Making a Scented Soy-Wax Candle

$10

Making a soy wax candle is a fun, relaxing and rewarding hobby. Home made candles make a beautiful gift for any occasion and for any one. Here I will show you how I make them.
What You Need

• Soy Wax
  • A Pyrex jug to put in a double boiler saucepan (heat safe jar or measuring cup)
  • Thermometer
  • Candle glassware / mason jar
  • Wick
  • Fragrance oil
  • Wick holder
  • Spoon (to stir your wax)
Hot glue + glue gun to glue your wick to the base of the jar 
First, glue the wick to the centre of the jar.
Then melt your soy wax in a Pyrex jar until it's completely melted (the measurement ranges on how big your mason jar is). I do this by placing the Pyrex jar in a pot of boiling water.
Using your thermometer, check the temperature of the wax at approx. 80-82 degrees Celsius and add any fragrance oil of your choice. Stir for the next two minutes to make sure the oil is completely infused into the wax. Add more drops of oil for a stronger scented candle. Then you can choose to color your wax. Once your wax is ready, pour it into the mason jar you have prepared with the wick.

And there you have it, project complete! You can choose to embellish the jars.

• Soy Wax
  • A Pyrex jug to put in a double boiler saucepan
  • Thermometer

30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers

• Michelle Alexander
    Michelle Alexander

What did you use to color the wax?

• Michelle Alexander
    Michelle Alexander

What did you use to color the wax?
    • Sarinasala1
      Sarinasala1

You can use wax dye or crayons.mix it into the wax that's melted and stir.Hope this is helpful to you.
    • Jewellmartin
      Jewellmartin

Be sure you use real wax crayons, like Crayola. Some crayons today are plastic based and won't melt or blend the same way. Best wishes 😇
    • Ann Lawson McGee
      Ann Lawson McGee

You shouldn't use crayons at all. The pigments in the crayons can block the flow of wax through the wick and cause a fire hazard. Only colourants that are designed for candles should be used in candles.
  • Sheila Meyer
    Sheila Meyer

Can you melt you wax in the microwave instead
    • Kathi S
      Kathi S

Good Heavens, NO! Wax has a flashpoint and the micro waves are too hot and intense. Wax is not like chocolate. You need to follow the directions this person has laid out for you. Also never melt wax in a pan directly on stove. Always melt in glass measuring cup, in pan of boiling water. Hobby Lobby has wax and accessories you need.

1
    • Sarinasala1
      Sarinasala1

Hi Sheila,it's best to follow instructions as I have posted.I have never used a microwave oven to melt wax.I have always used a Pyrex jug with soy wax in it and melted in a double boiler saucepan.I hope this will help you.
    • Barb in Texas
      Barb in Texas

Or, instead of the Pyrex, just clean out a food can and use it. That way, no cleanup, you can just toss the can.
    • Ann Lawson McGee
      Ann Lawson McGee

Although Pyrex is a good brand, it can still shatter if there is a scratch or chip in the glass. it is better to use a tin can that has been cleaned thoroughly. I use coffee cans that I've bent one side to form a spout. It works much better and is safer overall. And the OP is correct - always, always use a double boiler method.
  • C. D. Scallan
    C. D. Scallan

Did you preheat your glass containers so they wouldn't crack when you poured the hot wax into them ?
    • Sarinasala1
      Sarinasala1

No I didn't preheat the glass containers.I let the wax cool to about 60-62 degrees Celsius and then poured wax into containers.I hope this will help you.
  • Bobbet72
    Bobbet72

Where do you buy soy wax? Thanks!
  • I want to do this! What do you color the wax with?

• Sarinasala1
      Sarinasala1

Hi Tink Shirley I used a crayon to colour the wax ,you only need a very small piece.

• Fer Boullosa Pazos
    Fer Boullosa Pazos

¿Inspirado? ¿Intentarás este proyecto? ¡Deja que el autor lo sepa!
  • Paige
    Paige

Great candle DIY! I LOVE it, it's so cute

My interest in being the best candle maker I could be, lead me to take many classes to learn how to perfect my art. I also read books and researched everything I could.

I discovered that while there was tons of information available, only a tiny bit of it was actually useful. I was also fortunate to have the help of many candle makers from whom I learned how to be a master at candle making and how to impress everyone with my great smelling candles.

Candle Making 4 You equips me with the knowledge and skill so I can make my own candles in the comfort of my own home. I save money and make money at the same time. Several bonuses will also be mine when I purchase this system.

It's a course that teaches you how to become a professional candle maker for fun or profit. I highly recommend it. Here's a link to their site.