How can I get urine odor out of clothes?

CollinLsr27639303Shiela
+11

My mom is in the nursing home. I have to wash her clothes twice to eliminate the odor. I've tried adding vinegar to the bleach cycle. Still takes 2 washings. I need help.

• Tammy
    Tammy

Make a scent booster with Epsom salt and essential oils your favorite kind I use gardenia and freesia. Add a half a cup to the wash along with a half a cup of baking soda. Wash on the highest temperature the closing will allow and do an extra rinse cycle. Good luck and God bless
  • Chubby58
    Chubby58

Have you tried 20 Mule Team Borax Laundry booster powder or Dreft. If not you might have to get a product called Urine Off for Seniors. You can get all of the above at Walmart.

• Bonnie Merchant
    Bonnie Merchant

That particular smell of urine comes from naturally occurring bacteria and uric acid crystals, or in other words crystallized urine residue. These crystals frequently get trapped in porous damp surfaces, like clothes, fabric, or carpets, and release a strong ammonia scent as bacteria feeds on the urine.

Place all soiled items in washing machine. Do not mix your urine-stained or affected clothes with your regular laundry. It's best to keep them separate until the stain is removed. Add a one-pound box of baking soda. Add this to your regular detergent and machine wash as usual.

Another alternative is Natures Miracle which is a urine remover/deodorizer that you can buy at pet stores. It is an enzyme cleaner. There are several different types and come in pourable and spray bottles. I figure if it works for dog and cat urine it probably would work for human urine... although I know they are all chemically different, esp cat's which has more proteins. Good luck!
  • Jody
    Jody

Use Lemon Scent Pine Sol in your wash. It will clean and deodorize.
  • Denise
    Denise

Spray hydrogen peroxide on the areas. Let sit for about an hour and then wash with a baby detergent like Dreft.
  • Michelle Stark
    Michelle Stark

Vinegar will work if used correctly. Just adding it to a wash cycle doesn't give it enough time to break down the ammonia in urine. It's time consuming but once the urine is broken down and actually eliminated from the clothing you won't need this regimen again unless you leave soiled clothing for a long period of time. First, invest in 6 gallons of vinegar and a 1/2 gallon of cheap Vodka. Place 4-5 articles of clothing at a time in your washing machine and pour 1/2 gallon of undiluted vinegar on the clothing. Take a long stick and really saturate the clothing. Close the lid and let them sit for 12-24 hours. Repeat with another 6 items without removing the first set. (I would do this for 3 sets of 5-6 pieces of clothing or until you have a full load for your washer's capacity) After the time has elapsed run all of the clothing in a normal wash with a cup of baking soda, laundry detergent, fabric softener, and an extra rinse cycle. Tumble dry on a low heat until mostly dry. Then fill a clean spray bottle with Vodka. Take each piece out and spray them liberally with Vodka. (It kills all of the saturated fibers and elimates any vinegar smell remaining) If you can hang dry them in the sun that would be ideal, if not let them set for a couple of hours. Lastly, give the entire load a normal wash and rinse and tumble dry until completely dry. The urine smell will be completely gone. Good Luck!
  • Firefly
    Firefly

Have you tried a product like Nature's Miracle? It is for pet stains, which are strong and stubborn, so it might work for your issue as well. I get mine from the pet food store.
  • Bev
    Bev

My Mom taught me to use warm/cold water with ammonia (lemon scented is more tolerable) and soak any clothing that has strong perspiration or urine odors for a while BEFORE washing it as usual. The ammonia negates the acidity of these organic fluids.

• Cheryl
    Cheryl

Add Borax to your wash.
  • Debby Fields Rosser
    Debby Fields Rosser

Thanks for all of your quick responses! I may begin with the simplest and graduate up if needed. My washer is front loading and I don't collect her clothes daily. Again, thank you for your willingness to help! God bless all of you.
  • Shiela
    Shiela

Try SCOE 10X , hopefully it'll work
  • Lsr27639303
    Lsr27639303

Use hot water and use Oxyclean detergent.
  • Collin
    Collin

This article is very useful, you can refer to this article

https://hometoolsavvy.com/how-to-get-urine-smell-out-of-clothes/