Judy
Judy
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Marlboro, NY

Wine Glass Candle Holder

1 Material
$0

Create a nautical beach inspired candle holder! I saw this project online and wanted to recreate it but I did not have all of the items suggested. So I decided to go for it.
wine glass candle holder
Gather your items. I bet you have them in your house. I decided to use a battery operated candle for safety. I had all items. If you do not, the dollar stores have everything in the picture. Or you can play with different size glasses or containers.
wine glass candle holder
First, put the sand and shells into the wine glass. Then, using hot glue place your circle base on the top of the glass (as your bottom) you can use cardboard for this. And then hot glue some twine around the rim of the glass for that beachy effect. Do the same thing to the stem of the wine glass.
wine glass candle holder
Cover the candle with twine and low temp glue gun since I was glueing into wax , I used a battery operated ones for safety.
wine glass candle holder
Place the candle on top and enjoy! You can hot glue the candle to the top or you can just place it on top so you can choose to remove it when you want.

• Shells, sand, wine glass, twins, hot glue, battery operated candle.  (I had them.)

• Jennifer Wright

Can you elaborate on how you get the sand & shells in the glass?
    • Judy

First I place the sand inside and then I placed the shells upside down. The thought was hoping when I flipped it over the shells would flip over as well. That sort of worked. But I ended up just juggling and wiggling until all the shells flipped over. I glued the cardboard circle on top with hot glue before flipping over.
      It would be nice if you could get the sand in and put the shells right side up. But I couldn't figure out how to keep the sand on top of the little circle

• Judy

I wished I used colored sand but it's what I had and it fits into my decor.
    • Juanita Wilson

How about cut a piece of plastic water bottle (bottom part) glue it to the card board place the sand in than the shells glue the rim of the glass flip the glass over onto the cardboard?? Seems like that would've been easier
    • Annie

If you use a plastic water bottle it would not look nearly as nice. I think a bit of jiggling is worth the effort
    • Sherry Miller

This is a really cute idea, I think Juanita Wilson's idea would work, you could camouflage the plastic by wrapping and gluing a piece of the jute twine around the outer edge, before turning the glass over and then gluing it to the cardboard. This idea also gives me more ideas of different materials to use, like using a mason jar (already has a bottom to fill) and thinkmof all the materials to use! Nature with twigs, and little bird eggs, rocks. Christmas! Easter! I Love Love this. Going to pin it and save it!

• Val

What if you glued the shells to the cardboard circle first then added the sand then glued the cardboard in place. You'd still have to jiggi to get the sand right, but the shells wld be the way you wanted them. You cld even put a light layer of moge podge down and sprinkle a little sand down with the shells then add the rest of the sand, glue the cardboard in place and flip.
    • Susan gibbs

perhaps you could put the sand in the wineglass. Glue the shells to the Cardboard top in the position you want. Then glue top to wineglass, turn it over and the sand will surround the shells in the position you like.

• Judy

Glueing to the cardboard might work. I wanted sand under them. The jiggling was easy enough.
      Love the mason jar idea too. Everyone is so creative.
      So much fun.
      Sherry please share your creations. I might steal your idea from my idea. Lol.
    • Jbr

OK - how about this minor adjustment to the previous ideas: The objects you want to see in certain positions on top of the sand, could, indeed be glued beforehand, with some additional steps. You could prop them up to the desired heights or tilts with some unobtrusive objects such as pebbles or sticks or transparent boosters of some sort - all glued down to the cardboard. Then you can fill the wine glass with enough sand to cover or partially cover said props. This can be tested out before the final gluing of the bottom scene to make sure you cover the props to your satisfaction.
      Joyce
    • Judy

I might have to do it over again!
    • Jewellmartin

@Judy, with an idea this good, I hope you do it over and over, each time differently. Best wishes 😇
    • Jlo3087759

FIRST MAKE A MESS TRYING TO FIGURE THE SAND PART OUT

• Judy

Lovely idea. I really wished I had colored sand or did color it. It's a nicer pop of color.
  • Donna Johnson

Use pringles lid and hot glue to bottom love them