Pool Noodle Flower Float

$15

A while back I saw a post for a pool noodle chair and thought that, since my grandson was coming to visit , I'd surprise him with a float he could 'chill' in the pool with. Using the same method, this is what I came up with. (This is my first ever Hometalk post, so on that thought...here goes.
Cut 7 seven foot lengths of cording. Run one through each pool noodle, (I tied one end of the cord to a fishing weight to help it slide through the noodle). Bend noodle into a petal shape and knot securely.
Lay the noodles petal to petal to determine your color pattern if you are using more than one color. I used yellow, blue and aqua because those were the only colors left at dollar store when inspiration struck. 

This photo shows how the zip tie sticks up when tightened normally.  When the ribbed side is up, the end can be tucked between the noodles.  (Cut the ends down to half an inch before tucking them and they won’t stick out the other side. Viola – no scratches)  You only need one tie – there are two here only to illustrate the difference.
Next, use zip ties to secure the petals to each other.  Note that the zip ties should be secured with the ribbed side up. See photos.   I did them that way so the tab could be tucked into the petal.  With the tab sticking up, there’s a chance a person could be scratched by it.  It’s a bit tricky but it can be done by squeezing the pool noodle together while you tighten the tie.  
Now you will use a simple knotting technique to make the center of the flower.
Take the left end of the cording on one noodle and tie it to the right end of the cording of the noodle next to it.  Work your way around the circle, tying the left end to the right end until you complete the first set of knots.  
Begin a second row in the same way, tying the left cord to the right cord.
A third and fourth row are illustrated.  The circle will get smaller with each row of knots and begin to look like the center of a flower.
Push the remaining ends through the center hole if your strands are sticking out of the top of the pool float and secure them tightly with a zip tie.  These two photos show the top and bottom of the pool flower float.   
Toss it in the pool and enjoy a leisurely float. 
Sit in the center and it acts as a chair; lie on it and it will cradle you.  

Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
These Stunning Seating Ideas Will Blow You Away
23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make

• CHERYL KING

Since you are using zip ties how will you avoid the sharp edges?

• Flipturn

The picture shows the ends tucked down in between the two pieces of pool noodle. If you do not cut the remainder end off of the zip tie after tightening, you should have adequate length to tuck down.

• Jay5861990

Interesting, and looks good. I know it was designed for use in a pool,but wondering if it would be stable enough for waves on a lake? We had a dozen or so pool noodles in the boat --- this may put them to better use. Very cool.

When something is accomplished the term is

"voila" meaning "there it is" and not "viola" a stringed musical instrument in the violin family. I'm a proof reader. Sorry.

• Edie Zsuzsics

Always open to constructive grammar lessons. Lol. I don't think I'd use this float on a lake with waves. The wind and waves could carry it out of reach. Dangerous if one isn't wearing a life jacket.

• Linda Mitchell

can someone post a picture of a person sitting in this in the pool?

• Edie Zsuzsics

There is a photo of my grandson sitting in the noodle flower. Just scroll down on the post and it should be there.

• Wendy Roithner

You might want to put zip ties at the tops of the petals also to hold them together giving the flower more stability. (Place where dark lines show in attached picture).

• Flipturn

This float would make a cute photo prop with 7 kids' heads sticking out of the water 'inside' the petals, with hands toward the centre. The kids could stand in the shallow end, or in a depth so that just their heads are above the water; it would look like they are suspended from the flower.