DIY CHANDELIER TUTORIAL

$30

Have you ever wanted something so bad you could taste it, but it was not going to work with your budget? When we made over our one Master Bedroom Closet into a separate His and Hers – I wanted a gorgeous, sparkly chandelier in my she-chic closet. However, it wasn’t in the budget. This was my solution!

I stumbled upon a vintage find I had stashed away from a garage sale and inspiration struck!

To begin, I took one of the baskets and a pendant light kit I purchased from Lowe’s.

You can wire the light kit up to any standard ceiling fixture and it easily separates to adjust the length. It’s perfect if you want to add the basket like I did!

A threaded cover is at the base that you simply unscrew and separate from the base plate.

Now you can pull the cord completely from the base allowing you to thread it through the mesh basket. The center hole in my mesh basket was wide enough for the cord to go through easily, but yours may need a bit of adjusting depending on the size of your basket.

One I had the basket on the light fixture, I simply repeated the above steps in reverse to reassemble the light kit.

Now for the fun part!

I went to Hobby Lobby and found lots of acrylic crystals and sparkly things in their wedding decor aisle. I also scoured my Christmas ornaments for any crystal type of ornament and got to work.

Here’s a tip – set your basket in a vase or something tall the you can easily turn to add the crystal drops.

I separated each crystal from the strand it came on. Then I added jump rings to each individual crystal. You can find the jump rings in the jewelry findings area at your craft store. They are easily bendable and great to work with.

I just added them around the edge of my basket, making sure to even space each crystal.

Next I wanted to create depth by adding crystals to the inside of the basket. This is where the ornaments and other dangling crystal you find come into play.

There’s no exact method – just use your eye and create a look you love with the items you have. It took trial and error to get the look I wanted, but it only took me about 45 mins to assemble all the crystals to get a look I loved.

Finally, we can hang it up! We removed the old, ugly fluorescent light that was in the closet.

*I’ll stop here to give a disclaimer. We are not licensed electricians and don’t feel qualified to give out electrical advice. You can find lots of tutorials on the world wide web teaching you how to wire a light, or you can contact a local electrician to wire the light for you.

So, since we aren’t pros – we’re going to skip the wiring step.

Our electrical box was right next to the door, so we had the length of the pendant cord to allow us to place it in the center of our closet’s ceiling.

Since we hung the mesh baskets with hooks, we made sure they were screwed into the stud for security. We added some clips that we found in our tool box to help hold the cord against the ceiling.

They are hard to see, but if you look closely, you can see that white u-clip just above the basket.

The last step was to add the crystal globe. There are lots of different types of shades, cages and globes you can use with these pendant light kits and I chose this sparkly one.

This was part of a Master Bedroom Renovation - to see all the details - click here.

Noting Grace

• Cheryl Zeis

Just wondering why you didn't spray paint the basket before adding crystals?

• Tracy Rymenams

Would like to see how it looks from afar, like from the closet doorway.👍

• Barbara

Im confused the globe is solar powered how was the lighting kit and the integrated?

• Bill Boyden

The pendant globe was used FROM a Solar Light. Only the globe was used around the ceiling lamp.

• Sylvia velazquez

Hi, Love that because l like a Lot

transform. Ley Me Tell you that at

first l saw a fan top cover jaja.

But now lam going to try it with a fan cover. Love the one you did

very nice and pretty. Congrats👏

Syl from Puerto Rico🙋🏼

• Daniel Delgado Jr.

I would like to try using Christmas lights, the ones that that hang like icicles using the three tier wire mesh holders any ideas how to get started you guys start from the top do I start from the bottom do I go down the center do I wrap the chains or should I just wing it and go for it