Coastal Starfish Rope Coasters

$3

These coasters are super easy to make and they’re just right for a coastal tablescape. To make these, you’ll only need a few supplies and a set of four can be made in under thirty minutes plus a little more time for the paint to dry. These are definitely budget friendly, too!
I gathered rope, paint, a sheet of laminated burlap, and a starfish stencil to make the coasters. I also needed brushes, a pencil, scissor, hot glue, and a circular item for tracing the backing. 

Using a roll of tape, I traced four circles onto a sheet of laminated burlap.
After cutting the circles out, they will be used for the backing of each coaster. 
The rope I used is thick and it the ends fray easily. To keep the end from fraying, I used some hot glue to press it together. Of course, it’s easy to burn your fingers this way! I used a wooden skewer to spread the glue.
Next, curl the end of the rope onto itself and use a little hot glue to keep it in place. Again, I used a skewer to avoid finger burns.
Next, a small dot of hot glue was placed near the center of the backing and the rope was pressed down onto it. 
Once the first part of the rope is set, simple draw a bead of hot glue around it and begin winding the rope, adding glue along the way.
I used as little glue as possible while making sure that the rope was staying in place.  After filling the backing, the end was cut at an angle and hot glued in place.
I love using Waverly Chalk paint for lots of projects. This peacock color is one of my favorites. The stencil was centered on the coaster. I didn’t need to tape it down. I just held it in place as I painted.
Painting on this kind of rope is not going to give a smooth look, but I like the way it turned out. To protect the paint, I gave it a quick coat of Scotchguard Fabric Protector. 
These coastal rope coasters are a great addition to my breakfast nook table. The peacock paint color goes well with the place settings. Of course, any paint color could be used to match a particular decor.
I purchased the rope at JoAnn Fabric and Craft store using a 40% off coupon. All of the other supplies were on hand, keeping the cost for the coasters very low. It’s an easy project that doesn’t take long at all to make. 

To see more, please visit the link below.

• Rope
  • Hot Glue
  • Starfish Stencil

Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!
15 Memorial Day Crafts
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
Beverly Roderick at Across the Blvd