DIY Concrete Lamp Shade Light

$20

Steph had an idea to create a lamp that was totally made of concrete which included the lamp shade. It was an interesting idea but I couldn't quite grasp the concept. Actually, it wasn't until the lamp was finished and I saw how it was put together that I had the "ahh ha" moment!

With Steph's idea in her head, we set out to find suitable molds for the base and lamp. Target had everything we needed. We picked up a few styles of water in various sizes of bottles for the base and found two flower pots in different sizes that would be perfect in which to cast the shade.

​A trip to The Home Depot was all we needed to fill the remainder of our materials list!
diy concrete lamp shade light
Pots from target for casting the lamp shade
diy concrete lamp shade light
Cut a hole in the smaller pot and silicone a PVC cap halfway in the hole.
diy concrete lamp shade light
Mix concrete and add it to a plastic mold. We used a life water bottle with the top cut off. Add a PVC pipe in the middle and tap mold many times to remove air bubbles.
diy concrete lamp shade light
Mix concrete and add to the larger pot then add the smaller pot in the middle. Keep adding concrete and vibrate the mold to remove air bubbles.
diy concrete lamp shade light
After 24 hours, remove the molds.
diy concrete lamp shade light
Add an LED light strip to the inside of the shade.
Watch the video! We go through all the steps in more details and visit our website for a link to all the materials we used!
diy concrete lamp shade light
After
Mother Daughter Projects

• Equ13024608

Looks okay,but this is not for the home, and not even sure if its for the outside. What does this "lamp" weigh?
    • Mary

Also great for outside on a patio, where exposed to some weather.

• Mary

are the led lights solor power?

• Lisa West

I wonder if this could be done with a normal light socket and wiring? To possible hang from a ceiling. The concrete would have to very thing about half inch or so as to not RIP wiring apart. It's most deffinatly fire proof. I like the idea. For those who feel it would fall over make a concrete plate for the bottom.

• Mother Daughter Projects

It would work as long as long as it was securely hung from the ceiling. I've seen concrete used in hanging fixtures. I would probably use a lighting kit that is designed for hanging. Just be sure to be safe.

• Tina Dunlap

Maybe for outside.

• Dee

Cute accent lamp! I can see lots of possibilities to accent it with paint,art work, and othe artsy ways! How is the light strips powered?