My Porch Garden

$10
1 Day

This is my much beloved porch garden I take pride in it for a very personal reason. Several years ago, while vacationing in Key West, I suffered a massive stroke. The emergency room doctor told my husband that I would not live through the night. Now I use the strengths I do have to do what I love- create beautiful things.
my porch garden
Attached are a number of photos of my porch garden. Once an avid gardener, I had to come up with a way to continue doing something that I really enjoyed. Living in North Florida, I had to research plants that would stand up to the stifling Florida heat, yet provide beautiful colors.
my porch garden
I love the mixture of purples, yellows, and pinks, contrasted by the dark and light greens. I enjoy sitting in my garden getaway while enjoying a cold, refreshing drink.
my porch garden
my porch garden
my porch garden
The perfect pop of colors and textures that I have been working toward.
my porch garden
my porch garden
my porch garden
Don't let anyone tell you what can't be done. With a little time and a lot of determination, you can do it.
my porch garden
my porch garden
Thank you for looking at my lovely little garden. I hope you enjoyed. Peace be unto you.

• X

What stands out for me, odd as it may seem, is the handwriting on the welcome sign. Was that your own or did you use a template ? Lovely all around !
    • Tallahassee Girl

Thank you. I used a small piece of board and typed the word "WELCOME" on my computer. I played around with the fonts until I found one that I liked. Then I traced it onto the board and used my wood burner. The piece was enhanced with a decoupage flower concluding with an exterior sealant.
  • Shuganne

I love how you used rain boots as a planter. It brought back memories of my mom doing the same thing with my brother's worn out leather work boots. (She didn't even scrape the cow manure off!) I can't tell what you planted in there. Could you share the names of some of your favorite flowers, and maybe i.d. them for us newbies? Thanks so much for sharing!
    • Tallahassee Girl

The large ornamental leaves are coleus. They like the sun but are always thirsty. I also have kumquat and Myers lemon trees packed in there somewhere. There is a beautiful display of succulents planted in a strawberry pot, they care for themselves. The croton has the beautiful variegated yellow leaves, while the wondering jew has lovely purple leaves but can become invasive. I also have sunflowers and butterfly bushes that are just lovely. I planned my garden based on characteristics of each plant. Currently, in the process of planning my winter/fall garden as the "Dog days" of summer are taking a toll on the plants. Probably leaning toward ornamental greens, evergreens and a few winter veggies. To make things more interesting, I place little-found treasures like colored stones, statues, driftwood and a piece of petrified wood throughout. Happy gardening to ya.
  • Rachel

what cost 10 dollars?
    • Rachel

It is very pretty.Where did u get all the flowers from

• Loretta

Such an inspiration for all of us!!
  • Mc321769507

Beautiful you are inspiring. No one knows but God what will happen. I too suffered n illness and could not do much have been going to acupuncture for 2 years now and has made a world of difference. Love this hometalk so many cute ideas