A More Comfortable Porch Swing Seat

$50

Give your standard porch or patio swing the look of a daybed or just make it more comfortable by doing this easy DIY!

For more tips and inspiration follow the link to my website at the end of this article!

porch swing update upholsterd seat

This is what my swing seat looked like before upholstering it and you can tell it's a standard swing.

Completed Upholstered Swing
Completed Upholstered Swing

A much more comfortable porch swing seat that has been upholstered with a little foam and sunbrella fabric!

porch swing update upholsterd seat

Step 1: Cut the foam with scissors to the right width. My swing is a standard size (purchased at Lowe’s) the seat is 18 in. x 48 in.

I left the foam as it arrived at 24 in. and cut it down from 72 in. to 48 in. 

porch swing update upholsterd seat

Step 2: Check to make sure the foam is the size you want. You do want some over hang so it wraps around the front of the swing seat.

porch swing update upholsterd seat

Step 3: Staple the foam to the swing seat. This will hold it in place while you place the fabric.

Push HARD to reach the wood through the foam. Staple 3 to 4 times on the front of the swing seat and just under the swing back.

Stapling the foam
Stapling the foam

Caution: Push down really hard so the staple makes it into the wood of the swing.

porch swing update upholsterd seat

Step 4: Measure and cut the fabric. Make sure you have enough to wrap around the foam. 

I left 16 in. all the way around for wrapping.

2 Individual Strips of Fabric
2 Individual Strips of Fabric

Step 5: There isn’t a way, without disassembling your swing, to upholster between the arm and the back.

Fix this problem by taking some of the leftover fabric, fold it into a 1 in. wide strip to attach in that space. 

You will need two strips.

porch swing update upholsterd seat

Step 6: Attach strips of fabric. Staple into the foam and underneath the swing. I cut the extra fabric away underneath and on the foam.

Then pushed it down into the hole where the staple is.

porch swing update upholsterd seat

Here is the fabric strip wrapped and stappled underneath.

porch swing update upholsterd seat

Step 7: Wrap the fabric and staple the front and back. Pull the fabric taught and staple UNDERNEATH the seat.

You can see the sun is starting to set, so this took about 2 hours start to finish!

porch swing update upholsterd seat

Step 8: Fold the raw edge of the fabric under before stapling around the back and the arms. Staple underneath.

You can see it won't be perfect and that's OK!

porch swing update upholsterd seat

Swing fabric on the back tucked around the arm and back. Not perfect - no big deal.

porch swing update upholsterd seat

Step 9: Iron the fabric on the seat swing. Add some decorative pillows and enjoy!

porch swing update upholsterd seat

COMPLETE! I've brushed and hosed off the Sunbrella fabric with water on a regular basis and it still looks this good.

Porch Daydreamer

• Joy

Great job! I have an older swing I am going to try your technique on. I have a beautiful fabric shower curtain that I would like to use. Do you think that material would work for this? My deck is uncovered.

• Porch Daydreamer

Glad you are going to try it! Sunbrella is made for the outdoors, so it's not only water resistant but fade resistant too. I like the shower curtain idea, but realize it may fade even though it is water resistant :)

• Sharon

How much fabric did you buy

• Sandy

Great swing. I love your dog!

• Jeri Walker

Thanks, I will look into that product.

• Lisa

You forgot to add “1 Puppy” to the list of materials for your project!