How do I fix my driveway with very little money?

Steve JonesKatAychBernadette Staal
+6

• Nancy
    Nancy

See if you can find a contractor who is removing old blacktop. They can crush and screen it. I believe it is very inexpensive. It can be spread and somewhat smoothed over the current driveway. It settles down and seems to stay in place. If you live where you get snow, remind the plow person to slightly Life the plow so as not to pile it up.

• Bonnie
    Bonnie

Maybe you could cover it with gravel?
    William

I have patched driveways on the cheap. I once had a driveway that sunk where the homeowners parked their car. The asphalt cracked and gravel was showing. Removed all the cracked asphalt. Dug down a few inches packed it down. Filled with gravel packed that down. Got bags of asphalt, filled the area, and packed that down. Following year the homeowner sealed the whole driveway to get the color back. Good as new.
  • Julie
    Julie

I would love to see pictures of this. More how too's
  • Kristin
    Kristin

It looks like you might have a drainage problem that s/b addressed first.
  • JoLeen Bolton
    JoLeen Bolton

Your county could probably give you lots of how-to instructions for preparing it for repaving, if that's your goal. That way, you'd be able to expect lasting results for all the work you're going to be doing.
  • Bernadette Staal
    Bernadette Staal

Flatten the surface remove any remaining original hard matter e.g. concrete or similar. Buy some sand and compact that down into the dirt with a compacter then add a layer of road base (small stones) when driven on this will settle into the sand. To maintain the size of the drive, smarten it up and hold the stones in place you may wish to add a wooden surround.
  • KatAych
    KatAych

What about using Quickrete and those molds?? Easy, cheap, and looks great!
  • Steve Jones
    Steve Jones

My favorite cheap is to put down quarter minus crushed rock, maybe spread some sand through it then on a nice warm day spread cement right out of the bag over it, like feeding chickens then with the finest mist spray you can manage lightly spray water over it just to dampen it then leave it alone probably overnight. That mix will help keep the stuff from shifting as you drive over it. Do not overdo the water, just a light mist to activate the cement, you don't want to wash it to the bottom.