Step 5) Cut the bottom off of a water bottle.
Step 6) Pour your darkest shade of green into the bottom of the plastic water bottle. Let cool, so that the first layer hardens slightly.

Step 7) Add your second shade of green to the bottle and let harden.
Step 8) And finally, add your third shade of green. Let the entire thing harden until solid. If you are impatient (like me), you can speed up this process by placing the entire thing into your freezer.
Step 9) Once hardened completely, peel away the plastic water bottle.
Step 10) Begin cutting away your edges to create, lines/formation that resemble a gem. Have fun with this here! The sky is the limit.
Now, I have a whole collection of gem soaps ready for washing! Isn't the glitter so much fun? My kids can't stop using it!
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
30 Amazing Ways To Organize Your Shoes
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!

• Cathie

Can I buy these products at Hobby Lobby or Michael's?

• Debra

I make Melt & Pour soap a lot. Hobby Lobby & Michael’s soap products have lots of additives. If possible, it’s better to get them from a soap co, such as Arizona Soap Supply. You know you’re getting pure products. Amazon has many good companies too tho.

• MMsrx

How about using some essential oil to add a lovely scent to the soaps?

• Adrienne Matthews

Just bear in mind that glitter is a big pollutant in our environment. The tiny particles get into our waterways and collectively help contribute to the breakdown of or ecosystems. A great idea without the glitter.

• Dmk

There are several companies that sell biodegradable glitter online.

• Mary Coakley

Lovely will try this besides the microwave is there any other way Thanks

• C.B.

Nice project! Great way to get kids that don't like to take time to wash their hands, to wash them.😉 I agree, I wouldn't put glitter in my soap...kids would be attracted to the various colors as they are.😊