From Drab to Fab!

$64

1. How to transform your dated fireplace, it's easier then you may think! But it does take time and patience to get the coverage you desire. Let me walk you through the steps I took, to turning my old drab fireplace into the focal point of your room.
from drab to fab
Start by collecting your materials, a large drop cloth to catch any paint that drips, gloves, a paint brush, measuring cup, rags (lots) and I used BEHR interior ceiling paint. I don't know about you, but when I got married I received a number of measuring cups. So I always use this one for any painting projects, I filled it half way up with water and the other half with the interior ceiling paint. Then I just mixed it with my paint brush.
from drab to fab
I tested my paint mixture, to ensure it was the right consistency under the mantel. Perfectly mixed  now for the fun part! Make sure you cover anything, you don't want to splash paint on! As this can get very messy.
from drab to fab
The only thing I needed to cover was my fireplace insert itself. So I found an old sheet and just tapped it on. You could also use a large piece of plastic or a table cloth. The brick really soaks up the paint, so expect to replenish half paint half water 💦 mixture often. So far I am very happy with how the top of the fireplace has turned out!
from drab to fab
About 8-9 hours later and I'm all done! Yes it took me pretty much all day, but I did stop for lunch and snuck in a 😴 nap! We all need a little break right?
from drab to fab
After letting the paint dry for at least 24 hours we added our artwork, we had our first 🔥 fire! Since taking on this project, we have gotten many nice compliments about how much brighter our living room looks. It really goes to show, that a little hard work does pay off. Like some people I was nervous to tackle such a big project! But then I thought....I can't make it look any worse then it does already. Be confident in yourself, do some research ask questions after all that's what Hometalk is here for!

• Measuring cup  (Wedding gift)
  • Paint  (Kent Building Supplies)
  • Paint brush  (Kent)

• Sha23002870

What do you do if there is some kind of sealer on the brick ?
    • WOL29121920

The before and after pictures show what a difference it has made in your living room. You did such a great job. I would love to try this....
  • Victoria Dungfelder

Years ago, I spray painted my red brick fireplace, blue. Can I still paint over this or do I need to somehow get rid of the blue spray paint first and if so, how do I do this. I appreciate hearing from you because I love what you've done with your fireplace and I want to do the same. I love the lighter color for my living room as you've done. Please send me any information you can on how I can do this. Thank you. My e-mail address is:
    morninggloryvictoria@gmail.com
    With Sincere Appreciation,
    Victoria

• Reiner MacPhail

Yes, you can do the same thing. But I'd look for primer first to cover all the blu. Cover completely, then let dry 24-48 hour . Then do your white wash
  • Tanya

This might be a stupid question but why did you mix your paint with water instead of just painting it with just the paint?
    • Reiner MacPhail

I wanted some of my brick to show through, if I would have just wanted a white fire place, then I wouldn't do the mixture with water. But I wanted to add a bit more character.

• Ana Bacallao

I think it looks wonderful! Congrats.

• Carol

I love the job you did and I'm glad you watered your paint. You can see more demmintion this way. Really good job. Makes me wish I had a fireplace.