DIY Travel Memories Shadow Box

$20
1 Day

Why store all your favorite travel mementos in a drawer, never to be seen again? Using an easy to find unfinished wood shadow box, customize it to fit your home decor and display your treasures!
diy travel memories shadowbox
diy travel memories shadowbox
The supplies you need are simple and probably already have on hand.
diy travel memories shadowbox
To begin, I removed the back, and stained the frame with General Finishes Java gel stain.
Odorless mineral spirits cleans the stain if you made a mess anywhere. I got a tiny bit on the clear plastic, and it wiped it right off. Make sure you wear gloves when you use it.
diy travel memories shadowbox
Next, I painted the inside of the shadowbox with white Annie Sloan chalk paint. You don't have to use chalk paint, it's just simply what I had on hand.

diy travel memories shadowbox
I decided the back was too plain painted white, so I used scrapbook paper to brighten it up.

My travel memory shadow box is used to keep shells in from the beach, so using carbon tracing paper, I traced an image of Florida onto the paper and cut it out.

diy travel memories shadowbox
I also cut to size another complimentary piece paper to cover the back with.
I used Mod Podge to attach the paper to the wood back, and the silhouette of Florida to the paper.
diy travel memories shadowbox
Let your shadow box dry completely before using it to store your keepsakes.
diy travel memories shadowbox
You could create a box featuring a skyline of the city you visited, cover the back in post cards from your journey, plane tickets, anything!
The sky is the limit. That's why this project is perfect to customize to your own style.

Come visit my blog to see more photos and links to the supplies you'll need to create your own.

• Shadow box  (craft store)
  • General Finishes java gel stain  (Amazon)
  • Annie Sloan chalk paint  (Local supplier)
Molly - Just a Little Creativity

• Evelyn Schaedel

So cute! Thanks for sharing!

• To Work With My Hands

I love this! My 9-year old daughter has started a collection of random things from each state we visit. This would be a great way for her to keep track of everything and display them in a really fun way. Thank you for sharing your unique project.