Transform Your Staircase in Just 2 Hours!

$60

An easy project to change your boring white stair's kick plate or front into something out of a magazine. You're neighbors will be so envious!!

Watch the video below to see what it looks like now!
These are the materials that I used - carpenter's square, metal and vinyl tape measure, pencil, utility knife, credit card, cardboard box, and vinyl wall covering.

BEFORE:
BEFORE
Begin by vacuuming and wiping the stair treads and fronts. Watch the video to see the after!

AFTER:
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)
AFTER
Stand back and admire your hard work. And hey, invite the neighbors in to see how awesome your staircase looks!

For the full step-by-step instructions, check below:
Measure the width of the stair front.
I found the bottom stair front is thinner due to the fact that there is usually molding added to the bottom along the floor.
Measure the length of the stair front.
Using a tape measure, mark the measurements onto the back of the vinyl.
Place several pieces of cardboard under your vinyl before cutting.
Using a utility knife and carpenter's square, cut the vinyl along your measurement marks.
Remove the backing and adhere the vinyl to the stair front.
Use a credit card to smooth out any air bubbles.
Continue to measure, cut and cover your remaining stair fronts.

In case you missed it at the top of the page, scroll up to watch the video and see the result!

The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
15 Unique Father's Day Crafts
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home

• Twilla Victoria Jeanis

Have carpet on my stairs but really love this look....so is ripping it up too big a task for me? what's involved in the prep for getting the stairs ready after the carpet is pulled up??
    • Jan Loehr

Years ago, I decided to remove the full tread covered carpet from my stairs...just getting the carpet up was the most back breaking and difficult part of this job..there must have been a thousand staples to pull out after the carpet was off...that took an entire day...the stairs were all raw wood, not stained at all, but I did have pine steps so all I did was stain the steps with Minwax oak stain and that looked great..after the stain dried I used Minwax wipe on Poly to give a satin finish to the steps which turned out very good...painted the risers white which gave it a classic look...still have it today as I prefer my risers to remain white...I think when we sell, it will be the preferred look to prospective buyers...it did take me about two weeks to complete this labor and my back was not great for awhile but am so glad I got rid of the slippery carpet and now have safer wood steps.

• Lisa

What is the best way to paint around mirrors, door frames, and cabinets? Also, what is the most popular color to paint walls for resale.
    • Alicia W

To paint around mirrors, door frames and cabinets, use painter's tape to cover the edges of those items.
      Most popular color to paint walls for resale? I would think a neutral color such as off white or light gray, which is a very hot color right now.
  • Mschuz Grigsby

Great Idea... where did you get vinyl with adhesive backing?

• Krusafx Jenkins

Looks nice, if I can see the whole thing. The video is SOOOO dauntingly slow and pausing :(
  • Tina

So impressed! Clever and beautiful!