My toilet smells like urine, why?

+5
It's not dirty, there are no leaks, cleaning it doesn't help, what is the problem and how do I fix it?

• Caseyem11 Caseyem11 on Jul 29, 2017
    Just a thought - maybe the wax ring is the source of the odor.
  • Lholley Lholley on Jul 29, 2017
    This may seem obvious, but have you washed any mats you may have on the floor? Also, check baseboards. It may not be the toilet at all.
  • Ginny Ginny on Jul 29, 2017
    If it smells that bad, buy a new one. Are you sure the smell is coming from the seat and not the floor around the toilet?
  • Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Jul 29, 2017
    Do a last rinse with vinegar water, plenty of vinegar, let it dry, should take care of the odor. Make sure you do this on every inch of the toilet and about six inches or more out on the floor. If you have tile and grout, it could be in the grout, or around the base of the toilet that has a slight gap at the floor. If you can remove the covers that go over the bolt on the toilet make sure you do them too.
  • Molly Anmar Molly Anmar on Jul 29, 2017
    This article has loads of great suggestions, Linda:
  • Brenda Brenda on Jul 30, 2017
    You may have a leak that is only visible on the sub-flooring
  • Linda Linda on Aug 02, 2017
    thank you guys, I read all your comments and the most likely was the wax ring, we replaced it and the odor is gone, what a relief, thanks again