A More Comfortable Porch Swing Seat

$50

Give your standard porch or patio swing the look of a daybed or just make it more comfortable by doing this easy DIY!

For more tips and inspiration follow the link to my website at the end of this article!

porch swing update upholsterd seat

This is what my swing seat looked like before upholstering it and you can tell it's a standard swing.

Completed Upholstered Swing
Completed Upholstered Swing

A much more comfortable porch swing seat that has been upholstered with a little foam and sunbrella fabric!

porch swing update upholsterd seat

Step 1: Cut the foam with scissors to the right width. My swing is a standard size (purchased at Lowe’s) the seat is 18 in. x 48 in.

I left the foam as it arrived at 24 in. and cut it down from 72 in. to 48 in. 

porch swing update upholsterd seat

Step 2: Check to make sure the foam is the size you want. You do want some over hang so it wraps around the front of the swing seat.

porch swing update upholsterd seat

Step 3: Staple the foam to the swing seat. This will hold it in place while you place the fabric.

Push HARD to reach the wood through the foam. Staple 3 to 4 times on the front of the swing seat and just under the swing back.

Stapling the foam
Stapling the foam

Caution: Push down really hard so the staple makes it into the wood of the swing.

porch swing update upholsterd seat

Step 4: Measure and cut the fabric. Make sure you have enough to wrap around the foam. 

I left 16 in. all the way around for wrapping.

2 Individual Strips of Fabric
2 Individual Strips of Fabric

Step 5: There isn’t a way, without disassembling your swing, to upholster between the arm and the back.

Fix this problem by taking some of the leftover fabric, fold it into a 1 in. wide strip to attach in that space. 

You will need two strips.

porch swing update upholsterd seat

Step 6: Attach strips of fabric. Staple into the foam and underneath the swing. I cut the extra fabric away underneath and on the foam.

Then pushed it down into the hole where the staple is.

porch swing update upholsterd seat

Here is the fabric strip wrapped and stappled underneath.

porch swing update upholsterd seat

Step 7: Wrap the fabric and staple the front and back. Pull the fabric taught and staple UNDERNEATH the seat.

You can see the sun is starting to set, so this took about 2 hours start to finish!

porch swing update upholsterd seat

Step 8: Fold the raw edge of the fabric under before stapling around the back and the arms. Staple underneath.

You can see it won't be perfect and that's OK!

porch swing update upholsterd seat

Swing fabric on the back tucked around the arm and back. Not perfect - no big deal.

porch swing update upholsterd seat

Step 9: Iron the fabric on the seat swing. Add some decorative pillows and enjoy!

porch swing update upholsterd seat

COMPLETE! I've brushed and hosed off the Sunbrella fabric with water on a regular basis and it still looks this good.

Porch Daydreamer

• Elsie Knight Tyner

How can you keep the pillows on the swing in case a wind comes up? Wouldn't want them to blow away.
    • Porch Daydreamer

Thanks for the question!

If it's a big concern you can do a couple of stitches at the base of the pillow corners to the upholstered seat. They would blow over, but not to the ground.

If a bad storm is coming I bring my pillows inside, but in reality they do blow off onto the porch floor from time to time but never "away".

I always buy Sunbrella fabric so it can be hosed and scrubbed off, if they ever get dirty.

• Julie Carr Starkey

Cute dog!
    • Susie

Maybe a little Velcro?
    • Porch Daydreamer

Better answer than mine! I thought of that later 😁
    • Linda Sikut

FYI. I glued clothesline rope to the back of my pillows for my porch chairs then tied it loosely around the slats of the chair. It's worked well! We had a small tornado hit less than a mile from our house this summer and the pillows never moved. All we got was a lot of wind and rain and it didn't touch down until a mile away but the wind was brutal!
    • Karen Durante

I have pinned (or you can sew) ribbon to the back of my decorative pillow and tied it around the back bar of my bench into a bow. Stays in place and looks good from behind, too.
    • Ardale

Great idea! I just re-painted my porch swing black and love your idea! I have to make a cushion for mine because we live in the country and the wildlife come up on our deck every night so I have to bring my cushions and pillows in or they'd be shredded overnight. Love your idea and would do that if I could. I also don't understand how in the world you can keep that light colored fabric clean without washing it very often. Maybe it's easier when you live in town rather then in the country. We have lots of spiders, flying insects, birds (who love to leave presents all over the place), and all our other cute wildlife, not to mention our own dogs and cats. Oh yeah and trees (our yard is a forrest) with them dropping, nuts, leaves and tree sap which is almost impossible to get out of fabric even if it's sunbrella fabric. Your porch looks so pretty and inviting, just love it. I'd like to ask if you made or covered that cute little side table next to your swing? I could do this on our upper deck which is covered with a roof if it wasn't for the raccoons, squirrels, birds and possums who come up at night. Darn! But I love them all too!
    • Jewellmartin

@Ardale, @Porchdaydreamer said she always uses washable Sunbrella fabric. If she waters her flowers with a hose, she could wash the porch furniture at the same time. I think if I lived at your house, @Ardale, I would need heavy screens everywhere. You are like Snow White or Cinderella withvall the animals around, except your animals eat, scratch, and poop. Best wishes 😇
  • Gourmetartwork

Was the material you used for the seat cushion a waterproof or scrub proof one? Just wondering how you would clean it a
    since it's stapled to the chair. Thanks.
  • Kaitlynne Rektor

What kind of dog breed is that? It's adorable :)
    • Sandy

The dog is adorable! Wondering if it's a Coton De Tulear, maybe? I have one, they are the sweetest! They are a relative of the the Bichon's.
    • Porch Daydreamer

That's Mick and he is a full grown 4.8 lb Maltese! Thanks and he's is a cutie in every way. Loves the camera.
    • Reba

I have one that looks just like that dog. could be a shihi tzu
    • Robyn Garner

My Maltese Jackson was my rock and loyal companion through sudden onset blindness and subsequent dx of Multiple Sclerosis. They are the most wonderful dogs who want nothing but to be with you! The were bred just to be companions and are not "yappy" like other small breeds. Love 'em! 😎

• Joy

Great job! I have an older swing I am going to try your technique on. I have a beautiful fabric shower curtain that I would like to use. Do you think that material would work for this? My deck is uncovered.

• Porch Daydreamer

Glad you are going to try it! Sunbrella is made for the outdoors, so it's not only water resistant but fade resistant too. I like the shower curtain idea, but realize it may fade even though it is water resistant :)

• Sharon

How much fabric did you buy

• Sandy

Great swing. I love your dog!

• Jeri Walker

Thanks, I will look into that product.

• Lisa

You forgot to add “1 Puppy” to the list of materials for your project!