Built a Custom Tray Divider Storage Unit Into My Existing Cabinet!

$30

My cabinet was typical... a small shelf and pull out drawer. The cabinet would fill up with junk and was hard to access anything.

I am on this kick of converting cabinets into drawers... so I figured I would give it a shot here too.
The 1st thing I did was raise the pull out internal drawer to the very top. It would hold smaller items and I needed to make enough room on the bottom for the tray divider.
I did have to remove the little shelf in the back... a sledge hammer is a small space is not easy, but it did the trick.

Here is the internal drawer relocated. Just the right height to prevent people from over filling it with big items. Plus I could reuse the existing hardware.
I built a simple box.. making it slope from front to back so we could reach any little items.

Next I need to make a few more dividers to go into the middle.

I built it with 1/2 plywood with screws on the front back and bottom.... all of which are hidden from view.
Here it is installed with the full extension glides and the door mounted.

The door had some European hinges... so I used Bondo to fill the holes... including the door knob hole. (I will be adding a drawer pull bar handle instead.)

Here you can see one of the screws holding the door to the front of the box. I started my screw before looking at the door and quickly realized I needed to move it over so the 1 1/4 screw would go into the thicker sides and not in the panel itself.

I also added one on the bottom of each side... I needed to use a LONG extension because my impact driver would not fit in-between the dividers on the sides.
Overall it is great to have a custom solution to meet our needs! When the wife comes home, I am going to wait to se how long it takes her to notice the change. Surprise!

Yes.. I told her I was going to do it before I started... I always pass things by the boss first. She typically never complains because she knows it will be an improvement.

Hope this inspires you.

• Trisa Fultz

I want to do this also. Could a nice cutting board be built into the top also, and wheels on the bottom and use it as a mobile, working, prep. Island?

• June Vassallo

when can you come to New York to make me one. Love the idea

• Joe Jones

This is a DIY site. For what you want you need Angie’s list

• MARY

The fabric on my outdoor swing, which is secured by metal at each of 3 sections with metal at the seat locations has ripped loose at on of the seats. Other than taking it to someone and having it redone., how can I fix it?

• Carol Z

About 50 years ago, my mom and dad did a kitchen upgrade, and the carpenter's who built the cabinets also built slide out shelving! Wed never seen it before. It was so new then, and people who visited always commented on this fantastic feature. I'm glad this is starting to make a lot of lives easier when it comes to kitchen storage and ease!

• David McIntosh

All of my kitchen had some pull out shelves... but they were so shallow things would fall over and get stuck behind it... meaning you could not push it back in without fishing around for the lost item.

On my project page you can see where I converted most of them to drawers. Love it so much more than what we had.

• Rebecca Gaines

This is an awesome idea! I will definitely be following your lead. Thanks!