Alicia W
Alicia W
  • Middletown, PA

Transform Your Staircase in Just 2 Hours!

$60

An easy project to change your boring white stair's kick plate or front into something out of a magazine. You're neighbors will be so envious!!

transform your staircase in just 2 hours

These are the materials that I used: carpenter's square, metal and vinyl tape measure, pencil, utility knife, credit card, cardboard box, and vinyl wall covering.

BEFORE:

BEFORE
BEFORE

Begin by vacuuming and wiping the stair treads and fronts.

Measure the width of the stair front.

I found the bottom stair front is thinner due to the fact that there is usually molding added to the bottom along the floor.

Measure the length of the stair front.

Using a tape measure, mark the measurements onto the back of the vinyl.

Place several pieces of cardboard under your vinyl before cutting.

Using a utility knife and carpenter's square, cut the vinyl along your measurement marks.

Remove the backing and adhere the vinyl to the stair front.

Use a credit card to smooth out any air bubbles.

Continue to measure, cut and cover your remaining stair fronts.

AFTER:

AFTER
AFTER

Amazing, isn't it? This 2 hour trick has completely change my entryway and I love it!

Check out some more projects on !

We hope you enjoyed this awesome staircase project!

• Tape measure
  • Vinyl wall covering

• M

Would your heels scraping the risers tear the paper? My husband is always marking up our risers with the back of his gym shoes leaving black scuffs. I am looking for an alternative to the white paint. I have seen projects where they use tiles.
    • Mainiebets

I've seen people put very thin plexiglass over the paper or even on painted white risers.
  • Myrna

Hi,
    I have stairs with carpeting and would like to remove it. What is the least expensive way of getting that done? My bottom is ceramic tiles. I like that wood look can I get that done inexpensively?
  • Michelle Mounts

I just took the carpet off my stairs there is a half inch gap from the wall to staircase and the boards are 2-10 what would be a inexpensive way to make them look good until I get more money to complete the staircase?? I have been remodeling all of my downstairs. It has been a jorney trying to remodel and get moved in. Need all the help I can get. Thank you:)
    • Jj213342913

You could put a piece of trim or quarter round down to cover the gap.